Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

If it will increase the fan base and amount of kids who can participate in drum corps, why not add woodwinds to DCI? The primary marketing target audience is band kids, and the addition of woodwinds seems to be the next logical choice for DCI. I say, do it.

Item of note, this is not sarcasm.

Lee,

I will respectfully agree to disagree with that as, in my mind, it eliminates anything unique about drum corps. :)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it will increase the fan base and amount of kids who can participate in drum corps, why not add woodwinds to DCI? The primary marketing target audience is band kids, and the addition of woodwinds seems to be the next logical choice for DCI. I say, do it.

at the expense of a lot of fans that do not want woodwinds in there?

That is one whopper of an "if".

We do know that it will continue to erode the identity, and move it "further down the road" to hybridization, but will it increase the amount of kids that can participate? These kids can participate now, they just have to chose to participate in this activity, not some new incarnation of whatever.

If I wanted to be an ice skater, no one would allow me to compete in that sport wearing roller skates, and I would be unreasonable to expect them to change their sport to accommodate my wants. Why should drum corps have to morph into something different because someone might want to be involved if it were different?

Woodwinds in drum corps. There's one thing that boggles my mind, and it's in a question, or two... maybe three, that I can't really answer for myself for the drum corps community.

Will Woodwinds kill the drum corps activity?

Will drum corps fan still go to watch drum corps even if there are woodwinds?

What kind controversy will be expected to spark if having woodwinds in drum corps did get passed by the BoD?

Will anyone in drum corps ever respect the activity again?

Please be mature about it. I may be 19 and will be a drum corps fan when i'm older obviously, but I hate the way the BoD are killing the activity and making modern DCI a big joke to today's old classic drum corps fans and current drum corps advocates and members. I hate to see such an honourable challenging sport go down the drain because of some stupid irrational decisions being made by the BoD. Someone got to step up to the plate and say change it back, I might as well do that when I age out and take a stand at DCI, but something's got to be done NOW before it's to late, and it starts with YOU, the drum corps fans.

Isn't it drum and BUGLE corps. Woodwinds are a no no. I will lose all faith in the world. And DCI, I will never go to a show again.

That is one whopper of an "if".

We do know that it will continue to erode the identity, and move it "further down the road" to hybridization, but will it increase the amount of kids that can participate? These kids can participate now, they just have to chose to participate in this activity, not some new incarnation of whatever.

If I wanted to be an ice skater, no one would allow me to compete in that sport wearing roller skates, and I would be unreasonable to expect them to change their sport to accommodate my wants. Why should drum corps have to morph into something different because someone might want to be involved if it were different?

I don't understand these arguments that begin with-if we turn drum corps into marching band it will be more popular. Don't these people even like drum corps??? Don't they have any faith in the activity???

Woodwinds in drum corps. There's one thing that boggles my mind, and it's in a question, or two... maybe three, that I can't really answer for myself for the drum corps community.

Will Woodwinds kill the drum corps activity?

Will drum corps fan still go to watch drum corps even if there are woodwinds?

What kind controversy will be expected to spark if having woodwinds in drum corps did get passed by the BoD?

Will anyone in drum corps ever respect the activity again?

Please be mature about it. I may be 19 and will be a drum corps fan when i'm older obviously, but I hate the way the BoD are killing the activity and making modern DCI a big joke to today's old classic drum corps fans and current drum corps advocates and members. I hate to see such an honourable challenging sport go down the drain because of some stupid irrational decisions being made by the BoD. Someone got to step up to the plate and say change it back, I might as well do that when I age out and take a stand at DCI, but something's got to be done NOW before it's to late, and it starts with YOU, the drum corps fans.

Personally, I think (im 16) that it was founded on brass and drums, annnnnd guard (got hit by a flag, makes me rather dislike them), pit's ok, but props, speech, and synthesizers I just dot like, thats my view, woodwinds would take away from what it really is. Thats my personal view on it. OH! are you the deaf drum major I heard about? Cause me and my friends at my high school (my friend being the drum major) was in utter awe at it.

OH! are you the deaf drum major I heard about? Cause me and my friends at my high school (my friend being the drum major) was in utter awe at it.

Yes I was. (look at my signature for an awesome hint)

Personally, I think (im 16) that it was founded on brass and drums, annnnnd guard (got hit by a flag, makes me rather dislike them), pit's ok, but props, speech, and synthesizers I just dot like, thats my view, woodwinds would take away from what it really is. Thats my personal view on it. OH! are you the deaf drum major I heard about? Cause me and my friends at my high school (my friend being the drum major) was in utter awe at it.

See, this guys right on the ball, it's not going to happen, there simply are not enough dorks out there to push it through.

We might see some woodwinds in the pit but never a marching sax or flute line, It's a stupid idea and I'm going to sleep now.

Woodwinds marching NEVER look good... the posture looks funny, they look stupid doing visuals... just no. No no no no no no no! I'm sorry but there's no way anyone can come on here and tell me woodwinds look good on a marching band field. They don't. Sorry to all the clarinet and flute band geeks of the world, it's not personal, you just look dumb from the stands.