DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ Pipitone is always a judge that you can count on to be fair and consistent, and has the respect of his colleagues and the drum corps community alike. Something had to happen on that field tonight that would cause him to score as he did. In addition, percussion has been the weakest part of their corps the entire season.

You are discrediting both corps for what they achieved this season. You should just shut up.

In the past 15-20 years it has become less common for a corps to have a "terrible" night in one subcaption or another. It seems that more often than not the corps tend to be slotted by semifinals and there is relatively little movement in the placings at finals. In the '70s and early '80s, there were many cases where a corps was not only might have been great at bugling, drumming, and GE, but also perhaps be saddled with a simplistic technical visual package or poor/sloppy marching technique. Or perhaps one corps would be excellent in one area (e.g. the drum lines of the 1977 Freelancers, 1979 North Star, and the ultimate case, 1977 Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders (first in drumming at prelims but 13th place overall) but not so hot in the other disciplines. In addition, performance, rather than design, seemed to count more in the early years of DCI, especially when you had two drumming execution judges and one percussion analysis judge on the field. When musical performance counted more than visual design and GE, it seemed that more contests were up for grabs, compared to the modern era of drum corps (at least until this year).

Perhas Cadets (I still refer to them as "Garfield") just had a percussion performance problem on the field tonight. I have no idea since I wasn't there next to the judge to hear what he heard. However, if they were dirty, then I'm glad the judge didn't just give them a pass.

Synths need to be gone. When they are used to fill a weakness in the horn line just makes me angry. If they can play it, then play it. Mr. Royer is rolling in his grave over this crap.

Hear, hear! It's bad enough that we've lost G bugles and are stuck with relatively weaker sounding horns, but the synths are simply foul! Drum and Phony Corps!

Thank God pipe bands still play pipes and drums!

my only complaint on the scores is that they are too high, if dci was next weekent would we have 6 corps over 95, somewhere along the line it seems that the winning corps has to have a 97-99 to win but in short seasons it stands to reason that a corps might only be at a 90-92 level to win.... I think the scores being so high today somewhat tarnishes the great shows that won DCI with only high 80's to low 90's as being "Bottom 6 corps) today

Agree that the scores are too high, but let's be honest: absolute scoring died along with the tick system. Ever since then it's been a relative scoring game. Too bad, in my opinion. Movement is great, but it too often detracts from the music.

Great year. Having half a dozen shows that are fun to listen to in the coming years is nice.

Congrats all, expecially to BD and Crown. Those shows will be sweet on the CDs (as long as the recordings are of decent quality) :doh:

Agree, 6 decently musical shows is pretty good for this decade. Used to be in the '70s/'80s that 9 or 10 of the top 12 were very listenable with only 2-3 clunker shows. Maybe the crazy copyright rules enforcement (leading to corps having to compose and use "original" music) is a big part of that. For example, too bad that John Williams has been such a stingy jerk regarding allowing his compositions to be performed by drum corps the past 15 years or so.

Wow I lost DCP right around scores time .. thank god for Twitter!!

CONGRATS BLUE DEVILS! ... I LOVE YOU MATT V.C. (yep, that's my son!!)

:doh: :doh: :doh:

I went over to the Blue Stars forum for the score announcements

Here's just a few thoughts from myself about this season (if anyone cares)

-Congrats to the Blue Devils. While I disagree with that score and some of the captions you guy's won tonight, I still want to say congrats on finishing first.

-Crown: Way to Go! I was pulling for you guy's all season and I while really wanted you guys to take BD tonight second is still awesome. Next Year! I think you guy's will be champs VERY soon

-SCV: Wow; just wow. You guy's stole every single audience's heart at every show this year and imho had the best show on the field this season. Thank You for putting such an incredible show on the field and not playing some of the "same ol' same ol' stuff" that a lot of corps put on the field this year

-Troopers: Way to go on making finals! How cool is that? Hope this is a trend that will stay!!!

-Cadets: I'm sorry your drums scored so low tonight. I'm obviously not qualified to judge whether this was a good call or not but I'm sorry it happened and I hope the members can look past this unfortunate situation. Also, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for putting such a "refreshing" show on the field this year compared to your past few years! How cool! I hope it stays this way.

-Phantom: I liked ALMOST all of your show this year but I wasn't a huge fan of the jazz :( I'm bummed you guys finished so low especially after last year. I hope you guy's can win another title soon and I'll always be cheering.

-2009 Season: Unfortunately, there were some cool shows this year but if I were to be realistic, I must say that 2009 was my least favorite year of the decade. I hate to bring up such a tired and over-discussed topic but IMHO the addition of electronics definitely detracted from the overall effect of drum corps this year. I just heard too many horn/mallet/percussion parts being replaced by a person holding 3 notes on a synthesizer this season. There have been some big changes in the history of dci but imho, this was the biggest so far. I'm not sold on the theory "this is just dci evolving". I think it is too big of a change for it to "just be that". Just my opinion though; I'm not liking where electronics seem to be taking dci :doh:

-Final thought; For me, what i will remember most from this season is crown's second place finish, scv's show, cadet's return to cool shows!, phantom's unfortunate placing, and troop making finals. What I probably won't remember is that Bd won, got a very high score and had both of it's corps win titles, cadets drums scored low on finals night, and any other drama that has been on this board! In the end I could care less about numbers because as we see again and again, they can be sooooooo subjective.

-Final request

If you aren't a bd fan: Please be cool towards bd and Bd's fans. They won fair and square; unfortunately it's not how all of us wanted it to be but they still did it.

If you are a Bd fan: Please be cool to those who aren't the biggest fans and don't be obnocious about the fact that they won tonight. Be good sports just like any of us would be if our corps took gold tonight. I'm sure the Bd organization would rather you guy's be polite winners rather than just big, loud fans going crazy and rubbing it in people's faces, especially on an online forum... :doh:

Up Next, dci 2010

Edited For a Few Spelling Errors and to add clarity to a couple of sentences that made no sense (it was late) :D

Edited by 08ThunderBass5