PR Mello Line

Re: Phantom, their '08 line was good, but in others, especially 2006, there are moments where they are cutting through with un-matched edge and stick-outs. After the trumpet feature in the opener of Faust there is a build-up to a slow half-step 8th-note trill where you can hear at least 5 individual mellophone sounds, which becomes especially obvious when a player on side 2 cuts out near the end of the figure.

There's nothing wrong with edge, but IMO it's only palatable when matched from player to player. In this case it was not.

and what do you think of cavaliers 08 mellos at the very first big hit, and at the very end of the show on the ascending scale? Those are really the most un-pleasant mellophone sounds I've heard in recent years from a top hornline. I Was surprised by that given their approach to brass.

but that doesn't make me say they have a horrible mellophone line, I'm smarter than that :P

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Phantom, their '08 line was good, but in others, especially 2006, there are moments where they are cutting through with un-matched edge and stick-outs. After the trumpet feature in the opener of Faust there is a build-up to a slow half-step 8th-note trill where you can hear at least 5 individual mellophone sounds, which becomes especially obvious when a player on side 2 cuts out near the end of the figure.

There's nothing wrong with edge, but IMO it's only palatable when matched from player to player. In this case it was not.

I absolutely love that mello part in their '06 show, and I can't tell if one person cut out on side two because I've never seen it live, I've only heard the recording. Was the edge there the entire season, or was it just finals night and a few members got excited? Because I remember in '07 the mellos had very little edge and they sounded awesome at the end of the show, but finals night they had more edge to their sound.

Cracks me up…in that other thread there is a little back and forth about how cavies think other brass lines are not good because they have a different approach…you can pick the cavies fan out on this one

I love this stuff - it makes d/c fun

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

But, of course!

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

I rate the 08-09 PR mello lines, also 05, IMO right underneath the very best Cadet lines of 84,93,95,00,01 and the Cavie lines of 02, 03, 05. That's it.