SCV style

This year, SCV gave us a very artistic, musical, understated and true-to-original show. Appalachian Spring has been done a million times by a lot of different people, but not in such a way that really honored the original vision of the piece. What other pieces of classical music do you think would be good if they were done in this manner? My vote goes for The Firebird. Not just the cliche Infernal Dance and Disappearance and Rejoicing, but more of the gorgeous, abstract, impressionistic stuff that actually makes up the majority of the original ballet score.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I'm over John Adams. I've been to a lot of BOA shows over the past decade and I've pretty much had my fill.

Than again, Stephen F. Austin H.S. did "Ballet For Martha" in 2004, and I have no problem with SCV's offering this year.

I just don't know!

Gandalf by De Meij. Or the whole Lord of the Rings by De Meij.

Wagner's Ring.

I've wanted Regiment to do this for ions, but they don't seem interested. Would have been a HELLACIOUS follow-up to Spartacus. But since they don't seem interested, maybe SCV would give it a shot. The structure of the piece CRIES out for a straight-ahead reading (by and large) in drum corps, and provides ample material for a theatrical presentation. And it's Russian ... plenty of SCV heritage to draw on for that.

Of what piece do I speak?

Prokofiev A L E X A N D E R N E V S K Y

Edited by hughesmr

crown did some of nevsky their 2nd year - i would love for crown to revisit that piece...the whole thing is great

I've wanted Regiment to do this for ions, but they don't seem interested. Would have been a HELLACIOUS follow-up to Spartacus. But since they don't seem interested, maybe SCV would give it a shot. The structure of the piece CRIES out for a straight-ahead reading (by and large) in drum corps, and provides ample material for a theatrical presentation. And it's Russian ... plenty of SCV heritage to draw on for that.

Of what piece do I speak?

Prokofiev A L E X A N D E R N E V S K Y