Terrible Seats in Lucas

To clarify,

Based on the information (and inducements) DCI had to consider, I firmly believe DCI made a good decision in choosing Indy. First of all, without ever having held its main event in this dome, DCI couldn't possibly be certain of the sound/viewing conditions.

What DCI DID do, is select a "somewhat" central location, a brand new, state of the art facility, a facility that ensures their event can never be rained out. An air-conditioned, comfortable enviornment. DCI also selcted a host city that is regarded as the amateur athletics capital of the world, has more than enough hotel rooms, a clean and compact downtown, and experience hosting the largest spectator event (the 500) in the world. Finally, a city that has plenty of other amusements to keep fans satisfied over multiple visits.

For those who complain about the Indy airport, ask the 350,000 fans (from all over the world) who go to the 500 how they manage.

I'm saying the sound issue you describe ('m not there) could NOT have been fully anticipated at the time the Indy-hosting agreement was signed. Same for the glass panels. The "Ticketmonster" thing is a requirement outside DCI's control, as are concession prices.

As for the roof being closed, I'm thinking DCI and the stadium management thought the large backfield curtain was a key new ingredient. Unfortunately, the curtain can't be used with the roof open.

I predict, next year DCI will go without the curtain, with the roof open (weather permitting), and hope for a better in-stadium experience.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the information (and inducements) DCI had to consider, I firmly believe DCI made a good decision in choosing Indy. First of all, without ever having held its main event in this dome, DCI couldn't possibly be certain of the sound/viewing conditions.

Would you marry a girl you'd never met?

I'm saying the sound issue you describe ('m not there) could NOT have been fully anticipated at the time the Indy-hosting agreement was signed. Same for the glass panels.

Why not? We all know what drum corps sounds like in a dome. There's a reason I don't go to the San Antonio show anymore.

To clarify,

What DCI DID do, is select a "somewhat" central location, a brand new, state of the art facility, a facility that ensures their event can never be rained out. An air-conditioned, comfortable enviornment. DCI also selcted a host city that is regarded as the amateur athletics capital of the world, has more than enough hotel rooms, a clean and compact downtown, and experience hosting the largest spectator event (the 500) in the world. Finally, a city that has plenty of other amusements to keep fans satisfied over multiple visits.

For those who complain about the Indy airport, ask the 350,000 fans (from all over the world) who go to the 500 how they manage.

I'm saying the sound issue you describe ('m not there) could NOT have been fully anticipated at the time the Indy-hosting agreement was signed. Same for the glass panels. The "Ticketmonster" thing is a requirement outside DCI's control, as are concession prices.

As for the roof being closed, I'm thinking DCI and the stadium management thought the large backfield curtain was a key new ingredient. Unfortunately, the curtain can't be used with the roof open.

I predict, next year DCI will go without the curtain, with the roof open (weather permitting), and hope for a better in-stadium experience.

The Ticketmaster thing with the glass panel is absolutely in DCI's control. Don't go back. Look... DCI was either going to be a hero or some level of schmuk with this decision. They rolled the dice. I don't blame them so much for that. I COULD argue that they should have looked over plans and renderings better before committing to this, but they probably did see the plans at a pretty detailed level. They rolled the dice and crapped out at some level. To some extent, I can work with that. Bold leadership is a good thing. HOWEVER, we now know that this is not working at the same level that Bloomington, Denver, Madison, KC and many many other sites did. Not even close.

So now they MUST fix it. It is not acceptable to continue with this venue the way it is even one more year. DCI leadership acted boldly in getting into this deal. Now it's time for them to act boldly and get us out of it or find some way to mitigate the majority of the issues that are now glaring them and us all in our faces.

Edited by NDNation

The Ticketmaster thing with the glass panel is absolutely in DCI's control. Don't go back.

Where would you have DCI move to?

Ticketmaster has a virtual monopoly on all major venues in the US. Ticketmaster has the stadiums sign exclusivity deals so that all events in that stadium must use Ticketmaster.

For example: Camp Randall Stadium in Madison uses a company named Paciolan to sell tickets to all events. Paciolan was bought out by Ticketmaster.

To clarify,

so DCI, like DCA got burned in 96 with Frontier Field, ####ed up.

This is not going to be a pretty thread, tomorrow and Monday, I'm guessing. I bet there's a bunch of people who went to finals who didn't look carefully enough at the seating chart before ordering and realize that those midlevel Super Premium seats could be in the end zone.