PR Mello Line

The problem is, the mellophone is NOT a french horn. Its more similar to a trumpet than it is to a french horn.

Trying to always play with gross edge is not the way to play a mellophone. Too often, such as the end of Phantom 07, the mellos play crass and out of tune. I don't care if its loud, it does not sound good.

Phantom 08 mellos are a different story. Those guys knew how to play with a good sound.

Favorite mellos ever? Star and Cadets. Crown's recent mello lines remind me of those great Star and Cadet lines.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Phantom's mello lines. But my favorite mello lines are the ones who play lots of runs, so I have to say Cadets mello lines are usually my favorites with Phantom in close second.

I am also a fan of crazy runs in the mello parts. I got a chance to see the PR hornline rehearse late in the season this year, and the mellos had quite a few runs toward the end of the show. It was much easier to hear without the pit and battery, plus they were pretty far backfield. Had they been fielded a bit better, that section would have solidified their place as the ultimate mellophone section for me.

Go figure. Last time I checked, the orchestral sound included a wide range of moods, and their middle voice (the French horn) varies in tone from sonorous to downright nasty as called for in the music. Phantom Regiment's ability to do the same with mellophones is unmatched in today's junior activity.

Bingo.

The problem is, the mellophone is NOT a french horn. Its more similar to a trumpet than it is to a french horn.

Trying to always play with gross edge is not the way to play a mellophone. Too often, such as the end of Phantom 07, the mellos play crass and out of tune. I don't care if its loud, it does not sound good.

Phantom 08 mellos are a different story. Those guys knew how to play with a good sound.

Favorite mellos ever? Star and Cadets. Crown's recent mello lines remind me of those great Star and Cadet lines.

and the trumpet is NEVER meant to play high or to the edge...

I don't like the timbre in PR's mello line. It is a lot closer to a trumpet sound, like the soloist in 08. I like crown's mello sound much more.

My wife marched Mello with the Uof Alabama MDB. We were watching finals (91?, 92?) on TV and she was just stunned at Star's mellos.

Sounded like a trumpet player playing mellophone

I'll defend his honor. The guy is a french horn performance major. And how can someone sound like a french horn on a mellophone, when it has been already stated that the mouthpiece is VERY similar to a trumpet's and not a french horns. Is it more mello? Last I checked, french horns don't always play mello as well.

Other then for the occasional effect, I don't feel that the mello voice should be 'cutting through' anything. The counter melodic line adds support, interest, and body. It should not be an intrusive presence, a sideshow if you will. The technicality and movement of the mello voice will be heard and noticed regardless. It should compliment the main melodic statement rather then compete with it for the interest of the listener.

OH my! Are you serious?

Great mello lines cut through ANY hornline ... great or otherwise. That bell projects like none other. It flat out speaks. When a mello line plays soft and in tune .. it cuts. When they play monstrous and in tune .. they destroy. It's not a french horn my friend. Sorry but there's no way on God's green Earth that I can agree with this statement.

What I wanted to post originally was a question:

Now imagine PR's lines are just as loud and ballsy as all the G line mello's. Can you imagine if an entire hornline were that monstrous? Like not so long ago?