Terrible Sound in Lucas

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my God, the APDs are CYMBAL-TASTIC!

This is a serious, serious problem. I can't believe it.

I'm kinda glad I'm at work right now and can't listen to 'em; I think it would only just #### me off more.

Man, I haven't heard anything positive about Lucas Oil at all, either on here or firsthand from folks who I've talked to that were at Quarters last night.

I'm kinda glad I'm at work right now and can't listen to 'em; I think it would only just #### me off more.

Man, I haven't heard anything positive about Lucas Oil at all, either on here or firsthand from folks who I've talked to that were at Quarters last night.

Ok, checked on a pair of 500 quid headphones. Sounds a little indistinct and muddy overall. Trumpet sound comes out clear. There's basically a huge rumble on bass sound that's basically continuous. Cymbals in the pit are obscenely loud - dominating loud moments in the horn line - front line is too loud overall by about 15-20%. Overall it just makes the hornlines eq weird, as if the mic was slightly to the side on a voice interview. Maybe EQ will help.......

Sound is better in quieter moments, or straightahead loud sections (this will benefit Devils and kick Cadets ###, I'm afraid).

The effect is weird, Crown's show has it's opening ruined, it sounds vague, cymbals dominate the Promise Of Living hit, v/o is ridiculously loud, yet Puck's loud section is ok. Maybe it's the ride cymbal that makes it worse.

I don't know folks, it's a bit disappointing.

I wonder if it's possible to have a contract with both Bloomington and Indianapolis. Depending on the weather report a week/few days prior, they make a decision to go to to Indy if they need to.

I know...waaaay out in left field, but it's better than being stuck inside all the time.

I'm not sure opening the roof would make it better, but I think we should reserve judgment until we hear that.

That's just impractical. Aside from housing issues, does anyone remember the p*ssing and moaning last year when Championships were moved a few months in advance? Could you imagine if notice were given on, say, the Sunday before?

I appreciate the theatre folks sharing the comments. But was it my imagination or did DCI tell us that the roof would be open or closed based on the weather conditions. I'm all for closing the roof, sound notwithstanding, if the alternative is a rainout or delay. But otherwise, I guess many people thought we'd have the roof open. I understand that would screw with the curtain; so be it. It looked cool but I'll trade that off.

I was in sec 240...smack on the 50...I was straddling the yardline. :bluedevil: And it sounded just like San Antonio. It was awful for a bit than as another poster said, I must have gotten used to it. Dear god I hope that we dont have to "deal with it" for 10 years.

This makes sense. They held back on volume and it payed off in the brass scores. This could be the end of loud in drum corps, as it transitions to BOA with Lucas field pushing them over the edge.

I either want your seats next time, or whatever yer drinkin'...Maybe it's better on the 50, but on the 35 it's crap...flat out crap...and for 55 bucks at quarters...crap doesn't exactly build fond memories...

The pattern I'm seeing is that people mid-to-high (myself included) hated the sound but it was good/tolerable for people way low. So 100 level seats would be the best soundwise. So much for those forms :bluedevil:

Not sure if there are acoustical reasons for that but it's ironic that the FDCI "blackout" does NOT include that level.

Edited by Phillygwm

Ok, checked on a pair of 500 quid headphones. Sounds a little indistinct and muddy overall. Trumpet sound comes out clear. There's basically a huge rumble on bass sound that's basically continuous. Cymbals in the pit are obscenely loud - dominating loud moments in the horn line - front line is too loud overall by about 15-20%. Overall it just makes the hornlines eq weird, as if the mic was slightly to the side on a voice interview. Maybe EQ will help.......

Sound is better in quieter moments, or straightahead loud sections (this will benefit Devils and kick Cadets ###, I'm afraid).

The effect is weird, Crown's show has it's opening ruined, it sounds vague, cymbals dominate the Promise Of Living hit, v/o is ridiculously loud, yet Puck's loud section is ok. Maybe it's the ride cymbal that makes it worse.

I don't know folks, it's a bit disappointing.

High voices definitely fared better than low, and staging had a big impact. Crown's Puck hit is right on the sideline, as is the SCV company front, and both of those sounded pretty good. It's when the corps is doing drill with more field coverage that the sound really starts to suffer.

At the risk of being the only one to disagree...We were at the top section near the 50, and we all thought the sound was fine, and that Lucas Oil was a fine facility for this event.

At the risk of being the only one to disagree...We were at the top section near the 50, and we all thought the sound was fine, and that Lucas Oil was a fine facility for this event.

I watched a couple of corps from that spot. Not one bit of drum clarity. Echo city. No big brass sound. Honestly, it really reminded me of my first indoor show at the Pontiac Silverdom in '76 at which time I stated "This ain't drum corps."

I hope to dump my 640 tickets and get some 100 tickets for tonight and Saturday.