Show concepts

But guess what; the vast majority of America wasn't paying attention to drum corps 30 and 40 years ago either (and it was considered downright disreputable by most serious musicians).

So, nothing's changed.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hornlines today have no power? check

Shows today have no melody? check

Designers aren't interested in entertaining? check

You need to be a music student to get into this stuff? check

Corps don't play anything you recognize? check

Hmm, this is pretty close to being a prototypical rant. I can't give you box 5 in music performance, though, because you didn't mention how every corps sounds the same and there's no identity. Your visual scores really suffered, because you neglected to mention that side of the activity at all. Possible areas of achievement would be to note the prancing, effete color guard, the cheesy bando uniforms, or even the way that music is being sacrificed for the visual. I do give you high marks in GE for the run-on paragraph, as well as for the inconsistent capitalization.

Does it sound like I've got this ranting thing down pat? I should, by now, as I've heard it all before. Yet I keep going to shows year after year, and I keep buying the CDs and DVDs every year. There are tens of thousands of fans at every major show who I assume must still enjoy what they're seeing. I'm sorry that you no longer enjoy what drum corps today are doing, I truly am, but remember that just because you are not entertained doesn't prevent the possibility that the stranger sitting next to you may think this is the best year of drum corps ever.

:thumbdown:

I don't know anything about old time drum corp so I can't compare old to new. I've only been a fan this decade. I have LOVED the 2009 season of drum corp! I took newbies to Bristol and they were blown away by both Crown and HNC and that was before either of their shows had evolved into what they are now. My family has all been entertained by Boston's show too (and not for the sexy guard, lol). I loved seeing SCV and BD for the first time this year in San Antonio. Gorgeous. And I don't know how HNC could possibly BE any louder than they are now.

I can't wait until Indy when I'll get to camp out in the stadium and get a look at all corps in all classes! I'll be taking newbies to Crown's rehearsals during finals week and I know they will be impressed and entertained. Will they want to go to finals as a result? Highly unlikely.

Drum corp IS a niche event but so are all activites. I go to the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400 every year simply because I live nearby but I bet most Indy natives have never been to either event. I about took a nap in the middle when Montoya was running away with the race. (Hmmm...is there a parallel to drum corp there?) BTW, LOTS of empty seats at the Brickyard yesterday thanks to the economy and last year's tire debaucle. I bet there won't be many empty seats for World Class Finals August 8th.

I dont know about you, but lines such as Crown, BD, and Cadets (to name a few) are loud as CRAP. I can't imagine hearing a corps louder than them.

I think it a shame that you are unlikely to ever have that experience. It can only be understood by experiencing it.

In 2215, it will all be direct mind-interface VR experience.

Geek. :thumbdown:

And from what I have seen from the ticket pre-sales, there is going to be a huge number of people in Indy this year :thumbdown: .

If the accoustics are as bad as the BOA people say in Lucas Oil it could be a big dissapointment -- I know the shows are good, but I hate bad accoustics--like the old Hoosier Dome-- it was great in Bloomington last year, perfect stadium for drum corps.

it was great in Bloomington last year, perfect stadium for drum corps.

Yup, I remember that stadium well, and as soon as I heard that finals were being moved to Bloomington last year, I knew that would be one huge plus in favor of all the competing corps . . . and the audience!