Where is the strangest stadium

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part of any track show is proceeding through your company front toward a large fence with reinforced steel cabling. Probably the closet thing a corps can come to the chicken wire at Bob's Country Bunker.

That jogged an old memory.... One of the RCA gigs (York, PA?) 1976(?) had part of a snow fence right off the middle of the back sideline. Bad enough except that was during the era that corps started their show.... well right off the back side line. Fence couldn't removed so to compensate M&M wasn't judged the first 45 seconds of the show. Really helped the corps with a lot of movement in the show but didn't help corps that stood still at the beginning.

"Strangest Stadium":

Actually several:

In PA it was the venue for the "State Fair" drum corps show. The middle of a cow pasture with a crowd that was more interested in "Bovine" than Blessed Sacrament. They always had a GREAT lineup of corps, (Madison, Muchachos, Skokie Vanguard, St Raphaels, etc) but NOBODY ever watched them. In 1962 it was rained out and such great as St Catherine's, Blessed Sacrament Garfield Cadets and Vasella Musketeers did concerts to NO AUDIENCE. :blink:

Then there is the "Racetrack" (Andy Lisko: Help me out on this one) venue in MA where the old Northeast Circuit (And a few others) held their Championships. Quite possibly THE WORST venue in New England. :huh:

Finally the old Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey cCty, famous for hosting most of the old "Preview" Dream contests (And parking nightmares) :tongue: as well as VFW and World Open Finals and the old Hinchcliffe Stadium in Patterson NJ. Both fell into disrepair, and were finally bulldozed back into developemnts.

Sad to see so much history just pass into memory.... :tongue:

Elphaba

"Strangest Stadium":

<snip>

Finally the old Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey cCty, famous for hosting most of the old "Preview" Dream contests (And parking nightmares) :blink: as well as VFW and World Open Finals and the old Hinchcliffe Stadium in Patterson NJ. Both fell into disrepair, and were finally bulldozed back into developemnts.

Sad to see so much history just pass into memory.... :huh:

Elphaba

As a Patersonian, I must make three corrections:

1 There is only one "T" in Paterson

2 There is only one "C" in Hinchliffe (everyone.....even in Patttterson....pronounces it as if there was a second "C."

3 Although in disrepair, the stadium still stands, overlooking the Great Falls nearby.

Joe in Pattttttterson

As a Patersonian, I must make three corrections:

1 There is only one "T" in Paterson

2 There is only one "C" in Hinchliffe (everyone.....even in Patttterson....pronounces it as if there was a second "C."

3 Although in disrepair, the stadium still stands, overlooking the Great Falls nearby.

Joe in Pattttttterson

"Hinchliffe Stadium":

I stand corrected!!! Glad that the olde "Legend", scene of so many junior and senior drum corps shows throughout the 1950's and 60's is still standing!!! :blink:

Thanks for the update.

Elphaba

Elphaba

That would have been Riverside Amusement Park in Agawam Mass.. They held the NorthEast Circuit Championships, over the Labor Day weekend, down in the center area of the race track . One year I believe after prelims, they had a demolition car derby that night.. lol

I can also remember during my old fife and drum days when the Mass Fifers and Drummers State convention was there. You marched a parade thru the park to the track , then performed your standstills. I&E used to be in the back of the track area, on the other side of a wood wall....

Edited by hurcwave

"Hinchliffe Stadium":

I stand corrected!!! Glad that the olde "Legend", scene of so many junior and senior drum corps shows throughout the 1950's and 60's is still standing!!! :blink:

Thanks for the update.

Elphaba

Here's one for you..... In 1966 I sponsored a junior contest (Brass by Night) at Hinchliffe along with three other college frat brothers. I did the drum corps stuff....they were to sell ads. Few ads sold, so we lost our investment.

In the last week before the show, the contest coordinator called me and told me that Blue Rock wasn't going to attend. He got St. Lucy's (the contest winners) as replacements, but we were not able to benefit from any publicity in those days.

Hinchliffe is also where I first saw Tom Peashy's newly-merged Rochester Grey Knight Crusaders in one of the Cabs first Grand Prix contests. I never heard of them before that day, but WOW! It seemed like their OTL took 20 minutes to get them to the 50 and their exit took another 15 minutes. Hmmmm. that accounts for 35 minutes of an eleven minute show!

Since you also mentioned the "Dream," the Crusaders also figured prominently in a top-5 moment in my drum corps life. The famous storm during the exit. I still have the Fleetwood disc of that contest. I've never seen or heard a crowd react as enthusiasically as they did that afternoon.

Regards,

Joe

I have to agree with Jeff regarding Waterbury. Do not do a horn pop to the box because the box was not on the 50 yard line.

Edited by cabsbari79

Took a ride by the old "Hinchliffe Stadium". We should state it is barely standing. If only they took care of it and created some parking it would still be a a decent stadium.

Edited by cabsbari79