Cadets ( Hopkins )

Th Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County from Allentown Pennsylvania sponsored by YEA

added to it...imagine Brandt trying to fit that in his preshow timed announcement

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually a tad surprised the Holy Name thing (including the song) has remained so powerful there considering how they were so unceremoniously dumped by the church back in the day. Including not allowing them to wear the classic Cadets uniforms for a year. I guess it's just a tradition thing, but I'm wondering if there was ever any movement amongst members or administrators to "retire" the song or formal associations with the HN Church in the years immediately following the separation.

I did find it interesting that it had become a yearly tradition for the Cadets to participate in the Garfield Memorial Day Parade each year, and every year when they passed the Holy Name Church, the corps stopped playing. I mentioned to a friend of mine on their staff one year when they did that about how cool I thought it was -- them paying respect to the HN church and all. He told me it was actually meant to be an insult, refusing to play a single note as they passed by because of how the church dumped them. How much actual truth there is to that, I don't know, but it sure is an interesting story.

I do not remember us stopping our playing at the church or even any discussions about the church when I marched (83-85). I do know that the church hosted a memorial Mass for departed members this last season as part of the Diamond anniversary events, and the parish was very welcoming. I believe that bad blood is long (as in decades) gone. It would be hard to hold a grudge THAT long!

I do not remember us stopping our playing at the church or even any discussions about the church when I marched (83-85). I do know that the church hosted a memorial Mass for departed members this last season as part of the Diamond anniversary events, and the parish was very welcoming. I believe that bad blood is long (as in decades) gone. It would be hard to hold a grudge THAT long!

I agree. I think that the Cadets and the Church buried the hatchet a long time ago.

Wow....hell of a way to open the letter..."Dear Former Holy Name Cadet"...nothing like being subtle about it.

And the "divine justice" line -- I understand it came from the church, but heavy handed much??

"Divine Justice":

I was wondering just "When" this letter would finally surface. I had seen a copy of it many years ago, and was curious to see if any more existed.

It seems that at least one copy still does.... :worthy:

Elphaba

I'm curious.

Does the church exist today? If so, were they informed that The Cadets were going to use their name in 09? And if so, did YEA donate any money to the church?

I would hope so.

So in 1958 the pastor of the Church writes (probably knowing how drum corps people could be back then) a stern letter demanding their property be returned. If Cadets were anything like some of the groups I marched with, they are lucky no one came to their door to pick everything up. To this day I have seen corps have difficulty getting back possession of their expensive property. By todays standards its no great shakes, by 1958's it was probably par for the course. Cool attempt to slime a Church 51 years later.

Wow....hell of a way to open the letter..."Dear Former Holy Name Cadet"...nothing like being subtle about it.

And the "divine justice" line -- I understand it came from the church, but heavy handed much??

It was 1958, and the Church was a bit heavy-handed back then (more so than now since their numbers have dwindled.)

This was after the corps went to compete at Nationals against the wishes of the pastor, who had other ideas about using the resources the corps was using. They went to compete using makeshift uniforms and borrowed equipment ... nothing that belonged to the church. When they arrived home, instead of a welcoming reception they got the boot.

Flash-forward.

Apparently the corps and alumni have buried the hatchet with the church, have had several events there and are planning an alumni event at Holy Name this September. Letting bygones be and all that ...