Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

Do you see a difference between "entertained me" and "top 3" in show design? Phantom is entertaining, and they have a sweet music book - no argument from me on those points. But in 2009 DCI, that gets you ... somewhere between 7th & 9th place.

Reward entertaining shows in placement -> more corps program entertaining shows -> more fans in the stands -> more money for DCI.

Everyone wins.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reward entertaining shows in placement -> more corps program entertaining shows -> more fans in the stands -> more money for DCI.

Everyone wins.

And we could invite some pop\rock artists out there with the corps instead and attract even more people, but it wouldnt be drum corps. drum corps is about having the whole package of music, visual, and execution thereof. Not just an 'entertaining show'

Everyone wins.

Everyone doesn't win though. Not everyone likes what you may like. A lot of people may enjoy Crown and Regiment the most. I enjoy SCV and Boston the most. And I'm sure there are many other opinions. And that's what it boils down to in this case. Opinions.

Everyone doesn't win though. Not everyone likes what you may like. A lot of people may enjoy Crown and Regiment the most. I enjoy SCV and Boston the most. And I'm sure there are many other opinions. And that's what it boils down to in this case. Opinions.

Thank you.

And we could invite some pop\rock artists out there with the corps instead and attract even more people, but it wouldnt be drum corps.

Nor entertaining. I mean entertaining to the drum crops crowd. People who come to a drum corps show to be entertained by the corps are generally entertained by the same things, for the most part. It's universal.

Everyone wins.

except not everyone finds this show entertaining

Nor entertaining. I mean entertaining to the drum crops crowd. People who come to a drum corps show to be entertained by the corps are generally entertained by the same things, for the most part. It's universal.

Couldnt disagree more. Everyone has a different opinion of what's entertaining. One guy is entertained by Cavaliers and another by Blue Knights. There is no easy reconciling of those two stances.

But even if every drum corps fan were "entertained" by the same thing, I also think that most drum corps fans can and do differentiate between being entertained and witnessing quality performance. This activity has always rewarded quality, difficult performance with placement and medals, and has always rewarded entertaining performances with standing ovations and throwing babies. Sometimes these two reward systems blend, sometimes they don't. But even when they do blend, I think most of the "drum corps crowd" (whatever that is) recognizes that they are two different things and both serve a purpose to the activity.

(edited because I committed one of my own grammatical pet peeves :worthy:)

Edited by Liam

Everyone wins.

Personally, I also find Troopers, Blue Knights, Boston, Bluecoats, SCV, Cadets & Crown to be pretty entertaining this year. And even if BD and Cavies aren't entirely to my liking, they are both pretty fun to watch too. So there doesn't seem to be much risk that entertaining shows won't be rewarded competitively in 2009.

I'm sure the winner will come down to the same things as every year - a show with the "complete package", demonstrating high levels of excellence in many captions. Phantom had that in 2008, whereas I hope you'd agree they are much more one-dimensional in 2009.