Terrible Seats in Lucas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About the glass panels...that sucks and seems to be just bad luck in getting those couple of rows that would be affected by them...make a note of which rows are affected so you don't get them next year. But I wouldn't blame DCI or the venue for them...

No offense, but you're not understanding the magnitude of the problem. Section 240 is a good example. This should be a primo section. Right between the 45's. There are 220 seats. (Yes, I counted and mapped this and five other sections for reference for next year). 72 of the 220 seats have a view at least partially obstructed by a panel...some worse than others. That's almost a full 1/3 of what I would call one of the best sections.

Every section is like this...but not in exactly the same pattern. 340 has 64 seats. 38 of them are at least partially obstructed by a glass panel.

There are about 8 seats in 240, 340 and 440 (again, these are the best sections in that they run from the 45 to the 45) where you are actually looking through two glass panels to see the field. And it's not two glass panels running the same way. It's a three sided box. So in 8 seats, you're looking through one panel that is coming right at you and ending a foot from your nose and then another one that runs parallell to the field about four feet away. And there is no way Ticketmaster is going to be able to tell you that's where you're tickets are. I talked to one of the people sitting in a seat behind a double glass panel, and he said he paid the full Super Premium price.

Just really awful design for a drum corps show...

Was anyone else up in the top level with me - the 6xx sections? I was in section 643.

Sound was really strange!

Any corp that used their own speakers for parts of their program (like BStars), the sound was either garbled or you couldnt hear it at all.

Most of the corp pit mics seemed to not exist......

The larger corps with the huge horn and drum sound was great.....but any amplified sound was BAD!

Tonight I am in the 4xx level.

cant wait to see no hear, if the sound is the same.

.....I guess I need to join Friends of DCI to get a decent seat next year?????

I was in the 600's.The horns seemed to be pointing at the mid 500's and you are right about the amps and speakers..the only thing that carried was the SNARE sound..especially on the rims.

The venue was comfortable...during the hottest part of the day and the visual presentations were more effective without the elements factoring in..............But good sound was the major sacrifice...and it was a huge negative.

Is this a case of EVERYONE expecting to sit on the 50 yard line, to have no worries?

:tongue:

Its a case of everyone getting scalped for their pennies and then not being able to hear the show. When you drop 75$ for a seat then can't hear-- nothing but bitter enmity and spite shall be my eternal lot!

I shamelessly moved to the best seats I could find after my initial seating offered no auditory stimulation besides air conditioners running and ceiling feedback. Guess where I ended up-- section 141-- down on the field. I sampled all over the stadium during quarter finals-- the best seats are right down front-- too low for most fans, but any higher and you are behind plexi glass. The Box seating is the worst--just no quantity of sound can sneak through the slats of cement and glass. The next best seats are the low rows of the upper level-- the ceiling feedback is annoying.

who cares if the city is great but the venue sucks Fred. you shoudn't have to pay $300 for 3 days worth of seats if your view is obstructed.

Amen! -- the city is 1/2 hour from Bloomington-- an Ideal setting for drum corps "memorial stadium"-- no one has complaints about last year. Geez--I can deal w/ tight seating and bandos running around and talking through shows-- I can't deal w/ not being able to hear the show.

Seems to me a lot of people have. From some of the stands shots there seemed to be a pretty small crowd with several complete sections empty.

So, how's the city ? Worth taking vacation to for 10 years ? :tongue:

This town sucks Indy has some really ULTRA EXPENSIVE restaurants downtown and just as

many panhandlers . Everywhere that you go someone is hitting you up for money or trying to sell something I don't think we'll be back , and I haven't even been to the stadium yet . We are sitting in sec / 539 row 5w / seats 7&8 I can only hope that there good seats ? :cool:

Now I'm depressed. I was considering making plans to come to finals this year after enjoying the top 5 this year. So now, I'm reading it may not be worth it, with the terrible seats and sound. Some of us did try to say how this wouldn't work. But what do us peon alumni/fans know? :tongue:

I wouldn't have believed anyone either positively or negatively until DCI actually got there. It could have been great, but it isn't from a majority of viewpoints now that people have actually been there for an actual DCI show.

For those who want to see what we're all talking about....http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/Tickets/View_From_Seats/

6XX Level seats....http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/Tickets/View_From_Seats/600_level/644_mid.jpg

No offense, but you're not understanding the magnitude of the problem. Section 240 is a good example. This should be a primo section. Right between the 45's. There are 220 seats. (Yes, I counted and mapped this and five other sections for reference for next year). 72 of the 220 seats have a view at least partially obstructed by a panel...some worse than others. That's almost a full 1/3 of what I would call one of the best sections.

Every section is like this...but not in exactly the same pattern. 340 has 64 seats. 38 of them are at least partially obstructed by a glass panel.

There are about 8 seats in 240, 340 and 440 (again, these are the best sections in that they run from the 45 to the 45) where you are actually looking through two glass panels to see the field. And it's not two glass panels running the same way. It's a three sided box. So in 8 seats, you're looking through one panel that is coming right at you and ending a foot from your nose and then another one that runs parallell to the field about four feet away. And there is no way Ticketmaster is going to be able to tell you that's where you're tickets are. I talked to one of the people sitting in a seat behind a double glass panel, and he said he paid the full Super Premium price.

Just really awful design for a drum corps show...

I suggest that anyone who has obstructed views go find one of the DCI Management (Acheson is usually walking around, and easy to spot) and complain.

If the seats weren't advertised as obstructed, or partially obstructed, you have every right to demand your money back, especially if you paid for premium seating.

If DCI won't do anything to remedy the situation, get together with the other folks who are in the same situation, and make your voices, and displeasure, known to DCI COLLECTIVELY.

... and please don't join Friends of DCI or pre-order seats for next year. That's just throwing good money after bad.

I would like an update on the attendance so far. From what I could tell, attendance seems to be lacking. I hate missing the DCI Championships, but won't go to Indianapolis after what I have read. I liked the food in Bloomington.

What about going back to Denver? I like it when DCI was in Boulder in the 80s even though the Bridgmen had some trouble.