SCV 2009 vs Cadets 1987

SCV 2009 vs Cadets 1987  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

• SCV 2009
    • Cadets 1987

Well, by that same logic, it would stand to reason that most people are voting '87 Garfield because that is what they know (after all, it hasn't even been a year since '09 SCV hit the field). I don't think that is the case though. Both were great shows, for different reasons. Seeing it live (which I did) or going by recordings, I'd still give a slight nod to '09 SCV.

Now, I'll agree the recordings from the 80's could be better, but I don't think that's somehow benefiting SCV in the majority of these votes it. Trying to make such a claim just seems as way to try and provide more validity to your opinion than others. It's simply just that, an opinion. Some people prefer '09 SCV to '87 Garfield, and vice versa. I don't find that so hard to believe.

I saw both corps live the week of finals. Garfield made me jump up and scream due the the buzz surging through my body after they turned back field and faded to that block. It was totally out of my control. It was also the result of having my mind blown and I was totally engrossed as they built and built and built ... so many elements in that show and it was the first I ever saw that had my head whiplashing to see everything. It was literally a mind blowing experience.

SCV had superb control, very minimalist, great elements like mass field coverage, wonderful dance etc etc etc. They built wonderfully to the front ..... BUT -

I had the ability to focus constantly with no surprises or jaw dropping feats of godliness until that front. I didn't hear any 2 octave jumps ... no 32nd note runs ... no triple and quadruple mesh moves (which were nuts) .... Their show was heavily geometric whereas Garfield only used 2 blocks in the entire show. One was a momentary impact and the other was leaving the field.

I truly love what SCV did this year and hope they continue down this path, but it wasn't a Championship show and I think everyone will acknowledge that. It was SUPERB and wonderful and beautiful and tasty .... but it wasn't the same beast as Garfield 87. I think everyone who has posted opinions on here have valid points. I think a good percentage of those who voted really haven't justified themselves with an argument for SCV being better. They did technically play better, but that's about it. And no, I will not compare guards after 22 years of WGI and DCI melding the products being offered from todays guard.

A few more things to think about. 87 Garfield was the first nearly continuous show ever put on the field. The show concept was to put as much of App Spring on the field and have it flow seamlessly to the end. Zingali's visual design (in my mind) is unmatched to this day. They may not be flat out running, but neither did SCV. Zingali had a gift for freehanding his drill and creating an organic product that had a life of it's own. Last, had SCV won this year, then I think this poll would mean something. But they didn't. Even if it was 22 years ago, Garfield set ALL corps on a different path from that day forward. The ideas, technique, style, program design, etc etc etc. has all been duplicated and regurgitated based off of their shows of the mid 80's with 87 being the #1 candidate for "borrowing" ideas.

As I said, SCV was "SCV at it's finest" ...... but this is a no contest poll.

Edited by supersop

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very glad that 84BDsop showed me that, not the best quality but good enough to see the drill better and it's made me appreciate 87 cadets a lot more. Something I could've noticed on multicam but didn't until now was as someone else said the melodic parts being mostly in the pit in SCV 09 but better brass book in cadets 87. Not sure if I would put the cadets over scv for sure but it's made me rethink my vote.

I'm very glad that 84BDsop showed me that, not the best quality but good enough to see the drill better and it's made me appreciate 87 cadets a lot more. Something I could've noticed on multicam but didn't until now was as someone else said the melodic parts being mostly in the pit in SCV 09 but better brass book in cadets 87. Not sure if I would put the cadets over scv for sure but it's made me rethink my vote.

My work here is done!

Glad you enjoyed it!

I truly love what SCV did this year and hope they continue down this path, but it wasn't a Championship show and I think everyone will acknowledge that. It was SUPERB and wonderful and beautiful and tasty .... but it wasn't the same beast as Garfield 87. I think everyone who has posted opinions on here have valid points. I think a good percentage of those who voted really haven't justified themselves with an argument for SCV being better. They did technically play better, but that's about it. And no, I will not compare guards after 22 years of WGI and DCI melding the products being offered from todays guard.

Some of the greatest shows, for many, weren't championship shows. The question is simply "Who do u think did Applacian Springs better?" -- better being various things to different people. I also think most people have made valid points throughout this thread, though in the end it just boils down to preference -- opinion. Whether someone saw both shows live or is basing their vote off recordings, doesn't matter (as some seem to continuously try and make it so). Either way, it doesn't make one's opinion carry any more or less weight than another.

As for me, I thought both were great shows. I liked each for different reasons, many of which you mentioned in your entire post. In the end, I just happened to like the way SCV treated the source music more, or should I say "better". Obviously, a lot of people think otherwise, and that's cool too.

Edited by dcsnare93

I was very fortunate to watch both of these shows live at finals. I consider both of them masterpieces and do not feel the need to rank shows from 22 years apart. All I know is that I have had the priviledge of watching and listening to Garfield '87 for many years and will definitely do the same with SCV '09.

Just plug in "Garfield cadets 87 prelims" at that site that must not be named...someone cobbled together a split screen...one part is from finals (multicam) and the other is prelims. Music is from finals.

Interestingly, the tempo gets off a little near the end...not tempo so much as the 2nd half started a little later on finals night....by the time you get to the famous company front, the prelims vid is off of the finals one by a couple of seconds.

Sam, thanks so much for the heads up! I haven't seen that from hi-cam in a very long time!

Wow drum corps really needs someone with that Zingali organic style where the motion and weight of the line, as driven by the music, is the focus, not so much the forms themselves. It is really missed!

Wow drum corps really needs someone with that Zingali organic style where the motion and weight of the line, as driven by the music, is the focus, not so much the forms themselves. It is really missed!

Yeah. Watching that on high cam made me miss good curvilinear drill. Zingali was the master, and it's rarely been repeated since.

Yeah. Watching that on high cam made me miss good curvilinear drill. Zingali was the master, and it's rarely been repeated since.

Is it strange that I dream hearing the modern shows while seeing Zingali drill?

I always wake up disappointed it isn't reality.

Is it strange that I dream hearing the modern shows while seeing Zingali drill?

I always wake up disappointed it isn't reality.

I dream of hearing the modern hornlines performing older-style (more melodically/emotionally developed) shows with Zingali-type drill. Of course, the way Madison announcements are coming, maybe I'll get to see that!