5 championship quality shows

Good list. I'd add Cadets to 2003 & 2001, and take Blue Devils away from 2002. You could probably add Blue Devils to 2001, but I'm not 100% on it.

Definitely, gotta put Cadets '01 on there.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that BD and the Cavaliers have championship quality shows every year, or at least in this decade. Statistically, they both average above everyone else in placement and score and do so fairly consistently. The only reason either of them do not win is because another corps simply executed better towards the end. I should point out though, that in terms of "caliber" BD and Cavaliers are always up there with the front-runner and have probably beaten the winner at some point in the season. I have provided statistics to aid my case.

BD Placement/Score:

2008 - 2 - 98.1

2007 - 1 - 98

2006 - 3 - 96.55

2005 - 4 - 95.25

2004 - 2 - 98.525

2003 - 1 - 98.8

2002 - 2 - 97.3

2001 - 2 - 97.6

2000 - 3 - 96.9

Average Place = 2.22

Average Score = 97.45

Cavies Placement/Score:

2008 - 3 - 97.325

2007 - 3 - 96.350

2006 - 1 - 97.200

2005 - 2 - 97.625

2004 - 1 - 98.700

2003 - 2 - 97.250

2002 - 1 - 99.150

2001 - 1 - 98.350

2000 - 1 - 97.650

Average Place: 1.66

Average Score: 97.73

as for most corps in the hunt going into championships week I would have to say 1990 is the year.

from what I recall the top 6 that year had beaten each other all season and going into finals all legitemately had a shot at the title, although some had a better shot than others.

Those six were

Cadets

Cavaliers

Star

Phantom

BD

SCV

Another way to look and ask is what shows were championship quality in design/music but the corps didn't have the execution to make it happen, a good example would be 1995 Bluecoats, show was there, multiple standing O's throughout the show but just couldn't clean the performance.....There's been others 1992 Crossmen etc

Notice that in years like 2002 and 2005 the winning corps really stood alone at the top, and because of this they had high scores. In an activity where corps are measured as much on how much better or worse they are than the corps that performed before them, scores will be lower for the champion when the captions are split between several deserving corps. If BD doesn't run away with it this year, I think the final winning score will be low 98's, possibly mid-high 97's. When a corps like Cavaliers or Cadets dominates many captions, they start running up the score ala the 99.15 in their championship years.

Much as I love all 5 shows (and I do love the Top 5 this year), when I watched the Allentown videos, I saw two possible champions and three other very good shows. I think it's BD (very likely) or Crown (unlikely). I could imagine Cadets changing my mind at Quarters, and I admire the difficulty of what they're doing this year, but I didn't see the kind of clarity of design and effect that I think is most likely to be rewarded.

I am going to play the unpopular :blink: devil's :devil: advocate.... I think realistically there are 3 shows, maybe 4 that have a true shot come finals night to win... Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets and an outside sleeper in the Cavaliers.... To me I feel that SCV while amazing musically does not have nearly the same championship caliber Visual Package that the other four groups have.... Even the Cavaliers who have a #### fine show may not be in contention as well come finals night... To me this is a three dawg race between the Green Grass Crown Clan, the Old Age Devils, and the Gangbuster Cadets.... I feel like the top 5 in quality and heck the top 12, even the top 17 are stronger than they have been in a long time, but me thinks the title belongs to one of those three corps this year.... My pick "The Green and Cream Clan from Fort Mills Land!!!

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I am going to play the unpopular :blink: devil's :devil: advocate.... I think realistically there are 3 shows, maybe 4 that have a true shot come finals night to win... Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets and an outside sleeper in the Cavaliers.... To me I feel that SCV while amazing musically does not have nearly the same championship caliber Visual Package that the other four groups have.... Even the Cavaliers who have a #### fine show may not be in contention as well come finals night... To me this is a three dawg race between the Green Grass Crown Clan, the Old Age Devils, and the Gangbuster Cadets.... I feel like the top 5 in quality and heck the top 12, even the top 17 are stronger than they have been in a long time, but me thinks the title belongs to one of those three corps this year.... My pick "The Green and Cream Clan from Fort Mills Land!!!

Wes P

BK '97 '98

it might be unpopular, but id completely agree.

and in first place a 5 way tie

Another way to look and ask is what shows were championship quality in design/music but the corps didn't have the execution to make it happen, a good example would be 1995 Bluecoats, show was there, multiple standing O's throughout the show but just couldn't clean the performance.....There's been others 1992 Crossmen etc

No WAY was Bluecoats 95 show 'Championship Quality.' MAYBE Top 6 quality, but when they do a show design similar to Cadets (a Champion quality show), there's no way they get compared favorably (at least not back then). That was a fun show, and until recently one of the best editions in Bluecoats history. But no where close to Championship Quality (didn't have a Championship brass book, drum book, visual book, let alone performance quality).

If you want to go by "multiple standing O's throughout the show," then you might as well say that VK was always producing Championship Quality shows :blink: