DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

In the past 15-20 years it has become less common for a corps to have a "terrible" night in one subcaption or another. It seems that more often than not the corps tend to be slotted by semifinals and there is relatively little movement in the placings at finals. In the '70s and early '80s, there were many cases where a corps was not only might have been great at bugling, drumming, and GE, but also perhaps be saddled with a simplistic technical visual package or poor/sloppy marching technique. Or perhaps one corps would be excellent in one area (e.g. the drum lines of the 1977 Freelancers, 1979 North Star, and the ultimate case, 1977 Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders (first in drumming at prelims but 13th place overall) but not so hot in the other disciplines. In addition, performance, rather than design, seemed to count more in the early years of DCI, especially when you had two drumming execution judges and one percussion analysis judge on the field. When musical performance counted more than visual design and GE, it seemed that more contests were up for grabs, compared to the modern era of drum corps (at least until this year).

Perhas Cadets (I still refer to them as "Garfield") just had a percussion performance problem on the field tonight. I have no idea since I wasn't there next to the judge to hear what he heard. However, if they were dirty, then I'm glad the judge didn't just give them a pass.

they did have a percussion problem. they had a snare drummer fall down and it took him to about the end of the set to get back in line. after that it threw the whole line out of sync. their spacing was off and a couple kids missed step offs. very unfortunate for them. they were having an amazing run up to that point.

congrats to both crown and bd as well. but after seein crown and hnc back to back bd's drill and visual design just seemed flat compared to the previous two. they def deserved their championship but not a perfect score in visual by any means. felt they should have been in the 98.6 range.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they did have a percussion problem. they had a snare drummer fall down and it took him to about the end of the set to get back in line. after that it threw the whole line out of sync. their spacing was off and a couple kids missed step offs. very unfortunate for them. they were having an amazing run up to that point.

congrats to both crown and bd as well. but after seein crown and hnc back to back bd's drill and visual design just seemed flat compared to the previous two. they def deserved their championship but not a perfect score in visual by any means. felt they should have been in the 98.6 range.

That really sucks for the snare drummer to have fallen down. That would definitely mess up the entire snare show. Too bad for that drummer; I hope he is ok! Maybe the drills have just made the drumming subservient and it's time for music to reclaim its importance over the crazy marching drums corps have to perform these days.

That really sucks for the snare drummer to have fallen down. That would definitely mess up the entire snare show. Too bad for that drummer; I hope he is ok! Maybe the drills have just made the drumming subservient and it's time for music to reclaim its importance over the crazy marching drums corps have to perform these days.

bd kinda proved thaat with their show. less crazy drill more music. but yea that poor kids gonna remember that forever. it wasn't even a crazy hard move. just misstepped goin from one side of the field to the other along the back hashes.

The post above this one is seriously one of the funniest things I've ever read on DCP for many reasons. A great way to end the night.

heh..sorry? just tryin to offer some thoughts?? :worthy::doh::plain::sad::doh::tongue::huh2::doh: :doh: :notify::eh::blush::turn::huh::ohmy::omg::hmmm::cry:

From the DCI website:

"Since the Percussion score is one that is divided in half before being added to the final score, this caption was responsible for 0.55 of the difference between the two corps. Considering that Cadets finished 0.30 under Crown, the fall in Percussion was the difference between 2nd and 3rd place."

Makes you wonder, would the drum score have been enough to bridge the deficit?

From the DCI website:

"Since the Percussion score is one that is divided in half before being added to the final score, this caption was responsible for 0.55 of the difference between the two corps. Considering that Cadets finished 0.30 under Crown, the fall in Percussion was the difference between 2nd and 3rd place."

Makes you wonder, would the drum score have been enough to bridge the deficit?

DCI actually said that outright?

The "fall in percussion".... ridiculous! The tick system is over with. There isn't supposed to be penalties for falls and one-time errors. Thats the whole point.

DCI actually said that outright?

The "fall in percussion".... ridiculous! The tick system is over with. There isn't supposed to be penalties for falls and one-time errors. Thats the whole point.

I'm sure they meant fall in score, not performer!

Invoking the name of she who shall not be named is hardly cleansing. You're d#mned for all time ($1 to ALW).

don't make me crash the other website we frequent

J.J. Pipitone deserves to be fired. He should never judge again under any circumstances. To take a corps that was in the top 3 in percussion and then change the entire placement single handed is an outrage. These judges and DCI need to know that the fans don't appreciate such dishonestly!!!!

Congradulations to the BD and CC for a great season. The Cadets were outstanding tonight and one judged denied them of 2nd place! Shame on DCI for allowing this to happen!

J.J. deserves to be congratulated for giving someone a score they deserved and not a score because of name irrelevant to performance

I dunno... can a drummer drop a stick, have it picked up and handed to him by a judge, and the drumline receive a perfect score?

It's subjective, folks. The scores have zilch to do with any literal, relative relationship to perfect execution.

Can't figure out why anyone (and this ain't pointed at you, iSop) would try to rationalize a complaint re: scores being "too high" or "too low." They're subjective... relative from corps to corps, only... SUBJECTIVE!

no but they can have ensemble issues and get a 20 ( 1987)