Dan Acheson should be fired

... I want a symbolic firing then if you prefer, happens all the time in the real world

A symbolic firing? Would that be like a symbolic burning at the stake?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You want him fired because the stadium wasn't finished on time, and for leaving a roof closed?

:unhappy:

Mike

Here's more of what he said, from a few days ago. Had I been there, I would still be livid from the retreat fiasco. I agree that someone should be held accountable for that alone.

I just got back, worst finals ever (I've been to over 25)

sound was bad

sound was really bad all 3 nights, up high and down low

had to ditch one of my seats near the aisle as view was blocked by glass

seats were wide and well padded but the sound was really bad

when I went to the 600 level to see semis - noticed they were pumping the amps through the house sound, so you heard the din and rumble from the field below and then the synths from above your head -freaking sucked, BK’s shiver noise was so loud, how the heck did they judge ensemble like that? when I went below again for finals I noticed the amps coming through the speaker stack hanging in the middle from the roof...beyond yuck

sound was really bad

DCI lied to me -I asked them some questions at their both and was told it was the stadium that decided on the roof

town and hotel were fine

they moved 'the lot' far away, had to take a shuttle bus to a park if you wanted to see it, I never saw it

souvie area was very far away, only walked through it once because it was so removed, save me from buying anything...yep. I didn't buy a single thing from them mainly due to location but also if the corps are DCI and DCI thinks this is fine, screw them, screw them all

retreat was the worst ever, from the stupid smoke machines to the bad video montage with Coldplay blasting, Blue Devils score got booed btw

crowd was the rudest ever for finals week, no usher for quarter or semis, people up and down though out shows, had to kick people out of my seats several times, once they got mad at me, cell phones going off, one even answered and talked through Cavies....baby crying during finals a few rows back...as crappy as the sound was you could hear everything in the seats around you, way too much in fact

could hear the air conditioner blowers when they were cranking and the corps were at soft parts -wrecked SCV semis run for me as they were really bad up high but you could still hear them in the 200/300 level, just add more to the never ending rumble

the crowd was dead, no energy what so ever

food sucked, when ever you bought a pop or water they kept the cap, my water was kick over 2 times, don’t trust the cup holders

basically, the stadium overwhelmed the corps, anyone that thinks the sound was good or even acceptable is telling me they either work for DCI, are deaf or they don’t really have an ear at all and are looking at the pretty flags.....phrasings, attacks, releases, articulation were ruined as well as music ensemble

bring me the head of Dan Acheson

good luck if you want to hear the battery because you won't, if you watch drums you might as well stay home.....just noise, not even dynamics really...just awful

as one corps went off to a single bass drum hit, I could count a 2 second delay and 7 repeats

the roar/ rumble caused ear fatigue, almost like being in an airplane, gave me a headache on day 2 - it sounded better with ear plugs as it cut some of the back ground crap but that made the brass even more quite - never got that brass punch in the chest I look for...never

as for next year...well, I’m not re-upping my friends of DCI membership (I’m at a high level too) and I won’t buy the five pack...4 out of the six of us won’t go back there ever...me and another are on the fence, might just hit finals as it only a 3 hour drive and I can pick up a ticket at the door but the way I feel now, even that’s doubtfull...so out of our group, DCI just lost about 6K, hope they can afford it

these are just my first thoughts, I'm tired and still bitter at how they ruin their own product, more later

overall, I want my money back, worst finals ever

If corps directors are hiding behind him, making him the front for their poor decisions, so what. I want a symbolic firing then if you prefer, happens all the time in the real world

How about a symbolic firing for your posts?

Edited by Kyle B

cowtown,

I think you are over oversimplifying the problem (and the solution).

Dan Acheson was hired by the top 12 (at that time) DCI directors to carry out the wishes of those same 12 individuals. He's done that, and maybe more. Afterall, it is those same 12 who pay him, and can let him go. He's also a drum corps guy.

If those same 12 wanted 2009 DCI Finals held in Iraq, Dan would have worked just as hard as he did for Indy, to make Iraq happen.

Let's all calm down.

Please.

One man's personal enjoyment, or lack thereof, has never equated to "massive business errors". Good thing, too, because some people are never happy.

Funny, Boo replied while I was typing up my previous response so I didn't see until after I posted it and I called it, almost textbook it’s the type of thing I’m really tired of, the DCI mentality of a good excuses = good results

The late venue switch was a surprise to even the Indianapolis Convention and Visitor's Bureau when it was dropped by the construction supervisor live on the Indianapolis Channel 13 news...

how does that explain the deliberating misleading expectation that roof at Lucas Oil Can would be open

The national television thing has been discussed to death here. I'm sure others can provide plenty of links as to why Finals isn't being currently broadcast..

fact is, its gone, maybe a better leader could have figure out a solution but you rather have him try and try and try to get it right...I'd rather they got it right

I don't remember if you've been happy about too much of anything the past couple of years. I remember many threads and comments that continuously vented off the deep end regarding just about everything. Others who have read this board for awhile know exactly the type of thing to which I'm referring.

and there is the disgruntle fan that hates the ‘kids’ excuse

E: You don't throw out someone on top who has given their all to make the organization survive some rough times without giving them a chance to tweak things and make them better for next year and every year after.

there it is, reward failure, give the kid an A because he tried but did he really?

I don't see it

Last ear cannot be blamed on Dan or anyone associated with DCI. That was on LOS and the construction company who were behind on their deadline. I thought championships were very successful last year. Great stadium, decent crowd all 3 shows... finals night the stadium was packed.

LOS is a brand new stadium, and DCI took a chance. The place sucks for drum corps, or any musical performance going on in there. Yeah they ####ed up on a few things like where to place the marketplace, and retreat was embarrassing. With the roof, when they made the deal I believe a drainage system was going to be put it.... but still, I'm pretty sure that it would not be DCI's call if the roof would be open or not. DCI runs the show in the stadium, not the stadium.

Who knows what will happen last year, but I'm sure DCI is already looking at the issues, and trying to find solutions to them. Can they break their contract without nay other major issues? I don't know, hopefully, that would be the easiest fix, but I wouldn't mind trying it in that stadium again (as much as I hated it) if they found some way to soak up the echo.

You can't blame Dan for being a good businessman. Even good businessmen get bit in the ### every once in a while, but that when you learn how great of a businessman they are when they try to get out of it.

Many of us have been disturbed with the direction of DCI period. I don't think firing Dan would change a thing. There would just be somebody else to take drum corps in the same direction as it is going now anyway. The real changes need to be made through the board IMHO and the chance of that happening is about Slim to none and Slim was just seen running out the building.

If corps directors are hiding behind him, making him the front for their poor decisions, so what. I want a symbolic firing then if you prefer, happens all the time in the real world

I want accountability not more excuses

I don't really expect anyone to be held accountable. DCI is made up of music educators who all too often prefer making excuses than providing positive, tangible results. How often is little Johnny given A after A when he has sat in the classroom for 4 years and can't even play a scale? But they rather fail little Johnny personally by giving his only As so that he stays in band, fills a seat, adds to their numbers and justifies their program for next years budget because, 'its all about the kids'. At least the gym teachers have enough pride to give the class window-licker a C every now and then. And you can't fake the lack of improvement over the years in a math class. This mentality is prevalent with music educations and we see it in DCI. Excuse after excuse, it's never anyone's fault, it's the economy, it's the stadium, it's the weather, it's a disgruntle fan that hates the 'kids'. We did everything we could, how were we to know, it's not our fault.

But it is your fault, and it's about time to own up and take some responseability

The road to bankruptcy is paved with good intentions

wow. Dude, I have called out DCI many times for things, just as many of us have. But, I think you have anger issues beyond that which we on DCP can fix.

If you were a shareholder and got a cut of DCI's profits, ok, i can see your anger. Or if you were an employee laid off because those above you ###### the company away.

and I'm the last guy to say this to anyone, and actually go off on those that do but...

if you're that ###### off, stop going.

better yet...apply for the job. prove to the BOD why you are so much better than Dan.

IMO, Dan gets way too much #### that should be flung at the BOD.

After the colossal failure of DCI last year with their late date venue switch and the lack of area hotels to support the move to the deliberating misleading expectation that roof at Lucas Oil Can would be open when in fact, DCI planned to and did close it for the entire tenure of their event. I've had enough. During Quarterfinals I experienced something I had never experienced at a Drum Corps show, I regretted being there. The sound was so bad that I asked myself, ‘what am I doing here, this is more annoying than entertaining’. Yep, they ruined the shows for me, that’s pretty unfair to the kids on the field. So enough.

I feel that someone should be held accountable and I’m looking to their leader. Finals week is a huge part of the DCI budget and frankly, they blew it the past 2 years, big time. I don’t think DCI can afford many more failed finals week yet those are now my current expectations from DCI’s management. This activity may be for the kids but it is supported and sustained by the fans and this fan feels abused, lied to and ripped off. So when is the event going to be broadcast on national TV, oh yeah, just another reason to change DCI's leadership, toss them all out.

Its time for some accountability for these massive business failures

Oust yourself- your points are WRONG, period.

Last year was circumstances totally out of DCI's control, and considering all the BS they had to go through just to put finals on, I'd say they did a #### good job of staging it. Go back and watch the video of Phantom on finals night and look how PACKED the stands were that night. There were more fans in the stands in Bloomington than you typically see for an IU football game. Sorry you feel ripped off- how much do you want for your ticket for next season?