Severe Storms Hit Indiana

A corps is in trouble here. Please tell me that this, of all threads, will not devolve into a flame war. '

Please stop going down that avenue.

Does anybody have any news on how repairs are going or any type of update at all?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you see this as "HS", but I see it as symptomatic of a larger problem.

Earlier in the year, a drum corps had their trailer & equipment stolen ... They had no insurance.

Now, a corps that is on the road with, probably, six figures worth of equipment and over a hundred kids, sends out an SOS because they are out $3k worth of props.

If the corps is THAT severely under capitalized, they have no business being on the road ... I don't care if it's finals week before finals or the middle of January.

It's a completely fair question to ask, especially since they are looking to the general community for support.

Dear Mr. Has Been;

As someone quite familiar with things around Blue Stars land, I can tell you that things are not as dire as you state. The Blue Stars did NOT go to the general public pleading for aid. They posted on their own forum for the assistance of their volunteers and alumni as they always do. Someone else simply linked their post to this forum. As one who has helped out the corps from time to time, I can tell you that there is a very intense, supportive group that keeps things running very smoothly for the Blue Stars. Instead of going out and spending tons of money for outside assistance on things like their food truck refurbishment or the props, they have always relied on this group of volunteers and alumni, because they know how deep these people love their Stars and that they will always be there to help. As for the money aspect, I have been around the drum corps activity for 45 seasons now and have never seen a corps more responsible with their money and better managed than the Blue Stars. So, do not worry about their future. They are in excellent hands, from top to bottom. If they were not, I would not allow my son to march there.

Dear Mr. Has Been;

As someone quite familiar with things around Blue Stars land, I can tell you that things are not as dire as you state. The Blue Stars did NOT go to the general public pleading for aid. They posted on their own forum for the assistance of their volunteers and alumni as they always do. Someone else simply linked their post to this forum. As one who has helped out the corps from time to time, I can tell you that there is a very intense, supportive group that keeps things running very smoothly for the Blue Stars. Instead of going out and spending tons of money for outside assistance on things like their food truck refurbishment or the props, they have always relied on this group of volunteers and alumni, because they know how deep these people love their Stars and that they will always be there to help. As for the money aspect, I have been around the drum corps activity for 45 seasons now and have never seen a corps more responsible with their money and better managed than the Blue Stars. So, do not worry about their future. They are in excellent hands, from top to bottom. If they were not, I would not allow my son to march there.

As they say in the U.S. Army Rangers...."Hooah!" :rolleyes::devil::devil:

A corps is in trouble here. Please tell me that this, of all threads, will not devolve into a flame war. '

Does anybody have any news on how repairs are going or any type of update at all?

Here's the thread:

http://www.bluestars.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8775

Dear Mr. Has Been;

That's good to know. From the tone of the original request, it made it sound quite differently.

(This is probably also the first relevant reply to my original question, so thank you!)

C'mon, this is DCP we're talking about. We make Howard Stern look like high Elizabethan Drama in comparison.

Thanks, Lance. It looks as if the thread in the OP is being used to keep the supporters updated on the situation. Apparently this afternoon will be used primarily for damage assessment. Some reconstitution is undoubtedly getting started right away but things will probably really get in gear tomorrow as volunteers start filtering in from around the country.

From a phonecon with my daughter about an hour ago, the school was still without power, making the new generator on the refurbished cook truck that Dave mentioned above very appreciated indeed!

Speaking only for myself as a member of the Blue Stars family, the gestures of support posted on DCP are extremely gratifying and heartwarming. Thanks for caring, everyone! :rolleyes:

Edited by sdstar

They posted on their own forum for the assistance of their volunteers and alumni as they always do. Someone else simply linked their post to this forum.

yeah. thatd be me. And while i questioned whether to copy it over here, for fear of it (like half the threads on DCP) turning into a flame-war, i felt that it was relevant news, as a lot of corps are going to have similar weather experiences today. (I saw a photo on facebook from another corps of a van completely underwater, for instance) Also, getting it out here gets the word out to supporters who may not read the blue stars forum, and I have to say it has been nice to see members of the drum corps community at large, many having no direct connection to the Blue Stars step up and give what help they can to another corps.

yeah. thatd be me. And while i questioned whether to copy it over here, for fear of it (like half the threads on DCP) turning into a flame-war, i felt that it was relevant news, as a lot of corps are going to have similar weather experiences today. (I saw a photo on facebook from another corps of a van completely underwater, for instance) Also, getting it out here gets the word out to supporters who may not read the blue stars forum, and I have to say it has been nice to see members of the drum corps community at large, many having no direct connection to the Blue Stars step up and give what help they can to another corps.

I'm glad you did. It was the right thing!

geez.....

Looks like dci has been went and crawled back under the rock he came from ...

that is NOT what this activity is about !

when something like this happens, this activity needs, and usually comes thru,

on getting the affected corps back to its feet.

now if this activity was filled with the likes of this old has been... then there would

no longer be an activity to talk about !

FCO, and peace everyone !