Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Well that's a funny question. :worthy:

If they had the best show, and they performed it the best, they should absolutely win.

They don't have the best show, and they aren't performing their show as well as a handfull of other corps are performing their shows right now. I did really enjoy them at San Antonio though. I was glad they weren't as bad off as I was reading...

If Pioneer had the best show this year, would you be okay with them winning? ....same question, without the bias?

Maybe a better question would have been, if they had won in Atlanta with the performance they had, would you be OK with it?

I don't care how squeaky clean they perform it, this is a bad show that should be no where near Top 3.

Yeah, the part at the end of the opener where the mellos reprise the Paganini theme slowly and hold out the high A for a good five seconds before the rest of the corps comes back in to finish it off is SO BAD. So bad that I gave them a standing O for that. And that smooth as cream jazz in the second movement is SO BAD as well. :worthy:

Maybe a better question would have been, if they had won in Atlanta with the performance they had, would you be OK with it?

again. flat out. even performing that show perfectly, theres no way they should get higher than 6th. the top 5 just have a completely different level of design than what PR is putting out there this year.

Yeah, the part at the end of the opener where the mellos reprise the Paganini theme slowly and hold out the high A for a good five seconds before the rest of the corps comes back in to finish it off is SO BAD. So bad that I gave them a standing O for that. And that smooth as cream jazz in the second movement is SO BAD as well. :worthy:

youre just not getting it. and i typically love PR. But it is a bad show for them, design wise. Doesnt mean it doesnt have its moments.

I don't really get the question either.

It's not a championship show. It's not a matter of me being okay with it or not, because it's so far out of the realm of possibility. I think at this point, we should be asking "would you be okay if Phantom placed in the top 6?"

I voted no, simply because it just won't happen. It won't even be close.

I don't think this is a bad show at all. Sure, it's definitely no Spartacus, and it's not one of their best shows to come around in recent years, but I think musically they are fantastic. It is one of my most played shows on my ipod from this year. I'm no visual expert, so I really can't comment too much on that. I do think though this this is one of the best top 12 from top to bottom that I have personally seen in quite a while. There is not one show in the current top 12 that I don't really like. Regardless of where PR ends up finishing on finals night, this will be one of those shows that I enjoy listening to for many years to come.

I'm okay with the show that has the best overall package, both in what they're doing as well as how well they're doing it, winning. Every year. No exceptions.

Certainly there are corps that I root for to win more than others, Phantom being among them, but this year I don't believe their show, as currently constituted, is even in the top 5. It's not that I don't like it, am not impressed with it, or that I'm not rooting for them, but I guess I would have to say "no" because I don't believe their product is as good as Blue Devils, Cavies, Cadets, Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, or Boston. I find it more entertaining than a couple of those shows, sure, but not more necessarily deserving of a win.

That said, if they were to perform it with perfect execution and engaged the audience as well as could be expected, I would be more than okay seeing them leap-frog all but a few of those groups this year.