Time for a Change in Show Concepts ?

Yes, but this is an emotionally-based activity. People love drum corps because of how they feel, not how they think. Or at least, if you're not going to engage your viewer emotionally, what's the point? At that point, you're only doing it for the judges...except, the judges don't pay admission, buy souvies, etc.

EDIT: More importantly, music moves us emotionally. That's the whole point of it. At least, that's what I think the point of it is.

That may be true for you and many others, but please don't speak for all of us. Emotional response isn't the WHOLE point, it's one of them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. When I form my own corps, we're going to have a DJ and rap dancing. :sad:

Please incorporate vinyl record scratching into the show. I know the effect can be achieved through a synthesizer, but if we learned anything from The Cavaliers' Zen fountain in the pit, it's that people dig authenticity.

Which brings me to the question: How many pit members does it take to play the Zen fountain?

Two: One to play the fountain, and one to NOT play the fountain.

I'll let you think about that for awhile.

So, do we dumb down the design and the activity so Joe the plumber doesn't have to think? I'd much rather have a culture where shows have meaning, intrigue, and intellect. Someone please explain how random drill and music can be as effective as a program that has a unified structure. IMO, A good composition should have artistic unity, weather it's a painting, a symphony, architecture, or a drum corps show.

:sad:

So, do we dumb down the design and the activity so Joe the plumber doesn't have to think? I'd much rather have a culture where shows have meaning, intrigue, and intellect. Someone please explain how random drill and music can be as effective as a program that has a unified structure. IMO, A good composition should have artistic unity, weather it's a painting, a symphony, architecture, or a drum corps show.

i am all for meaning, intrigue and intellect. hell i judge GE.

but sometimes i think corps try to go too deep

No. When I form my own corps, we're going to have a DJ and rap dancing. :sad:

:doh::beer::sad:

That would be scary! :doh:

Didn't we see that in the movie "Drum Line???"

Not very cutting edge! :doh:

Edited by jjeffeory

YOU MISS MY POINT!

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO GO AND DO THAT RESEARCH TO GET IT?

(is this thing on?)

What do you need to get? The show concept in 1930. They will be presenting you sounds and images reflecting the times. Since you were not alive in 1930, these will likely be new and unfamiliar to you. Just sit back and soak them in. Listen. Watch. Learn.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant in my post earlier in the thread.

To me, a drum corps show should almost be like the animated movies we have with multiple layers of humor. There are visual gags and silly jokes to get the kids laughing, and then very subtle references and jokes for the adults. In short, a show needs to have depth. The Cavaliers are very good at beating you over the head with their show theme, and you'd be hard pressed to find a newcomer at a show who walked away not understanding what their show was about. However, a seasoned fan can watch their shows multiple times and uncover layers upon layers of subtlety. BD this year seems to follow this pattern as well. It's very easy to "get" this show when you see it live, but there's more than meets the eye if you choose to look that far.

Something for everyone.

THIS!

There are actually several shows this year (and past years) that I enjoyed, but did not get all the nuiances. I have since listened to the commentary, listen to some of the original music, and even read a little on the subjects. Some may not choose to do this and just enjoy the sights and sounds. Good for them. Those that want to know more and get a deeper understanding, good for them.

I think the animated movies analogy is a great one. Ever notice kids and adults laugh at these movies...just at different times...

How about a three-year moratorium on themes to promote utmost musical creativity and stifle visually-focused shows?

Make it a permanent ban and you got a deal. :lol:

Themed Shows :tongue:

Post 2000 DCI is predominatly Marching Musical Theater with a few exceptions. Just drum and B flat brass marching "bands" trying to impress judges with unrecognizable music accompaning non-stop evolving geometric drill formations. B O R I NG! (Apologies to the "Corps" that still remember the people in the stadium seats)..........