Atlanta's Brave New World

Alright guys, we're just a little more than an hour from step-off. Here's the official line-up straight from DCI:

Alliance – 4:00 p.m.

Atlanta CorpsVets – 4:17 p.m.

Cascades – 4:34 p.m.

Jersey Surf – 4:51 p.m.

Pioneer – 5:08 p.m.

Pacific Crest – 5:25 p.m.

Mandarins – 5:42 p.m.

Madison Scouts – 5:59 p.m.

Intermission

Spirit – 6:33 p.m.

Crossmen – 6:50 p.m.

Colts – 7:07 p.m.

The Academy – 7:24 p.m.

Troopers – 7:41p.m.

Glassmen – 7:58 p.m.

Blue Knights – 8:15 p.m.

Blue Stars – 8:32 p.m.

Intermission

Phantom Regiment – 9:06 p.m.

Boston Crusaders – 9:23 p.m.

Bluecoats – 9:40 p.m.

Carolina Crown – 9:57 p.m.

Santa Clara Vanguard – 10:14 p.m.

Holy Name Cadets – 10:31 p.m.

The Cavaliers – 10:48 p.m.

Blue Devils – 11:05 p.m.

What do you expect to see tonight? Who's going to the show? Anyone there right now reading who can share some thoughts? I'll be ducking in and out throughout the day, but discuss your DCI Atlanta thoughts and discussions here.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some quick thoughts before the show:

• Boston's been pretty close to Phantom and Blue Stars. Will their late performance time give them a boost and help them come out on top?
  • One of the most exciting battles to watch will be Troopers, Colts and Academy all fighting for that 12-spot. I'm glad to see they'll be competing consecutively.
  • The top spot seems pretty set, but how will 2 through 5 shake out? Will we see Murfreesboro results or are the judges waiting for a major show to mix things up? I think we'll have at least one surprise in those spots tonight.
  • Speaking of the Blue Devils though, I wouldn't be surprised to see either the Cavaliers or Cadets gain about a point on them. I'm a fan so I'm hoping it's the Cavaliers, but both are scoring pretty close. I can't imagine that BD will continue to sweep captions with everyone present, so someone's going to start making up some serious ground.

Judging panel??

Who's going to be watching on Fan Network? I confess, I haven't ever purchased a membership so the only shows I've ever seen on there have been the freebies at the start of the season.

Southwestern? I'm heading to the Dome in about an hour, and I hope the corps will be there too! :tongue:

:cool:

Thanks for the catch!

Who's going to be watching on Fan Network? I confess, I haven't ever purchased a membership so the only shows I've ever seen on there have been the freebies at the start of the season.

I'll be watching throughout the afternoon and evening. Widescreen and surround-sound are setup and ready to go. In addition to seeing some of the changes that have been put in since last week's San Antonio show, I'm really looking forward to seeing Alliance and CorpsVets for the first time this year.

Enjoy your afternoon/evening here and we'll do our best to keep things running smoothly on the forums.

-john

Just some quick thoughts before the show:

• Boston's been pretty close to Phantom and Blue Stars. Will their late performance time give them a boost and help them come out on top?
  • One of the most exciting battles to watch will be Troopers, Colts and Academy all fighting for that 12-spot. I'm glad to see they'll be competing consecutively.
  • The top spot seems pretty set, but how will 2 through 5 shake out? Will we see Murfreesboro results or are the judges waiting for a major show to mix things up? I think we'll have at least one surprise in those spots tonight.
  • Speaking of the Blue Devils though, I wouldn't be surprised to see either the Cavaliers or Cadets gain about a point on them. I'm a fan so I'm hoping it's the Cavaliers, but both are scoring pretty close. I can't imagine that BD will continue to sweep captions with everyone present, so someone's going to start making up some serious ground.

Just by looking at the order, I think the Blue Stars may be hurt, as was Boston, by appearing just before intermission. Boston has a good shot of over taking Phantom once again, but Phantom has improved (at least I am reading they have), so we'll see. I think the 6, 7, 8, 9 combination will be:

6. Bluecoats 88.4

7. Phantom 87.3

8. Boston 87.0

9. Blue Stars 86.8

I like Troopers for the 12th spot. Way to go Fred Morris! What a job he has done with the Troopers over the past 3 seasons.

And at the top I think the Blue Devils are still the corps to beat. I am rooting for HNC cause I love that show, but my head says BD. And I like BD's show a lot. Great stuff! The chairs are used brilliantly, the arrangements are some of the best in a while out of Concord, and the precision is classic BD!

I think the Cavaliers will be in 2nd. This is a show that has grown on me. I am really starting to love this production. They are such smart programmers. The theme may be mountain climbing, hiking, etc., but they treat it non-literally using impressions and concepts that work. And I am digging the music more and more. I actually went to a brass band site to hear the tune "Extreme Make Over" (the main theme in their show) performed by the Black Dyke Mills Brass Band of England. WOW! Now that is a great brass group. People ought to check that out.

HNC will be 3rd again, but may close the gap some. They have a great show too and it's something different from Cavies and BD. In fact, I love the contrast between the top 3, even top 5. All different, all good. Cadets this year really have no theme. I know, people will point to Conflict and Resolution, a concept within West Side Story, as being their theme, but in essence it's just a title describing the elements found in the music. The show is really a style show. A style of music by a specific composer, and they just put great drill to it and sell the music. So in this case it's all about music + motion = cool show. Nothing more to get really.

I see SCV in 4th, but they will likely be right on the heels of the Cadets, and perhaps even Cavaliers. This is a show that is growing by the second, and the overall music/visual combination is first rate. As good as anything on the field this year. Maybe not quite the demand of others, but demand is only one aspect of MANY aspects. Maybe it's not as innovative and envelope-pushing, as some would want, but that is also not really judged. Execution, content, flow, demand, logical resolution, musicality, and selling the effect are things that get judged and things that sell. This one sells...to the fans and judges!

Carolina Crown should be 5th, but also close to SCV, Cadets, and maybe Cavaliers. I still see a bit of spread between 2nd place and BD, but I do believe that will be closed come Finals.

May all the corps nail their shows tonight. Have fun!

I think

Edited by jwillis35