I brought a first date to a drum corps show

I Brought My Girlfriend to a Marching Band Show and She Didn’t Break Up With Me

by Jeff Clark in From The Field »

There are a few things you should never bring up on a first date:

You have a moving truck on reserve for Sunday morning in case this date goes well.

You need to call it a night since your cat’s performance of Les Miserables is at 7am.

You spent last weekend at a marching band competition.

Since you and I are not on a first date right now (although the way you look at me makes me wonder your intentions), I feel OK telling you that I spent last weekend at a marching band comepetion.

And it. Was. AWESOME.

Last weekend, the Boston Crusaders hosted a small Drum Corps show in Lawrence, Mass. Drum Corps (for those unfamiliar with toe-roll and pops-to-the-box) is like major league marching band, but without the steroids, gold chains or fantasy leagues.*

My Very Pretty Girlfriend™, being from a music family, is not a music person. Being a field hockey player, she understands competition but not how a bunch of dudes wearing doofy hats walking around in unison on a football field can be competitive (or fun to watch).

So I brought her along to experience my little guilty pleasure.

Being that this-here blog is read by music people, I think it’s safe to assume that most of the people reading this blog were probably in their high school band. And if you were in your school’s marching band, you understand the time and effort that it takes to put together a 10-minute show throughout the fall.** Multiply the hours and heat by 10 and now you’re starting to understand what it’s like to march in a drum corps. It’s hardcore. (Hard corps? eh?)

The show started off with an exhibition performance by a senior corps – made up of members who are too old to compete with their corps and lead normal lives otherwise. They didn’t move and were (understandably) not as polished as a World Class corps. At the risk of hurting a few feelings (send complaints here), the exhibition was pretty boring. This was MVPG™’s first show at a drum corps competition and her comment to me during their performance has been redacted by the Sonicbids management. It wasn’t what you would consider a “positive” remark.

But then something incredible happened. And that something incredible was The Crossmen*** from San Antonio, TX. Their show started out with a loud, fast hit that gave me goosebumps immediately. Their ballad was slow and awesome. Their finale brought everyone to their feet. MVPG™ ate it up and from then on, compared every other corps to The Crossmen.

Corps after corps performed and she would go on about how x and y were great, but they weren’t better than The Crossmen. She would hold her breathe when the guard’s rifles went in the air and clap for a great soloist. We made plans to travel to the 2010 Allentown, PA show before the fourth corps had even stepped off. She was finally understanding why I had been so excited for this one night.

Unfortunately, The Crossmen didn’t win that night (MVPG™ says they were robbed). But in addition to seeing some great performances by Phantom Regiment, Madison Scounts, Boston Crusaders, Colts, Jersey Surf and Spirit, I feel like I can finally watch a random corp’s peformance on my laptop without feeling her silently judging me from the other end of the couch.

If MVPG™ can get pumped about a drum corps show, you can too. The 2009 season ended with the DCI World Championships on Saturday night, but next summer there will be more than 200 corps performing all around the country that would love for you to give them a chance at giving you goosebumps.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My late wife married me in spite of my quirks and always kept the drum corps stuff at an arm's distance. She tolerated me banging on pads while we watched TV, but if I had "marching band" blaring in my headphones she had to leave the room.

About two years ago her mother and boyfriend came out with the explicit intent of going to the local corps show and after much pleading I convinced her to go with me and join them. Her mother's boyfriend was a huge DCI fan. Coincidence!

She LOVED it, especially Crown's horse race show. We actually sat down together to watch the finals on ESPN2 and she sat through the whole thing with me making comments at the end of each show.

She passed in April, but I can't tell you how thrilling it was to be finally be able to share such a wonderful part of my life with her ... and for it to be received so well. It's one of those memories I go back to when the emotions hit rough waters.

Gaddabout- I wish you a good day today. Your story touched me.

I asked my wife to watch FN this year. She did, She said to me "I just do not understand how you can like this stuff. They all sound the same to me." The only Drum Corps she knows is the Glassmen. And she never calls them bands. She will never go to a Show. She is in no way shape or form interested in this Activity. Yet my wife has allowed me the freedom to be involved with the Glassmen once again. She knows every penny that I donate to the Glassmen. Why? Well, I spend the money and she pays the bills. For example: When I went to semi's this year I asked her for the card and all she said to me was" Not to go overboard" When I came home with a bag full of shirts and hats, and handed her the receipts from everything I spent that day, Let's just say they were over $99.00 :tongue: All she said to me was "it looks like you had a good time" :cool: I love my wife. I do keep reminding her that most of the money I spend is indeed a tax write-off. :doh:

For some of us without the support of our better- half our involvement in this Activity of ours would not be where it is at today. :doh:

For those that keep posting "If you don't like it then leave" Please remember for many(not all) who have taken your advice and some who are thinking about taking your advice it has not been one person who left this Activity. It has been 2 or more people leaving.

Dean

PS I just asked my wife to read what I just wrote. I asked her if what I wrote was the truth? She answered YES and gave a nice long hug. :cool:

I remember taking a gf to a local drum corps show. This while I was still a marching member. It was painfully obvious she didn't enjoy the experience. One comment in particular was very offensive. She said the drum corps people reminded her of

"carnival types." Perhaps her being from Beverly Hills had something to do with her offensive and pius atitude? Needless to say I never dated her again, my choice! Ironically, a year later I saw her again at, of all things, a drum corps show. Much to my surprise she had joined a rival corps and was in the guard!! I guess she changed her mind and decided to join the ranks of us "carnival types."

The irony of it all!

Edited by morganhill

heck ya the crossmen got robbed!!!! 16th place seriously DCI?!?!?

uh...yes

I remember taking a gf to a local drum corps show. This while I was still a marching member. It was painfully obvious she didn't enjoy the experience. One comment in particular was very offensive. She said the drum corps people reminded her of

"carnival types." Perhaps her being from Beverly Hills had something to do with her offensive and pius atitude? Needless to say I never dated her again, my choice! Ironically, a year later I saw her again at, of all things, a drum corps show. Much to my surprise she had joined a rival corps and was in the guard!! I guess she changed her mind and decided to join the ranks of us "carnival types."

The irony of it all!

I think you may have misunderstood. I think she was just calling you a carnival type. She loved the show :thumbup:

Can someone please respond to him and just fix one type.

He wrote Senior corps.

Most likely it was an alumni corps, and senior corps are now known as All-Age corps.

Believe me, all-age corps do move.

My first girlfriend was in the VK guard. Then I had a few NDC (non drum corps) girlfriends. One would go to shows, the others not so much. My ex-wife fell alseep during BD in 83. Note the use of the term "ex".

My next couple of girlfriends liked going to shows. One was even the "drum Mom" for my HS line.

But when I got re-married, it was to a drum corps girl.

It's really that simple, guys. And this year I won the $1 in our annual SCV vs PR finals bet. She leads that one 5-4. Looks like I'll take another dollar from her in our annual Angels vs Cubs bet, based on final regular season record. I'm doing better there, 6-2, though it was close in 2004 and 2008.

She likes Jimmie Johnson. I like Tony Stewart.

She likes Dario Franchitti. I like Helio Castroneves.

Makes things fun.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor