Same music used over and over and over again.

Actually, Crown already did Applachian Spring, in 2008.

And I wouldn't mind seeing a Dr. Suess show - at least that hasn't been done already, over and over and over and over....

Fox in Socks read over a mic would be AMAZING!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or we could incorporate the music of this guy:

Barney.jpg

At least it would be original. I checked corpsreps, and no one has ever done the "Barney the Dinosaur" theme before.

OK, everyone, sing along with me:

I love you, you love me,

we've a drum corps family

with the same songs, done over and over, until we're blue

won't you say you love me too?

p.s., I know most of you think I am a dinosaur - a relic, from an age of drum corps past. Many of you think I belong in a museum (or at least, an asylum.)

I may be a dinosaur, but I am not Barney the Dinosaur. I am more akin to this dinosaur:

jurassic_park_tyranosaurus_rex.jpg

That would definitely call for some original music. Can you imagine having the composition chops to set that lyric?

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

PS Paging Key Poulan. Fox in Socks? :thumbup:

It is clearly evident that we are in a judging/design cycle where pushing the envelope with new music ideas is a big no, no. This is very true for corps below sixth place.

Clearly evident? That would imply an abundance of corps taking risks with new music and getting dumped competitively for it. I'm trying to think of one such instance this year. Drawing a blank... :thumbup:

Probably because Krenek, Sibelius, Albert, Colgrass, Stucky, and the others are 20th century pieces of schlock that the vast majority of drum corps fans would most likely not want to see/hear performed on a football field.

My opinion is a mix and match version of the OP's, but I have to honestly say as GREAT of a piece that Malaguena is, I'd have a hard time deciding whether or not to march in a corps planning on playing YET ANOTHER VERSION of it.

Probably because Krenek, Sibelius, Albert, Colgrass, Stucky, and the others are 20th century pieces of schlock that the vast majority of drum corps fans would most likely not want to see/hear performed on a football field.

What other "20th century pieces of schlock" would you like to see eliminated from the drum corps repertroise? Gustav von Holst? Otto Respighi? Igor Stravinksy?

Heck, we would have to eliminate Aaron Copland, which has everyone's favorite composition at the moment...As well as Leonard Bernstein....George Gershwin.... and those are just the classical/neoclassical composers. You would probably have to eliminate the vast majority of the jazz, blues, Broadway, and other contemporary composers as well. They did all their work in the 20th century.

Yep, take all these works, and rip them right out of the repertroise - put them through the shredder.

Look, I don't disagree with you, that there are some pieces written in the past century, which are unsuitable for the drum corps field. But that doesn't mean all of them are unsuitable. Many of these would make excellent material for DBC shows - and here is living proof.

The Glassmen offered a show this year, with Joseph Curiale, Steve Reich, Michael Nyman, Cesar Franck, and Harry Nilson. All but one of these authors comes from the 20th century. And all these works were performed on the DBC field for the first time - except for one of the Curiale pieces, Joy. And yes, their music program was successful - the finished 10th in music GE, and 10th overall. So no, the judges did not penalize them, for using original, modern music.

That is what I would like to see more of in DBC - show designers with both brains and guts.

What other "20th century pieces of schlock" would you like to see eliminated from the drum corps repertroise? Gustav von Holst? Otto Respighi? Igor Stravinksy?

Heck, we would have to eliminate Aaron Copland, which has everyone's favorite composition at the moment...As well as Leonard Bernstein....George Gershwin.... and those are just the classical/neoclassical composers. You would probably have to eliminate the vast majority of the jazz, blues, Broadway, and other contemporary composers as well. They did all their work in the 20th century.

Yep, take all these works, and rip them right out of the repertroise - put them through the shredder.

Look, I don't disagree with you, that there are some pieces written in the past century, which are unsuitable for the drum corps field. But that doesn't mean all of them are unsuitable. Many of these would make excellent material for DBC shows - and here is living proof.

The Glassmen offered a show this year, with Joseph Curiale, Steve Reich, Michael Nyman, Cesar Franck, and Harry Nilson. All but one of these authors comes from the 20th century. And all these works were performed on the DBC field for the first time - except for one of the Curiale pieces, Joy. And yes, their music program was successful - the finished 10th in music GE, and 10th overall. So no, the judges did not penalize them, for using original, modern music.

That is what I would like to see more of in DBC - show designers with both brains and guts.

Write a show yourself and shop it around then, instead of just complaining about it.

Write a show yourself and shop it around then, instead of just complaining about it.

Seems like that's all he's here for anyway is to complain. Nothing is good enough.

You seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. Others are suggesting their own repertoire restrictions that you don't like. See how that works?