SCV Show

I thought the crowd was generally a very subdued crowd. So if the reaction to SCV didn't seem as extreme as one might expect, I think it was more of a function of the general crowd dynamic than anything. Having been there, I think the response to Vanguard was the only really big response of the night along with Crown. Phantom had a few moments, but on the whole, it was a dead crowd.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a different perspective. First, let me say that I am a Garfield '87 alumnus. When I first saw this SCV show live in Murfreesboro, it was the first show of the night that captivated people. Even the people who WOULD NOT SHUT UP all night were finally quiet. No, there are not lots of moments for screaming and yelling. Instead, it is sheer beauty from start to finish. And when that company front hits, it's the moment of the season. It is a beautiful show that will be a classic. or should I say.....already is a classic fom 22 years ago?

:shutup:

Anyway, after seeing it again in Atlanta and Columbus, I'm convinced that this a fantastic show performed by some amazing folks.

Now, I know the show calls for that and is VERY musical and intimate, but the question is would this show fall into "boring" if we didn't all know and love the music from years past?

Having marched SCV, I may not be 100% objetive. (Heck or even 50% objective, to be honest.)

But I think if Troopers or Boston Crusaders or Blue Knights (for example) did this show, I would still think it was mind bogglingly satifying and an absolute brilliantly designed and wonderfully executed show. And it would still be one of favorite shows of the last 10 years.

I'm tempted to say I'd appreciate it even more if some other corps had done it and was performing it to the same level. Because for SCV to do it is not near as much of a risk. (...from a crowd acceptance standpoint. Maybe from a pleasing the guys in the green shirt standpoint.) SCV seems to be slipping comfortably into this material and owning it.

Being there, I'd have to say that everyone loved SCV. It was just that the crowd felt it was more appropriate to take in the show, and cheer at the company front rather then stick out in random moments. The tension was nuts, and that's kind of something you can't feel on an internet video...

I EMPHATICALLY agree. The show was amazing.

By now, we are all endeared with SCV's production Ballet for Martha. I just watched the Allentown FN video and was astounded as to how silent the audience was. I think it might also be worthwhile to say that even during sections that it seemed okay to applaud, no one really was. It's not a reaction grabbing show.

Now, I know the show calls for that and is VERY musical and intimate, but the question is would this show fall into "boring" if we didn't all know and love the music from years past?

It is the artistry and performance that has gotten the members this far. Was it just the FN video that made the audience seem disconnected? Crown's show sure seemed exciting to the crowd.

Maybe it was all the show changes and possible watering down that made the show seem like it had awkward transitions and silent spots tonight (where applause would usually go?).

Just an observation. Everyone should know that I love to love SCV.

That's the way Allentown always was when I went there. Very little but polite applause for anybody but The Cadets.

But, I do think SCV's show would be kind of boring for anybody who doesn't know a little about App Spring.

It is a beautiful show that will be a classic. or should I say.....already is a classic fom 22 years ago?

Or maybe a classic from 33 years ago (when SCV performed it the first time, in 1976)?

I do agree that it's a great show (76, 77, 82,83,87, 09)

COPLAND

Spell it with me... C-O-P-L-A-N-D...

This has been a public service announcement by SCVSopAaron... You're welcome.

It's a ballet show, what do you want? Have you ever been to a ballet where fans are extremely cheery? I haven't, instead they take it in and enjoy it. And applause at the end. Just how it should be for their type of show. IMO. And I love their music, my hs marching band did all the same musical selections <333. But, SCV did it much much much better. Really loved the show.

COPLAND

Spell it with me... C-O-P-L-A-N-D...

This has been a public service announcement by SCVSopAaron... You're welcome.

Although, COPELAND, is a realy cool rock band.

You know, not to cause controversy, but I was sitting 9 rows up on the 50, and I gotta say, the crowd was far better than what the VOD sounds like. There is decent applause when needed, and when the huge impact of Simple Gifts happened, the place was on their feet cheering, which yeah, doesn't happen as often as it probably should, but hey, it did, and it was awesome.