Atlanta's Brave New World

Any reason why you haven't been to a show this year?

Those shows I have no chance to see live, so I have to rate them going off what I have. Why don't you see Crown live, and then make an assessment?

seeing any show live is the only way you can truly get a feel for it and understand it. and seeing crown live makes it all the more better. and it would go for all the other corps as well

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah.. crown is a whole different animal live. they have a brass sound that nobody matches.

Any reason why you haven't been to a show this year?

Those shows I have no chance to see live, so I have to rate them going off what I have. Why don't you see Crown live, and then make an assessment?

I was supposed to see Crown in New Jersey earlier this month. It fell through, unfotunately.

I know that you haven't seen most of the shows you love so much live...including the very ones you list as being your favorite show and favorite year in your profile. In order to maintain reason, I'd ask that you accept that anybody who did see them live is a better judge of their GE than you if you're going to try to pull that type of argument with me regarding this year's shows. That would be only fair.

But like I said, I do agree with you to a point about GE. The judges need to get a clue, and it's not just about BD. GE scores from contest to contest have just bizzarely erratic...and I can't simply buy that it's because of peformance levels on any night. GE relies way too much on design for spreads to fluctuate that much from night to night when the same corps go against each other.

yeah.. crown is a whole different animal live. they have a brass sound that nobody matches.

Even the webcasts show me that. I'm loving their brass this year, and I think last night's performance was extraordinary.

Even the webcasts show me that. I'm loving their brass this year, and I think last night's performance was extraordinary.

Then why are we arguing...

Then why are we arguing...

Maybe bc he enjoys BD's show more?? And thinks they have more GE? Just a thought.

Maybe bc he enjoys BD's show more?? And thinks they have more GE? Just a thought.

That is true, though not necessary to understand the point I was trying to get across to Mr Hrothgar.

I do like Crown's brass the best of anybody this year, though.

My wife stayed at the house and told me there was a nice rain shower in the Perimeter area. Were any Corps interrupted by weather prior to their performance yesterday? Was the World Congress Center or the underground parking opened for the Corps? I walked around downtown after the show and didn't notice any evidence of a shower.

I've seen about 10 live runthroughs of Crown, and it's true that it's quite a different show live than on the webcasts. However, that can be said about most corps this year.

I was expecting SCV to impress me, but seeing it live moved me in ways that I have never experienced at a drum corps show ever. After Atlanta, I had a new level or respect for Madison, Troopers, and Bluecoats. Most of the shows had underwhelmed me on the webcasts, but they definitely impressed me in Atlanta (especially Troop).

I think it's fair to say that BD is the cleanest corps on the field at the moment. However, I really, really did not like the show. I was really hoping that seeing it live would sort of persuade me that they're as good as the scores indicate, and while they may technically be that good, the show does absolutely nothing for me on an aesthetic level.

All of that being said, I think the webcasts are a pretty accurate representation of the shows as a whole. Emotionally, it helps to see it live, but you can pretty much gauge how you feel about most corps based off of the webcasts and the VOD. My opinions about some corps may have changed a bit after Atlanta, but on the whole, I still feel the same as I did before I saw everyone live.

I would also like to point out that I cannot believe The Cadets aren't going to win this year. I understand the fact that there are still 2 weeks left in the season, but I don't think the judges are going to give the corps the push they need, no matter how much they improve over the final stretch of the season. I think this show will go down as a classic regardless of its placement come finals night, but I really wish (and hope) that they can pull something off.

edit because I've been awake for 40 hours and I can't seem to type.

Edited by Octavarium