DCI/DCP Breakdown

Breakdown of DCI/DCP  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Music Major Influence in DCI

• I marched DCI and am/was a music major
    • I marched DCI and am/was NOT a music major
    • I never marched and am/was a music major
    • I never marched and am/was NOT a music major

I marched three seasons and was a Tuba Performance Major. Needless to say, I am now in Civil Engineering, lol

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a music major, but not in percussion. (voice was my primary instrument, music theory was my major)

Same here!

So you can learn something new on DCP!

It would be interesting to cross-tab these results with the "how old are you?" thread. For instance, I marched lat '70's-early'80's and was not a music major, and I think most of my compatriots then were not music majors either. But maybe its different with more recent marchers.

I was thinking about this today. I'd like to see a poll that asks age/experience against satisfaction with the direction of the activity.

Marched five years in junior, three years in all-age. Marched in a non-corps style marching band for four years in high school. Did not major in music, did not march in college marching band, only played in college concert band freshman year.

I marched DCI but only had one semester of college, then I toured with a grunge rock band through the 90's playing bass.

The touring lifestyle and performing everyday clearly was the thing that stuck the most...changed my life forever.

Maybe a bit off topic but...

Right now I'm in Guatemala, riding my motorcycle to the bottom of South America. I wish I were playing my way down there but I guess the motorcycle will have to do.

As to the direction of drum corps? I don't like everything but over all, I still love it. I love it enough to sit in front of a tiny laptop for 3+ hrs trying to watch the live broadcast on a 3rd world slow connection...practically no visual, only audio...and I'm one of the hardcore 2 valve guys too. Despite changes that I don't agree with, it's better than ever!

I marched 4 years in HS, and 2 years in DCA. I have had 2 knee surgeries, a bad other knee, and a reconstructed heel, and never got the chance because of that and school to march DCI.

I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Music Ed and teach full time. I know tons of talented musicians that are not music majors and don't think it is a necessity for success in DCI. I know many music majors that couldn't hang in DCI...