Temperature remains issue in LOS

The Score

Stadium guidelines mandate the roof be closed if the temperature exceeds 90 degrees or plummets below 40. Also, since there is no drainage inside and many of the electronics are not water proof, any threat of precipitation mandates the roof be closed.
“LOS was designed to be an indoor facility with a roof and window open occasionally,” Fox said. “Miller Park in Milwaukee, for example, is designed to be an outdoor facility where the roof closes occasionally.

“Although the common person might look at both as retractable roof stadiums, the design criteria for the two stadiums are completely different. Miller Park planned for very few days of heating or cooling the facility so it has a more open [design] at the concourses. LOS planned for more days of heating and cooling due to our all rear round schedule so sealing the facility was a big design criteria. Therefore, natural breezes through LOS are less frequent than they might be if designed the way of Miller Park.”

And finally:

For more on the events the retractable roof is drawing to LOS—and their economic impact on the city, see the upcoming print edition of IBJ.

Curious to see if there is any DCI reference in hard copy. If/when I get my hand on the print edition, I will post the scoop in this thread.

Edited by mingusmonk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a random question. Since DCI signed a contract to have finals in LOS for the next 10 years starting last year (am I correct?), and since the stadium wasn't ready for finals in 2008, is that considered a breach of contract? I've always been curious about it.

I would be shocked beyond belief if that roof was ever opened at a finals competition. Even if the conditions were just right.

I realize that rain sucks for finals, but doesn't DCI realize that domes do not work for finals? They're an organization of musicians and former marchers...these are obvious things!

I'm very curious to hear the finals recordings, but if they're anything like the San Antonio or Atlanta recordings I've seen/heard from years past, I'm just going to wave goodbye to quality.

I realize that rain sucks for finals, but doesn't DCI realize that domes do not work for finals? They're an organization of musicians and former marchers...these are obvious things!

I'm very curious to hear the finals recordings, but if they're anything like the San Antonio or Atlanta recordings I've seen/heard from years past, I'm just going to wave goodbye to quality.

Oh, I think DCI realizes exactly what indoor stadiums do. Hence why they are their for 10 years and why their major regionals are.......indoors.

I have a random question. Since DCI signed a contract to have finals in LOS for the next 10 years starting last year (am I correct?), and since the stadium wasn't ready for finals in 2008, is that considered a breach of contract? I've always been curious about it.

I doubt it, since the possibility that the stadium would not be finished was discussed before hand and even mentioned in one of the FAQ's when the announcement was made. There was a contingency plan in place....which was used... so I am sure that was all included in the contract.

The silver lining to that is....now we only need to worry about 9 years at LOS right? (well 8 more now)

Oh, I think DCI realizes exactly what indoor stadiums do. Hence why they are their for 10 years and why their major regionals are.......indoors.

But that's what's always separated the major regionals from the finals for me. The regionals are fun, but finals, being the only competition I ever make it to that's outdoors and features more than just California corps just feels and sounds amazing. Bloomington was absolutely incredible, where as LOS felt like a regional. I didn't show up to it or leave it with nearly the same excitement that I did the year before.

Maybe it's just me though, but finals just feel so much more right when they are outdoors.

But that's what's always separated the major regionals from the finals for me. The regionals are fun, but finals, being the only competition I ever make it to that's outdoors and features more than just California corps just feels and sounds amazing. Bloomington was absolutely incredible, where as LOS felt like a regional. I didn't show up to it or leave it with nearly the same excitement that I did the year before.

Maybe it's just me though, but finals just feel so much more right when they are outdoors.

Yeah but its gonna be hard to compare any Finals experience to the one we all felt in Bloomington....regardless of location.

No, don't get me wrong. I'm with you 100%. I just am saying it's not a coincidence and DCI planned it that way for whatever reason. They just wouldn't get into a 10 year deal and not know that is what they were going to have.

Edited by bmroth1

Oh, I think DCI realizes exactly what indoor stadiums do. Hence why they are their for 10 years and why their MOST OF major regionals are.......indoors.

edited because Allentown and Denver, both on the schedule and treated as major regionals, are not in domes