Crown always going to be crowd favorite

Forever is a long time.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audience-friendly is always part of Crown's design equation.

Minus 06

I am a huge fan of Crown as you can see. I have heard people saying that Crown is the crowd favorite. I was wondering if you think they will always be a crowd favorite or will they be taken seriously as a top 5 corps. I think that this year Crown is finally getting the respect they deserve and that the corps finally relize they have a chance to win everytime they go out. I think they have been underrated for years as just a crowd favorite.

Because their name is "The Blue Devils"...

that being said CC has had very entertaining shows performed at a high level for several years now - the appreciation is well deserved.

Point of fact - I was there. And we can disagree as to what the expectations were. I know what I, and everyone around me, thought was going to happen: another BD victory.

If you had said SCV, it would have made sense, but I cant help but think the people around you were a little confused. Yes, I realize it was a year before I was born, but you honestly thought that BD, a corps who was tied for second (and only on par with garfield for the first time at that), was going to win over santa clara, who had won prelims, and garfield who was more or less undefeated? Seems to me that the wests hopes should have been with scv, considering they won the show the night before.

I am a huge fan of Crown as you can see. I have heard people saying that Crown is the crowd favorite. I was wondering if you think they will always be a crowd favorite or will they be taken seriously as a top 5 corps. I think that this year Crown is finally getting the respect they deserve and that the corps finally relize they have a chance to win everytime they go out. I think they have been underrated for years as just a crowd favorite.

They have developed a huge fan following all across the country after "Triple Crown" from the 2007 season. I was with easily 200 people last night night at Giants Stadium that were all Big Crown Fans. This was at an event where the crowd was 75% Cadets fans. The response they got when introduced was really good and raised a few octaves when they finished the show. The Cadets were the crowd favorite last night but the Crown were not too far behind. This from a corps from South Carolina, not exactly around the corner from New Jersey.

Crown performed magnificently last night At Giants Stadium. The was a Cadets hosted show so they had a ton of people there rooting them on. They also had a great show. The only thing that stunk was the Public Address announcer. He was awful. Asking Drum Majors whether their Corps was ready when they had already started their program and some other miscues. He was always behind what what going on in the field. Other then that the show was awesome!!

If you had said SCV, it would have made sense, but I cant help but think the people around you were a little confused. Yes, I realize it was a year before I was born, but you honestly thought that BD, a corps who was tied for second (and only on par with garfield for the first time at that), was going to win over santa clara, who had won prelims, and garfield who was more or less undefeated? Seems to me that the wests hopes should have been with scv, considering they won the show the night before.

I honestly remember entering the standium, convinced that BD was going to win. BD had come closer to Cadets at Whitewater that year, and at that time, Whitewater was considered the best indicator as to who would win Finals.

BD was surging, and we felt they would blow past everyone for their 6th title that night. But if SCV had won, it would have been all the same, for those of us from the East. Again, to us, a BD or SCV victory would have been just another year of disappointment. It was like Coke Vs. Pepsi - take your pick.

At the time, it was considered impossible for an Eastern Corps to win finals. In the physical universe we lived, it was simply impossible. BD and SCV were simply too deep, too strong, and too experienced. Maybe it was possible in some alternate-reality, Bizarro universe - but not ours. To people in 1983, it seemed like some ludicrous proposition - like travelling faster than the speed of light. If an Eastern corps had challenged them, surely they would find some reason to choke, collapse, or fold.

And here's the key thing about BD and SCV: they had gotten into the psyches of all of the Eastern Corps. There was a real intimidation factor at work, at the time. When they entered the parking lot, everyone looked at them - even their closest competition. They had gotten into the skulls of their opposition - and that was perhaps their biggest asset.

I don't know what Hopkins did, to get past the intimidation factor, and all the weight of expectations that were pushing against him and his corps. But it must have worked, because that night, Garfield proved all of us wrong - even those of us who wanted them to do so. Because on August 20th, Garfield changed the balance of power in DBC forever.

So what lesson can CC get from the 1983 Garfield Cadets? (Again, getting back to the topic at hand):

1) Do not give in to intimidation. If anything, CC faces an even more daunting challenge than Garfield did. They will need to overcome 4 established corps - BD, SCV, Cavies and Cadets. They can't be intimidated by any of them.

2) Every single caption must be clean. This includes individual visual, where they are sadly lacking right now. They can't give the judges a single excuse, to deny them a title.

3) If they do win, then comport yourself with class and dignity. That is another rememberance that I have about Cadets from 8/20/1983: they reacted to the victory with pure professionalism. Hopefully, CC will do the same.

Edited by oldschooldbc