Indianapolis, Vol. 1

Now that some who actually attended Finals in person are waking up, can we get a few comments on this years TOTAL championship experience?

For example, did the sound improve with more fans in the stands?

Did you feel you paid way to much for your seat location?

Did you like the back curtain?

Was the temperature inside comfortable, seats wide enough, etc.

Did you have enough post-show opportunities to unwind, like adult beverages and food within walking distance?

Your overall impression of the Indy downtown, vs. spending your time on a college campus?

Most importantly, are you anxious to return next year?

Thanks!

I went to finals only and wasn't surprised with the sound having been in Domes before. I totally appreciate all the corps and how they have to deal with changes going from domes to outside and back and forth. I wish the roof was opened and I guess its a cost factor for the venue to do this. I was on the 300 level. When playing back field, the sound on many occasions was lost but when they played to the crowd, the sound was great. Comfortable seats and cup holder for each.

The fact that this was finals, I found the cost to be inline with what it probably should be and the seat location warranted it. Could see all the drill formations perfectly and still see expressions on faces etc.

I liked the curtain on the back as it gave a clean look to the event and created more of a stage look. I feel the curtain probably didn't help with the back field playing though.

I found the temperature just a bit too cool. I didn't have a jacket so I went a bought a $4.00 hot chocolate and it seemed to help. Concession prices were way out of hand.

I have never been to Indy. Found the downtown to be very clean and lots to do. Many fine restaurants in all price ranges and the most I waited for a table 30 minutes. The people where very friendly and helpful. Everthing was a 10-15 minute walk for me to the stadium!

I spent Saturday morning walking around downtown and was completely impressed with the the old architecture. I guess where the RCA Stadium use to be is where all the construction near the Oil Can is happening. I am sure in a year or two that area around the there will be incredible. There are where all the corps were after the show was very roomy and full of parents picking up there members. Nice area and all very new and overall set up well.

Again my only complaint was the acoustics in the Oil Can. Please open it up especially when the weather like this year was great.

Edited by Canuck DCGroupie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that some who actually attended Finals in person are waking up, can we get a few comments on this years TOTAL championship experience?

For example, did the sound improve with more fans in the stands?

Did you feel you paid way to much for your seat location?

Did you like the back curtain?

Was the temperature inside comfortable, seats wide enough, etc.

Did you have enough post-show opportunities to unwind, like adult beverages and food within walking distance?

Your overall impression of the Indy downtown, vs. spending your time on a college campus?

Most importantly, are you anxious to return next year?

Thanks!

I didn't see quarters or semis, so i can't say that sound improved. Overall, I thought it was "ok", but there were some definite nuances that were lost. I had seen most of the corps prior to finals, so had some expectations that weren't exactly met. I was telling my friends who I brought all about the Puck section in Crown's show and barely heard the upper register soli at the end of it. That stunk...but that's about it.

I was pretty happy with it overall. While I wasn't happy with some of the lost sound, it was way more comfortable than being in the plus 90 degree heat that day.

The back curtain didn't bother me at all. Actually I think it lead to better focus of the shows.

Price is relative. I always think I pay too much at Finals, but that's what the prices are.

I like having the finals show at a stadium in a downtown setting like Indy. There were ample places to eat, walk around, and it was a nice surprise to see corps' warming up at the park (Blue Devils B and Revo).

And yes, I am anxious to return!!!

Yea and that show in particular placed 5th also. If Lucas Oil sounds anything like the Georgia dome, I wouldn't sound too happy either. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is always great at the southeastern championships but dome acoustics flat-out suck. :rock:

SCV placed 2nd in Brass in Quarterfinals and 3rd in Brass in Finals. So I believe the design of the music program was a resounding success. (The execution was, of course, a factor as well.)

(snip)

It was hotter than a monkey's scrotum outside

:rock:

I was not happy with the acoustics at all.

For the open class finals, I sat right on the 50 about 20 rows back, and I thought the sound was great. My tickets saturday night were on the 15 yard line. When all sections were playing at max volume it just sounded like soup. It almost got to the point where I couldn't recognize music. The echo was very bad as well.

I'm a firm believer it's about where you sit. Front and center, good sound. Crappy seats, mush.

FYI... the bottle caps were kept by the stadium employees to help pay for one of the employees kids to receive cancer chemotherapy treatments. I asked to keep mine (to mix in some Crystal Light mix) and they had no problem with that.

On another note, I am amazed that that is even anyone's major complaint with so many more important ones floating around...

My take - nice city, nice people, great drumcorps!!

Good to be home, but already missing the corps...

Until next year... :rock:

This happens every year (I may have started the thread after Bloomington).

There was a family with an infant a few rows in front of me. To their credit, whenever the baby started acting up, someone took him/her out of the area. That was the responsible way to handle it, but not everyone in attendance is responsible and it could have just as easily gone the other way.

The way to resolve this is fairly simple: require ALL attendees to have a ticket. Right now, kids under 3 are free if seated on an adult's lap.

I took my 12 month old daughter to Indy this year.... I also brought along my sister all the way from NC so she could stay at the hotel and watch her while we were at the show. I saw an infant at the show, and looked at my wife and shook my head. Not at a DCI show. Not with some of those fans.

I took my 12 month old daughter to Indy this year.... I also brought along my sister all the way from NC so she could stay at the hotel and watch her while we were at the show. I saw an infant at the show, and looked at my wife and shook my head. Not at a DCI show. Not with some of those fans.

odd. i was at drum corps shows within a month of birth, and never misbehaved or ruined the moment for others