A little BD love

I must have missed the two minutes of absolute silence in their show. I may be losing it in my old age, but I could have sworn I heard music throughout their whole show. Maybe not between productions when the audience was applauding and such, but that only lasted a few seconds. :satisfied:

Sorry, I should have specified more. The Brass wasn't playing for 2 minutes.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna say this now. If you don't get to see this show live, you have my sympathy.

Considering how many people I respect who say that it's very different live, I'm pretty sad that I won't get to see it live.

I must have missed the two minutes of absolute silence in their show. I may be losing it in my old age, but I could have sworn I heard music throughout their whole show. Maybe not between productions when the audience was applauding and such, but that only lasted a few seconds. :satisfied:

He was talking about the whole hornline tacit, but yes there was tasty synth, drum, tuba, and individual solos during a large section of the show.

He was talking about the whole hornline tacit, but yes there was tasty synth, drum, tuba, and individual solos during a large section of the show.

That is true. And It's hard to play something as exposed as that as well as they do.

Since I'm going to finals this year :satisfied:, I look forward to seeing 1930. They haven't reached me like other corps have over a computer screen, and many people say you have to see them live to understand, so we'll see. As of now, on the pace they are going at, this would be one of my least favorite championship shows.

Yeah 1930 is one of those shows that has to be witnessed in person to really fully enjoy. I remember mentioning their thin brass sound after the Denver show, and now that I have seen it live, I have to admit that this show is the real deal. They sound a bazillion times better in person.

I know there are homers and honks, but you can't just annoint or trash a show just because it has a particular corps' name on it.

I've been watching BD since their first ever public performance. I marched in the last VK corps to ever beat BD. I don't qualify a show before I see it. I can think of one BD show in particular that I had heard some negative things about, and that was the 98 show. I chose to ignore the comments I had read, and watched the show with an open mind. It is one of my favorite BD shows ever, and it's up there on my list of favorite shows by any corps, too.

I'm sure it's not easy being a lightning rod. We took a lot of heat in VK when we took the entertainment route. We got the "that's not drum corps" people; we got the "Bridgemen wannabe" people. But, for the most part, people liked us.

Blue Devils are another kind of lightning rod. But they get extra heat. If they win, the fans of other corps acuse them of marching an easy drill, or a variety of other complaints. If they don't win, it's almost an anti-BD celebration.

There's also a general opinion that BD is arrogant, and it didn't help when a lot of BD alums and fans reacted as they did last year. I will concede that a lot of that was knee-jerk reaction. I truly believe they were taken by surprise. It also served to motivate them for the current season. They don't want any more surprises. But calling someone a "hater" because they are critical of their performance doesn't ease that image.

Another image that seems to follow BD is the "winning is everything" attitude. I've never heard a corps member or staffer say that, but they sure seem to impress a lot of people that way. Yelling "13!" probably doesn't help. My lovely bride even had a BD member on a flight to his camp tell her the name of their show - 1930 - was picked because, if you add the numbers, 1+9+3+0 = 13.

I'm not a BD homer. I'm also not a hater. I've been entertained and impressed by a lot of their shows. There are also those shows that did nothing for me, no matter how well they were performed. But I have had the same feelings about other corps' shows, including some of the corps I would consider my favorites.

So, BD fans, take the vinegar along with the sugar. Some will like your show, some won't. Some will like your show this year, but not next.

It is what it is.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Okay,

in the Chat room last night I really went off on BD, Which i shouldn't of.

I Give BD Props, for how much precision they do their show,and how well they move and sound together. BD has an amazing group of kids and staff, and every year they turn out better and better show's.

I may not like their drill, and I may not like how much the contras don't move (Which I know in reality they move more than I give them credit for), and I may not like there show for this year. I do like the fact that they have a good enough system that every year, There going for a Championship.

(edited for stupid Spelling mistakes)

Edited by ohwiseone

Thank you for this topic. I think most BD fans (including myself) really appreciate it especially since BD's fan base is clearly the least represented on this site. Like I read in another topic, I think it is true that many BD fans here tend to shy away from defending them.

I think part of that may be the fact that the Blue Devils have a very active forum community of their own. Seems like even the BD fans who post on here spend much of their time one the Devils' own message boards.

Actually BD's forum community isn't too active (compared to DCP, or the Blue Stars').

Many BD fans probably shy away from defending them because the criticism is natural. When your favorite corps is getting beaten, hostility seems pretty inevitable.

It does make me wonder though....if "1930" was consistently placing out of the top 3, would the argument that they sit and march easy drill be replaced with the argument that their show is inventive, innovative, and brilliant?