If Lucas Oil was a Bust...

This looks like a cool stadium. Nice high seats for a good drill read...

I found a picture here

I apologize if this is NOT the correct stadium you are referring to.

Nope....you got it.....that's The Murph (Quaalcom)

I thought they were going to make it a turf field, now that the Padres have their own stadium to suck in.

As for the acoustics, I remember no problems in 04 at ToC,aside from distance.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a perfect world DCI would construct their own private stadium. It could house a Hall of Fame, museum, and produce many terabytes of historical DVDs just like NFL films.

This stadium would be at headquarters dead center in the middle of the country. It would seat 40,000 (comfortably!) and a small press box on one side and the other side would be formed to whatever is best for acoustics. The field would be the new turf with no logos, just hash marks. Near the stadium would be 40 multi-purpose rooms to house all the corps, complete with warm showers, a massive computer room, and 20 film rooms. Across from the stadium would be a multi-theater for I&E that would also be host to year-round camps for grade schoolers and junior highers to come and learn about the wonders of DCI.

But I'm just dreaming. I vote San Diego because I cannot imagine a better place to be in August. Also, with such a big event, I'm certain DCI could negotiate event rates at various hotels if you make your reservations through them. The Gas Lamp District is a blast, but when I retire I'm going to retire at a window table at the Lahaina Beach House at Pacific Beach and drink a pitcher every night to watch the sun set in the Pacific Ocean.

Trust me. Pasadena was a huge mistake. San Diego is just a better place for weather and for families. Although the Murph is not an ideal location because they have that stupid baseball infield there. There must be another stadium that could host it there. Where does Univ. of San Diego play their games?

Edited by Gaddabout

Grass is fine, but alot of stadiums won't let marching band come tear up their turf right before football season. DCI killed Foxboro.

DCI was at Invsesco in '04 and the filed was fine, mainly because the stadium was switched up for quarters and semi's to use the other site for finals. The only issue that arised was that Magic decided to use water in a show that ticked of they used and spilled water everywhere.

After reading about all the complaints about Lucas Oil Stadium....We all sure know what we don't like :-) ie. bad acoustics, bad this bad that etc etc etc....I thought I would ask the following....Where would you have the championships instead?

And why?

How about yours?

I'd be open to trying new venues -- for one year. But of my favorites:

Buffalo -- Not too hot, stuff to do across the border and inexpensive, but on the down side, not especially centrally located.

Denver -- Gorgeous stadium, hotel next door, stuff to do.

Bloomington -- Nice venue but I think we might have been spoiled by the weather in 2008.

Places I'll never return:

Orlando -- Stadium is OK and there is plenty to do but August is not the time to be there.

Indianapolis -- 'Nuff said

San Diego

1) An actual parking lot....no overflow onto a next door golf course.

2) Lots of hotel space in and around town, especially near the stadium

3) Beach is a LOT closer to the host site!

4) The San Diego Trolley goes right TO the stadium and comes from many parts of the county....so you could easily get an inexpensive Motel 6 in El Cajon and trolley it into the Murph...although I'm not sure when it stops running at night. That's probably what I'd do anyway....since my father lives too far east to hit the trolly (and I don't think he'd like me spending a week at his house only to eat his food and sleep in his guest bed!)

5) They haven't hosted a major show with that many corps before, so the housing bridges probably haven't been burned.

6) There are several colleges fairly close for Open Class (unless they decide to hold it in the Murph itself). Aztec Bowl at San Diego State would've been great for sight lines, as it was pretty high, but it doesn't exist anymore (and besides, the concrete construction made EVERY major chord reverb as a major 7th...quite interesting when I was in the SDSU band and we were recording ourselves)

7) PLENTY of amenities and places to see and things to do close to town.

8) From a logistics standpoint, the entry tunnel is VERY wide....no logjams with corps going in and out at the same time.

9) NO LOUD BUZZING LIGHTS!

10) The seats weren't designed for Barbie dolls!

11) It's NOT surrounded by nearby houses (like the Rose Bowl), so corps should not have a problem with parking lot shows, if they want to.

The only downsides I remember is the front sideline's a little far from the stands, but the angle of the Rose Bowl was similar, and traffic is never really good on Friars Rd (the entry to the property)...but the Rose Bowl was limited as well.

I wish they had held it in San Diego in 2007. I lived right across the street from Qualcomm. That would have been PERFECT!

I would go to the rotation system again. Midwest, East, South, Mountain, Midwest, East, Wildcard, West. Corps would only go to Cali once every 8 years, West Coast corps only go east every 4 (still an imbalance but there are more corps in thee astern half of the country. My rotation would be...

bloomington_memorial2.jpg

Bloomington... An accidental success. Dare I say it, drum corps PERFECTION! I've been saying they should have finals here since I first performed there in PoC in 1991

orchard_park_rich1.jpg

Buffalo... A stadium with DCI history. Nice accoustically, decent parking. Not really in a ghetto. Also decent airport access. Things to do in the area other than drum corps (Niagra Falls, Canada).

austin_texas_memorial1.jpgAustin... Not really "South" in the traditional sense, but many plusses here. Yes it is hot as h-e-double hockey sticks in TX in Aug, BUT at least it is not humid. With The Crossmen and Revo both being located in TX as well as Forte and some senior corps, I thing TX should be included on the rotation. Memorial Stadium has a HUGE concert side and there is an alternative field on campus that could be used for quarterfinals and Open Class

denver_invesco1.jpg

Denver... Duh! A VERY successful RECENT championships site. Plenty of parking. Good access. Plenty to do in the area. A no brainer.

madison_camp_randall2.jpg

Madison... Camp Randall is the SOUL of DCI. No finals rotation should be without it. End of Story.

orlando_citrus1.jpg

Orlando... Yeah yeah yeah... I know, lots of folks say it was a disaster but it IS the vacation center of the Universe. You can't argue with the pulling power of Mickey and Co. The stadium aint half bad either. Also, a tie in with Disney would be a must!

The Wildcard.

This would be for any one of a number of venues to be included that would not otherwise be included on the permanent rotation. Only venues in this rotation would be considered for placement on future rotations. On this list, I would include the following for consideration:

kansas_city_arrowhead1.jpg

Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City

atlanta_dodd1.jpg

Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta

jacksonville_alltel2.jpg

Jacksonville

stanford_stadium1.jpg

Stanford... Not really sure if it is big enough but it IS a beautiful statdium. ALternatively I would have picked Qualcomm in San Diego.

At the end of the day, DCI is an OUTDOOR activity. The beauty of having Finals in places like Bloomington and Madison is ATMOSPHERE, something that by all accounts LOS sorely lacks!

After reading about all the complaints about Lucas Oil Stadium....We all sure know what we don't like :-) ie. bad acoustics, bad this bad that etc etc etc....I thought I would ask the following....Where would you have the championships instead?

And why?

Would you chance on a place that is unproven (LOS like DCI did) or go with one of the tried and true locations that have worked well in the past....maybe even one from another decade perhaps? For myself, one of my favorite stadiums was Arrowhead in Kansas City. I remember being in a staging area outside that stadium and saying to myself...WOW....

How about yours?

Bloomington, Indiana. I loved that stadium stands are close to the field and nice field

Doesn't matter where or how much anyone liikes a stadium. Indy has it for eight more years, get used to it and don't buy the seats right behind the plexiglass. It really hurts the view and the sound. I didn't mind the sound overall. I think it made the corps sund bigger than they actually where and no winds had to help the guard. A little echo never hurt anyone, but DCI overdid their ten year commitment. Life goes on. Lets worry more about bringing our soldiers home and less about acoustics in a weeklong event.