Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

Allentown, though, is really another one of those "old school" types of shows, though, isn't it, because of the history and all? (Honest question - I've never been there.)

Mike

it gets kids, but i dont ever remember seeing maybe 2 or 3 busses rolling in. tons of alumni tho, and many faces I remember from Friends

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think in one respect it's paid dividends across the board for DCI, in that more and more kids are auditioning for corps. (Of course, that now opens up the discussion to making sure those kids march *somewhere*, one of my pet peeves...)

Mike

right. bragging about record numbers of cuts doesnt do much to help

Why would a 17-year-old kid spend his discretionary income on a drum corps show? Why not just spend it on a marching band show a month later? What is to differentiate a drum corps show, from a marching band contest, which will probably be much cheaper anyway?

Hmmm..... I think I know - it's the powerful, all-brass sound from a drum corps! You can't get that from a marching band!

So if that is true, we are we eliminating the one true thing that differentiates us from marching band, winter guard, or anything else, for that matter? Their whole marketing approach is nuts!

They differentiate it with the "Marching Music's Major League" moniker - you're going to see the quality of performance. Rightly or wrongly, they actually *do* have a plan there, I think.

Mike

(And I hope I made clear I'm totally *not* calling you out on these posts - just furthering the discussion! :tongue:)

So if that is true, we are we eliminating the one true thing that differentiates us from marching band, winter guard, or anything else, for that matter? Their whole marketing approach is nuts!

"It's the experience"

Yeah, explain that sucker to a newbie....

Better yet, explain that sucker to the parent(s) shelling out the bucks. Sounds too much like "new and improved" crap you see on the store shelves. "We're better than Brand X because we say so". <$1 to the old show Dinosaurs where the dad worked at Wesayso Co.>

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

For me, adding woodwinds to a DCI coprs is about as distasteful as adding woodwinds to a brass quintet. Purely a matter of taste for me, but I go into a DCI event because I like the sound of a brasswind choir and percussion playing together. Adding woodwinds to it might be some peoples' taste, but to me, it's like gross.

I'm trying to think of a valid sports parallel - I guess maybe baseball?

Why go see a MLB game, or a college game, when you could just stay home and watch the HS game? I mean, it's the same game, right? We go 'cause they're better at it than the HS team is, and the game is more fun to watch.

Mike

(I know, I know, aluminum bats, yowza, yowza.)

I think they will end up doing within the next ten years, but it is going to ruin the activity.

Personally, I don't think the sounds will work together, as I personally don't think concert bands or wind ensembles sound good either, let alone marching bands. Just my opinion.

I'm trying to think of a valid sports parallel - I guess maybe baseball?

Why go see a MLB game, or a college game, when you could just stay home and watch the HS game? I mean, it's the same game, right? We go 'cause they're better at it than the HS team is, and the game is more fun to watch.

Mike

(I know, I know, aluminum bats, yowza, yowza.)

woodwinds= aluminum bats

synths/electronics=steroids

good baseball analogies!!

synths/electronics=steroids

good baseball analogies!!

People PO'ed about steroid use and the cost of going to Major League games so staying home or going to Minor League or amateur games.

Yeah... good analogy :tongue:

Oldscooldbc has it right. People WILL pay for something that is unique, high level, satisying, and not always available. Traditional drum corps (as I know it to have been) WAS that.

I also agree with Jeff. It is the legacy fans who have the dollars. Whenever I attended DCI Finals, I typically spent $1000, or more, for the weekend. I did NOT order-in pizza to my hotel room. I attended every year, not just when my kid (if I had one) happened to be marching. There is something to be said for that kind of loyalty, stability. The "new" product might engender the same thing, but, I doubt it.