From 1st to 8th?

A past Regiment drill designer said it best "it's all about the emotion." Pull at the crowds heart strings and they'll be eating out of your hands!

Regiment has accomplished more with emotion than any top three regular has with innovation and/or complexity (by no means am I remotely saying that Regiment isn't an innovator or doesn't use complex tactics either). They are notorious for resetting the tone of a competition within the first few chords / moves. Their ability to take "familiar and expectations" to a next level are second to none. I just didn't get that feeling this year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this will probably upset a few people, but I personally don't consider this the biggest drop in history. Last year, with all due respect, Phantom should have been 3rd. Blue Devils and Cavaliers both had better performances on finals night.

While I disagree with this idea, I have a LOT better feeling about PR in 9th this year than I had when PR was 8th in 1998. This just has the feel of an aberration, whereas I really worried for PR's future in 1998.

I wonder if Jamey Thompson can be lured back...

Two words...New World. The show they should have done this year.

Yeah, I think that would have been to obvious.

I would however love to see PR tackle the music from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. There's plenty of dark driving pieces and enough ballad worthy melodies that would make for a truly special show. They could even break it up over 2 or 3 years since there is so much material there.

Of course music isn't PR's problem these days, as has been well chronicled in this and other threads. They've got to get a solid visual/guard design team in place or they could have music handed down to them from The Almighty and still not place higher than 7th because of the visual problems.

you know this isn't the largest drop in DCI history, in 1973 the 27th Lancers finished in 7th place, but in 1974 they finished in 20th place. that would be a 13 place drop. Much bigger than the PR slip from 1st to 9th.

I know this will probably upset a few people, but I personally don't consider this the biggest drop in history. Last year, with all due respect, Phantom should have been 3rd. Blue Devils and Cavaliers both had better performances on finals night.

I know the crowd wanted Phantom to win. Even I wanted Phantom to win, but after seeing the shows, I knew that BD was the winner last year. And knowing how the judges sheets are set up, that Cavies were in 2nd.

I am starting to see a trend in judging the last 2 years. DCI is treating judging as a financial decision, and no longer looking at the actual product on the field. Troopers this year were proof once again of that. Last year the 3rd place corps finished first,and this year, due to a building storyline, the 15th place corps reaches finals in 12th spot.

Musically Phantom had a very good show this year. The closer was absolutely amazing. One of my favorite musical moments of the year, but visually this show was a wreck. The kids performed well with what they were given, but the design was extremely weak. But when you look at the visual design last year that was subpar compared to the other top 6, and they managed to win with it, what do you expect?

It doesn't upset me...it just makes me think your opinion is wrong and mine is right. :rock:

I'm a Cavaliers fan, but I felt midway through last season that PR should have been beating them. When I saw them early, though, that was not the case. Cavaliers were definitely ahead by a nice margin...it was until PR started cleaning up that they became a better program, I thought.

As for BD...maybe it's because I am a Cavaliers fan, but they do nothing for me. They did nothing for me last year...I thought they should have been 3rd.

It doesn't upset me...it just makes me think your opinion is wrong and mine is right. :rock:

I'm a Cavaliers fan, but I felt midway through last season that PR should have been beating them. When I saw them early, though, that was not the case. Cavaliers were definitely ahead by a nice margin...it was until PR started cleaning up that they became a better program, I thought.

As for BD...maybe it's because I am a Cavaliers fan, but they do nothing for me. They did nothing for me last year...I thought they should have been 3rd.

Agreed! I don't get BD winning either. Cadets or Crown should have won based on drill difficulty alone...Cadets with the edge IMO. Cavies were cool as well...just a bit more dirty than usual.

Agreed! I don't get BD winning either. Cadets or Crown should have won based on drill difficulty alone...Cadets with the edge IMO. Cavies were cool as well...just a bit more dirty than usual.

Difficulty has never won chanpionships. Cleanliness is next to Godliness in DCI. Apparently they use a weird dictionary where the letter next to C is G.

And I realize the final score is somehat arbitrary, but PR not breaking 90 dumbfounds me a bit...

yeah... worst score since 1986.

yeah... worst score since 1986.

also their worst placement since 1986. Interesting that conversely it was the troopers best placement since 1986 and probably their best score since then as well.