If Lucas Oil was a Bust...

Where does Univ. of San Diego play their games?

USD, while a NCAA Div 1A school (West Coast Conference), competes at the 1AA-Mid-Major level in football (Pioneer League). The school has its own on-campus stadium, but it seats roughly 8,000 or so. Not exactly big enough for WC Finals, but maybe an option for OC? I like the idea of hosting the I&E on the USD campus though, or even at the convention center (but they wouldn't need all that space...maybe a local hotel in Mission Valley??).

SD is a great place, nice weather, easy transportation, and tons of things to do. But like others have said, the stadium (which folks now simply refer to as "the q") is not the most friendly in terms of distance between the sidelines and the seats.

While we're throwing out nice places to visit with great weather and tons of things to do, why not consider Hawaii? Aloha Stadium seats 50,000 and hosts the Pro Bowl every year (well, not anymore, but used to). Corps can practice on a boat heading to the islands, or they could use the flight for extra sleep. Costs to get there?? Um.... :unhappy::thumbup:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Finals rotate between multiple sites:

Pasadena

Buffalo

Madison

Kansas City

Denver

Also, there's building a new football Stadium in Santa Clara for the 49ers ... That could also be a great site.

Pasadena

Buffalo

Madison

Kansas City

Denver

Also, there's building a new football Stadium in Santa Clara for the 49ers ... That could also be a great site.

I like your idea and think there's merit to having a west coast finals, but please, Rose Bowl--NEVER AGAIN! :unhappy:

Just throwing this out there - TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN.

TCF Bank Stadium Photo Gallery

:unhappy::thumbup::worthy::wink:

I'm not saying DCI should have Finals here, just saying that it's awesome that a brand new state of the art football stadium has a state of the art band headquarters built in! Not just a band room, but an entire suite with a rehearsal hall with a high ceiling, tons of storage and offices!

Didn't know that stadium in Minneapolis was ready!!! WOW. NICE VENUE! It's gonna get cold Gopher fans....hope you didn't get too comfortable in the HHH dome.

With that said, I think it looks too small on the home side for a Finals crowd. I could see it hosting a regional. It's very "Stanford" sized. I'd like to see a show there SOON!

Bobby Dodd at Ga Tech is also probably too outdated and a bit smallish for a Finals Crowd. This isn't 1984, and I don't think people realize how small it really is in comparison to the big stadiums we've been in recently.

Charlotte is perfect, except for the "no parking" aspect. I think the grass situation would come into play though. I'd rather see it in Charlotte, as opposed to Atlanta. Columbia and Clemson have the 2 largest stadiums in the Carolinas but there is NOTHING to do there.

Pasadena

Buffalo

Madison

Kansas City

Denver

There actually WAS a proposal floated near then end of the Pesceone era for exactly that...a set of stadiums that would rotate finals...San Diego, in fact, was on the list. The shoot down at that time was the baseball field would still be down for the Padres to suck on (can you tell I'm FROM San Diego??)

After reading about all the complaints about Lucas Oil Stadium....We all sure know what we don't like :-) ie. bad acoustics, bad this bad that etc etc etc....I thought I would ask the following....Where would you have the championships instead?

And why?

Would you chance on a place that is unproven (LOS like DCI did) or go with one of the tried and true locations that have worked well in the past....maybe even one from another decade perhaps? For myself, one of my favorite stadiums was Arrowhead in Kansas City. I remember being in a staging area outside that stadium and saying to myself...WOW....

How about yours?

Denver

Madison

Bloomington

and maybe rotate the fourth location. You could even include Bloomington

Denver....someone already mentioned its pro's. Great stadium (As spacious and well lit as Lucas Oil....great sound OUTDOORS)

Madison.....it's Madison folks. Awesome people, great tradition. Just a good vibe there.

Bloomington was pretty nice. Good stadium, hotels and restaurants nearby....but I don't know about making it a permanent choice in a rotation.

One of my other passions is scale model building. They rotate the national show from the west to mid-west to east coast so that people who are not willing (Or can't) travel very far...have a chance to attend. This year it is in Ohio next year it's in Phoenix......

As much as I'd like to see DCI Finals in San Diego... I don't think Qualcomm is a good stadium for it. I'd wait a few years til the Chargers get their new stadium :) Drum Corps by the bay!

newaerial.jpg

Now that looks like some great sight lines! Thanks for sharing.

There actually WAS a proposal floated near then end of the Pesceone era for exactly that...a set of stadiums that would rotate finals...San Diego, in fact, was on the list. The shoot down at that time was the baseball field would still be down for the Padres to suck on (can you tell I'm FROM San Diego??)

I think the first one in the rotation was Jackson, and after that disaster, suddenly the rotation list vanished....never to be seen again...lol