Cadets ( Hopkins )

So in 1958 the pastor of the Church writes (probably knowing how drum corps people could be back then) a stern letter demanding their property be returned. If Cadets were anything like some of the groups I marched with, they are lucky no one came to their door to pick everything up. To this day I have seen corps have difficulty getting back possession of their expensive property. By todays standards its no great shakes, by 1958's it was probably par for the course. Cool attempt to slime a Church 51 years later.

I disagree with you regarding "attempt to slime the church" ... It's not nice, but it's a part of the corps' history and there's no issue acknowledging it as such.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious.

Does the church exist today? If so, were they informed that The Cadets were going to use their name in 09? And if so, did YEA donate any money to the church?

I would hope so.

The church is still there, and they were not only aware, but a part of a couple events for the 75th Anniversary. I have no idea about compensation....I do know that the church leadership and congregation were very welcoming. Whatever arrangements were made were obviously more than acceptable.

However...they are hardly the only church that has the words "Holy Name" in it's title....I don't think it's like a copyright thing where the corps has to pay to use the name....in fact, originally the corps had the name because the church paid.

Peace,

CuriousMe

To anyone interested in the current relationship between Holy Name Church and The Cadets, go to page 5 of the historical forum to the article captioned "75th Anniversary Events." There is complete coverage there of the memorial mass held to honor all deceased Cadets on the Sunday before Memorial Day. Or, if you prefer, you can go to the Holy Name Alumni website, www.theholynamecadets.org, select "news" from the bar code menu, then select "archived articles - June 2009" from the pulldown menu.

There is also a full history of The Cadets from 1934 to present in the production stage which will be released for public sale shortly. It is a complete and factual history of the Cadets in book form.

However...they are hardly the only church that has the words "Holy Name" in it's title....I don't think it's like a copyright thing where the corps has to pay to use the name....in fact, originally the corps had the name because the church paid.

You'd be surprised how frequently public domain, standardized images, phrases, etc. are challenged legally by businesses and npos. Stupid, in my opinion, to try to find fault and trouble where there is none, by those that do.

I'm sure George contacted the church as to the nature of the (un?)official change of name of the corps this year. There was probably some form of contract describing the usage to be not a conflict and that Most Holy Name will relinquish the ability to use litigation against the copyright holdings of the church. Corps need to limit their liability from such things.

Please keep your name " The Holy Name Cadets "

Please on behalph of many of us fans..alumni..future members ....PLEASE :sleeping: consider

Great Name

Classy

Deep in Tradition

If Holy Name shall Always Be then let it Be :thumbup:

Why, they no longer are and if it wasn't gimmick for fan support I doubt he would have used it last season.

We could always call them the firehouse Cadets................ :shutup::worthy:

Personally I always like "The Cadets"... simple, short, and sweet.