Carolina Crown's Missed Opportunity to Win the Championship.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I am having flashbacks to 1989. Having a strong #2 corps is not the end of the world. I can only imagine this very same discussion if the internet would have been around back then to dissolve the staff for Phantom after reaching a record high score in SECOND place only to be out done by one corps who was just a bit better according to a group of green shirt judges that night. Being in 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of. Yes we always want to be above everyone else but at the rate that corps are scoring the last few years.. being 10ths of a point away from what is considered a perfect score (is there really one out there?) just take it and be happy with the end result. For many years after tonight people will still be analyzing and over analyzing corps performances and trying to justify their reason for why they were scored as such. Many of us will never agree on one corps approach to marching/playing/drumming/spinning yet we will all think our opinion is the right one and the only one that counts. That is where diversity comes in.

Phantoms drum staff should have been fired after 89

My parents agree that the marching is terrible (for a 2nd-place finish).

I blame the over-usage of body movement. For a marching activity, Crown doesn't do a lot of it this year compared to '07 or '08. But they are doing more than BD.

Just hope for the best tonight! Good luck to all corps!

I disagree. When Crown's hornline does body movement, they are tops. That hornline "moves" very well. Well designed and very well trained. And I'm pretty sure they are getting credit for that vocabulary and execution in the visual captions. And they are doing plenty of marching.

((( i have not read the entire thread )))

I disagree with the OP. I think that CC's visual design has done nothing but improve from year to year. Remember when Crown was getting ripped on constantly for having the easiest show on the field? I do, and it was not very long ago. In fact I think crown is one of the few corps whos drill stuck with the same idea for more then... 2 sets... this I like very much. Perhaps the designer needs to take direction changes into account with his drill, cause this can effect how difficult it is for the marcher to nail a dot. Or perhaps he is doing too much with different groups coming together. I have not watched CC many times this year, so I can not give a full opinion.

But to say that the drill is flat out bad and is holding them back is wrong.

On top of that, did you see the crazy body movement that the hornline did this year?!?!?!? Most of it was extremely challenging, innovative, best of all, clean as %#$& !

Further, the mellophone section where they have a feature combined with VERY extensive dancing, WOW! thats honestly my favorite part of the show.

Further, during lots of this movement, they are PLAYING!

Just because you do not like it does not mean it is bad.

Edited by shaners

It is amazing how people complain for just the sake of complaining. I thought Crown had the most talented corps they have ever had. My only point is that the judges did not like the design of the show. The members did the best they could to execute what was a poor design. I didn't say I didn't like the visual program, but the judges didn't like it all season, and the final scores demonstrate the point. The only thing I didn't like about the visual performance was the members needing to "lean" in order to get from set to set. The "lean" technique, which has Star of Indiana all over it, looks sloppy. It's not the members' fault, but it is a design flaw. This is, therefore, why I believe the visual designer is to blame for Crown's struggling Visual GE and Overall Visual Performance scoring problems this year.

Edited by Corbin

It is amazing how people complain for just the sake of complaining. I thought Crown had the most talented corps they have ever had. My only point is that the judges did not like the design of the show. The members did the best they could to execute what was a poor design. I didn't say I didn't like the visual program, but the judges didn't like it all season, and the final scores demonstrate the point. The only thing I didn't like about the visual performance was the members needing to "lean" in order to get from set to set. The "lean" technique, which has Star of Indiana all over it, looks sloppy. It's not the members' fault, but it is a design flaw. This is, therefore, why I believe the visual designer is to blame for Crown's struggling Visual GE and Overall Visual Performance scoring problems this year.

I'm having trouble understanding your visual design flaw theory. It's not a poor design. I don't think getting 3rd in visual GE is struggling. I believe they improved to third in visual performance yesterday. I loved the visual design and it came across from the field pretty well.

Congrats Crown on an amazing year. I couldn't be prouder as an alumni and I look forward to another amazing year in 2010. Go Crown!

Although they did finish 2ns overall.

the chance to over take BD was not going to happen .

I was very surprised they finished ahead of Cadets. If not for CADETS 7th place in percussion ( 3rd in semi's ) it would have not been close.

great brass line though.

LL

It is just very hard to beat Blue Devils at their own game...which is the BEST DARN FEET IN THE PLANET...typically....year in and year out. But...have faith..look how long BD's technical staff and design team have been together and then read the names on the design team. I mean, when they put a package together and its clicking, it is just really hard to top.

Crown fans, members and staff should not feel like they missed an opportunity...i mean HECK...they FINISHED 2ND...which not so long ago was "no man's land" for any corps other than SCV, BD, Cadets or Cavies (or even PHantom). So they are in rarified air and i'm sure that will just make them hungrier.

So i totally disagree with the OP...Crown won a Brass Title and beat Devs in Music....pretty darn impressive.

CONGRATS CROWN!

I feel obliged to mention this to the OP:

If you are on, or have any influence over the Crown BOD, and you do in fact let Leon May go, please please PLEASE give him a severence package that includes a plane ticket to Rockford, Illinois.

Thank you.