DCI finals review

I find it “interesting” that ANYONE can post on here about “Oh this show is easy” .. “they don’t march enough” .. Seriously, unless you’ve tied up your shoes, picked up a rifle or a tuba and walked a step of any of these shows, NOBODY has the knowledge to say anything about any show. I certainly know I can’t, I couldn’t’ do any of that if you paid me! Sure have your opinion, talk about how you like this show because of this, or didn’t like another show for whatever reason. I can tell you, my son just spent the last 3 months IN one of those shows. I never once heard “wow we don’t hardly move at all” or “man the band sure sits in those chairs and plays a lot” .. He’s been home going on a week and I’ve heard NOTHING negative about ANY corps from him. I think it really does plain SUCK that folks can come on here and talked down about a show, or belittle a corps. To read how someone on hear was one of those IDIOTS that booed on finals night, sir (and I use that word lightly) you really are an IDIOT! Talk about how you don’t like scores all you want, but when you boo something that these young people have worked their backsides off all summer to do, you just lost any respect I may have had for you.

This was an amazing summer, not only for my son, but for me as well. My first involved with drum corps and I look forward to many more, but as far as coming back to this ridiculous banter, I’ll get back to you on that one.

Congratulations to EVERY young woman, and young man that put their heart and soul into this summer, I for one apologize that you now have to sit back and read the garbage that some folks post.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it “interesting” that ANYONE can post on here about “Oh this show is easy” .. “they don’t march enough” .. Seriously, unless you’ve tied up your shoes, picked up a rifle or a tuba and walked a step of any of these shows, NOBODY has the knowledge to say anything about any show. I certainly know I can’t, I couldn’t’ do any of that if you paid me! Sure have your opinion, talk about how you like this show because of this, or didn’t like another show for whatever reason. I can tell you, my son just spent the last 3 months IN one of those shows. I never once heard “wow we don’t hardly move at all” or “man the band sure sits in those chairs and plays a lot” .. He’s been home going on a week and I’ve heard NOTHING negative about ANY corps from him. I think it really does plain SUCK that folks can come on here and talked down about a show, or belittle a corps. To read how someone on hear was one of those IDIOTS that booed on finals night, sir (and I use that word lightly) you really are an IDIOT! Talk about how you don’t like scores all you want, but when you boo something that these young people have worked their backsides off all summer to do, you just lost any respect I may have had for you.

This was an amazing summer, not only for my son, but for me as well. My first involved with drum corps and I look forward to many more, but as far as coming back to this ridiculous banter, I’ll get back to you on that one.

Congratulations to EVERY young woman, and young man that put their heart and soul into this summer, I for one apologize that you now have to sit back and read the garbage that some folks post.

I hear ya, bud. But these guys have heard this millions of times and it's always in one ear and out the other. You'll notice that there are only a few on here that continue to back up the blue devils. Most people have just realized that nothing you say on here will change their minds on BD. I've for the most part come to embrace their bashing as a compliment.

I hear ya, bud. But these guys have heard this millions of times and it's always in one ear and out the other. You'll notice that there are only a few on here that continue to back up the blue devils. Most people have just realized that nothing you say on here will change their minds on BD. I've for the most part come to embrace their bashing as a compliment.

Don't get me wrong I am without question a BD Fan and a homer, come on how can I not be!

Honestly my post was directed to folks that bash ANY corps, or ANY show, as it's said many times .. until you've walked a day in my shoes .. that goes here. Until you've marched a step in ANY of these shows, nobody can say what is easy and what is not. Period. Let me add, before someone says "Well I marched last year" or "I marched and you didn't" all this might be 100% true, but if you marched last year and not this, or marched 10 years ago, my statement still rings true.

I would like to think people who have marched, written drill, and taught drill can gage pretty well how difficult the movement on a field is without having to lace up the dinkles and march the show.

Count me in as one of those who it went in one ear and out the other. I don't buy the notion that you can't judge it without marching it, and also will not buy that BD marched as much or more than the others and had the difficulty. Keep selling it, but I won't buy it. They performed very well, but that is as much as I can give them. . .and the performers should be congratulated for that, and for winning.

I expect he was referring to 3:00 on the Allentown "on demand", 3:48 on Atlanta, or 2:28 on San Antonio. All three show the diagonal movement referenced and the guard work. Also, you will seethe drum line doing the same about 20 seconds before the footage noted above.

Ok, there it is. Surely this is not the movement being used to call the chair usage difficult, or not as easy as some of us are saying.

Keep selling it, but I won't buy it.

This is exactly the problem with the majority of people who participate here. They have their opinions, and by god nobody's going to change that. That makes these pages and pages and pages of discussion absolutely worthless.

Listening to opposing viewpoints is completely pointless if you're not willing to keep an open mind about what you're reading.

Ok, there it is. Surely this is not the movement being used to call the chair usage difficult, or not as easy as some of us are saying.

I don't know. However, keep in mind that if you have a euphonium pressed to your face, you can't SEE the chairs. So, marching diagonally through them at 170-180 bpm can be a problem if you (or the chairs) are not in the right position.

Also, keep in mind that ANY placement of the chairs is stationary for much longer than any drill set. So if it is not precise, the judges have a good long look.

As someone said before, there is more to difficulty than marching fast.

Ok here's how I see it.

There are two arguments going on here - one about people hating on Devils for being successful, and one about them not moving as much.

Firstly, I don't hate the Devils for being good. I judge them year to year based on what they do. Some years I like (2002, 2003, 2006), some years I love (1984, 1994, 1996, 2007), some I don't care for as much (2001, 2005, 2008). Blue Devils are a 50/50 split with me, and that's fine. I don't have to love what they do every season.

2009 is still on the fence for me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I watched them on fan network a couple times before seeing them at Buffalo in an effort to get into the show...still didn't quite click for me. I think it might take a few more viewings. I can tell you this though - they were really good, I mean REALLY, REALLY ####### good at what they do, and they looked #### good doing it. Nobody could touch their execution.

About the movement issue. I disagree that I have to suit up and march BD, Crown, and Cadets before I can give a valid opinion. We all have eyes, and I would hope most people who are commenting have seen all the shows. I have watched them all on fan network.

Sure, people are pissing and moaning about Devils' lack of movement, but you know what? It isn't an unfounded opinion. Devils moved significantly less than Crown and Cadets. What I don't understand is why BD fans are getting so worked up over it...watch the other shows, it is obvious, but who cares?? I understand you are defending your corps, but to argue otherwise just looks silly. They just won the world championship of the highest level of marching arts sitting down, literally!!! That alone is a testament to how talented the corps was and how well they performed.

Edited by Slow Adam

As for Winged Victory... I couldn't describe that show if my life depended on it, and I can't remember a melodic line from it at all. And as for last years... I honestly don't even remember a name or theme.

Wow not even Pegasus in the opener? You would have to be in a coma to not dig that piece.

This is exactly the problem with the majority of people who participate here. They have their opinions, and by god nobody's going to change that. That makes these pages and pages and pages of discussion absolutely worthless.

Listening to opposing viewpoints is completely pointless if you're not willing to keep an open mind about what you're reading.

pot kettle black sir, and if you hate DCp so much, we're not forcing you to post and/or read here