Show concepts

I am at the DCI show in Atlanta on Saturday and I was bored out of my mind. I've marched for years in corps from the 60's up to 2002 plus I attended music college.

To me these corps want to run faster than ever on the field , with no power, since corps back in the day with 30 horns were louder than 70 person lines today.

The music to me seems like a bunch of guys wanting to get their masters in composition. They take a melody and mix it up and twist it so that it hardly if ever resembles what they say it is suppose to be. If I want to hear west side story then play it... Next thing they will do porgy and bess, but make it a happy one, with country and symphonic overtures, with various key changes, Brilliant. Back when drum corp was in the business of entertaining (I know a bad thing) people came to shows to enjoy it and they did not have to be a middle, high or college marching student to understand it, they just came to be entertained. Most at the show were students, people who have marched or parents of kids in corps. People around me said this would be their last show, since they did not recognize one musical piece.

Bring back the entertainment of playing loud and having regular people get excited about watching drum corp.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You marched in corps from the 60's to 2002? 42 years of marching?? Seems you would have aged out at some point!! :huh:

Wow .. after reading all that .. maybe it is just you! :blink: (sorry I didn't understand all the rest! LOL)

I am at the DCI show in Atlanta on Saturday and I was bored out of my mind. I've marched for years in corps from the 60's up to 2002 plus I attended music college.

To me these corps want to run faster than ever on the field , with no power, since corps back in the day with 30 horns were louder than 70 person lines today.

The music to me seems like a bunch of guys wanting to get their masters in composition. They take a melody and mix it up and twist it so that it hardly if ever resembles what they say it is suppose to be. If I want to hear west side story then play it... Next thing they will do porgy and bess, but make it a happy one, with country and symphonic overtures, with various key changes, Brilliant. Back when drum corp was in the business of entertaining (I know a bad thing) people came to shows to enjoy it and they did not have to be a middle, high or college marching student to understand it, they just came to be entertained. Most at the show were students, people who have marched or parents of kids in corps. People around me said this would be their last show, since they did not recognize one musical piece.

Bring back the entertainment of playing loud and having regular people get excited about watching drum corp.

lol

I think Blue Stars and Phantom are the corps that stay truest to this philosophy this year. I normally like Crown because their melodies are so recognizable but they seem to have strayed from that a little to put some "sophistication" into their show for that last bit of music credibility for the judges. I do have to say I found Vanguard's show this year to be extremely engaging even though it has a high brow feel to it.

I buy souvies from corps I like to show my appreciation.

I think Blue Stars and Phantom are the corps that stay truest to this philosophy this year. I normally like Crown because their melodies are so recognizable but they seem to have strayed from that a little to put some "sophistication" into their show for that last bit of music credibility for the judges. I do have to say I found Vanguard's show this year to be extremely engaging even though it has a high brow feel to it.

I buy souvies from corps I like to show my appreciation.

I'm not sure if you have seen Phantom's show yet this year..... :blink:

If I want to hear west side story then play it...

But why not add twists to older pieces of music as to make them fresh again? Honestly, I thought there was A LOT of power in many of the corps that performed Saturday. Yes the show concepts have become more complex, but I know that I have enjoyed many of them. One show that stood out was Bluecoats this year. It wasn't my favorite show in Atl, but the concept was really quite clever and I appreciated how they presented it. It really was great. Honestly, I'm not really sure what you mean by "regular people." Because last time I checked, 99.95% of the people that attend shows are apart of music programs in some way, whether it is someone who performs or a parent that participated in their child's music programs.

While not DCI, the CorpsVets actually took some ideas for this years show from Porgy and Bess :-P

Here we go again.

Good thing there are still people out there who like what the corps are doing these days.

I can't say I understand your pain because I never heard of drum corps until 1995. But to me this sounds like the same old argument where the old school drum corps is better than new school drum corps. I think both "schools" deserve the same amount of respect because you guys gave us what we have today.

This is what happens when we evolve as a community.

I'm not sure if you have seen Phantom's show yet this year..... :thumbdown:

I have, and it's absurdly entertaining. Definition of underrated.