5 championship quality shows

I am going to play the unpopular :blink: devil's :devil: advocate.... I think realistically there are 3 shows, maybe 4 that have a true shot come finals night to win... Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets and an outside sleeper in the Cavaliers.... To me I feel that SCV while amazing musically does not have nearly the same championship caliber Visual Package that the other four groups have.... Even the Cavaliers who have a #### fine show may not be in contention as well come finals night... To me this is a three dawg race between the Green Grass Crown Clan, the Old Age Devils, and the Gangbuster Cadets.... I feel like the top 5 in quality and heck the top 12, even the top 17 are stronger than they have been in a long time, but me thinks the title belongs to one of those three corps this year.... My pick "The Green and Cream Clan from Fort Mills Land!!!

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I would agree with that, and I'd also say that there are 5 corps in a fight for Top 3. As much as I love SCV, I think the judges will reward difficulty over effect/marriage of music w/visual book and intent. SCV would have to be executing ridiculously close to perfection to be considered Championship level this year, i think.

But I think 3rd place, while an outside possibility, is still possible for SCV. Again, they would have to be stupid clean, and have the right judge panel, but I think it's possible: definitely more possible than SCV winning, IMO.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to go by "multiple standing O's throughout the show," then you might as well say that VK was always producing Championship Quality shows :devil:

92 :devil::blink::blush:

No WAY was Bluecoats 95 show 'Championship Quality.' MAYBE Top 6 quality, but when they do a show design similar to Cadets (a Champion quality show), there's no way they get compared favorably (at least not back then). That was a fun show, and until recently one of the best editions in Bluecoats history. But no where close to Championship Quality (didn't have a Championship brass book, drum book, visual book, let alone performance quality).

If you want to go by "multiple standing O's throughout the show," then you might as well say that VK was always producing Championship Quality shows :blink:

I have to agree with you there. There was a definate design quality drop off from SCV to Bluecoats that year. bluecoats had the best show of the bottom half of finals but were far from even being competitive with the top 6.

This year I don't see it as 5 championship quality shows . . .but I do think that several of the shows mentioned: SCV, Crown, Cavaliers and HNC could win some other years.

2009 BD is clean almost to the point of being boring now, IMO.

However, I suppose it's within the realm of reason for HNC to pop out a amazing performance Finals night and possibly catch BD, but it'd have to be firing on all cylinders for sure.

I think this is the best year since 2000. That year I thought there were 4 corps with championship level shows, in Cavaliers,

Cadets, Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard. I would say that so far that was my favorite season ever. The entire top 21 were great that year.

This year I think while BD is leading the pack, Crown and Cadets also have championship quality shows. I also think with last week cleanings, Cavaliers and SCV also may have championship level shows. I know alot of people have written off Vanguard as they have been in 5th the last few weeks, but they have one of the best hornlines they have ever had, and I would honestly put them leading the pack in music GE.

I think BD will probably win another one, but I think the next 4 down are definitely championship level shows, and would not be disappointed in any of the 5 corps winning. I think it is probably the best top 5 that I can remember.

This is definitely a step above last year, when I felt there 2 championship level shows in BD and Cavaliers.

I also agree with the posters who have mentioned the years there have been the highest scores in history recorded, those were years where there was only 1 corps with a championship level show for the year.

I can't wait to see quarters tomorrow night.

No. Every year we talk about "is this top 4-5-6 the BEST EVER!?"

And every year it feels like there is more competition. As a whole the corps performances have improved over the last decade, but only when the season ends do more complaints come out. They weren't clean enough, their show pacing wasn't good enough to win, etc.

I guess BD has a championship quality show since they are still undefeated. Cadets are very very good, but is it something you will remember years from now as a show that SHOULD have won a championship?

Crown has had a great year but I'm not sure the visual is enough at this point. And the Cavies are doing well but does it blow your mind like 06 or 02???

Some GREAT performances, but I think of a year like 2000 when there really were two shows that had long lasting value. And you know both totally deserved it.

The last week has a habit of changing perceptions :blink:

Edited by jetman1287

I generally think there are 2-3 championship quality shows every year...

Examples:

2008: Phantom, Blue Devils, Cavaliers

2007: Blue Devils, Cadets

2006: Cavaliers, Phantom

2005: Cadets (might be the only one this year?)

so... my first question is: Do you agree that there are 2-3 championship level shows every year?

and the followup: Are there 5 shows at this level this year? Crown/Cadets/BD/Cavies/SCV, or do you think that after finals, it will be clear that all of them were not championship level?

Yes, I usually think there are 2 or maybe three shows that are worthy. This year I think there are four.

1. Carolina Crown

2. Blue Devils

3. SCV

4. Holy Name Cadets

I have seen the Cavaliers twice live and several times on VOD and I just can't place it with those other four. It kind of reminds me of 2008 where it was entertaining but somewhat forgettable. Cleanly executed, but stamped out of the same old mold from the last several years.

I certainly agree that there are more championship level shows this year than in recent years past. I would have to say top 4 for sure, with SCV being a stretch. This, too, is my fav. year top to bottom since 2000.

I disagree that last year, and def. not 07, had 4-5 champ. level shows. PR, BD and Cavies were it. Sorry, plain and simple.

I think the Blue Devils will remain undefeated this year, but I think the Cavies are the sleeper corps. I think people have counted them out, but I wouldn't just yet.

No WAY was Bluecoats 95 show 'Championship Quality.' MAYBE Top 6 quality, but when they do a show design similar to Cadets (a Champion quality show), there's no way they get compared favorably (at least not back then).

I wouldn't say Bluecoats 95 was championship quality, but I would say that it was a defintely a top 6 design (top 4 in my opinion). They just didn't have the talent/instructional-staff to put them that high. I don't agree that Cadet's design was championship quality or even a better design than Bluecoats', but they had the potential talent to put it on top despite the level of design. (That's not to say that Cadet's design was bad - not by a long shot - just not championship quality).

Maybe it's my personal bias kicking in. I dunno - it's all subjective anyway.

edit: BTW - how do you know it was Bluecoats doing a show similar to Cadets? Maybe it was Cadets doing a similar show to Bluecoats. :blink:

(If I recall, I think Bluecoats announced their show concept before Cadets that year - but I could be wrong).

Edited by bartyount

edit: BTW - how do you know it was Bluecoats doing a show similar to Cadets? Maybe it was Cadets doing a similar show to Bluecoats. :blink:

(If I recall, I think Bluecoats announced their show concept before Cadets that year - but I could be wrong).

Ha; true enough