The $64,000 question

Gmen ..... because things aren't looking so hot at the moment .....

No website .. no announcements .. no changes in staff? ... steady as she goes.

I see Troop overtaking them next season.

Lets blame the Glassmen for the server crashing. And if you keep all the staff that made you improve this year that just means you are going to drop 3 places. It hasnt even been a month from finals and your already ripping them apart.

Troop going down

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gmen ..... because things aren't looking so hot at the moment .....

No website .. no announcements .. no changes in staff? ... steady as she goes.

I see Troop overtaking them next season.

Its very early.

Most corps do not make announcements this early.

You can't tell what other coep have up the sleeves yet.

Madison had to announce something .

bad design

bad character from the 2009 members

bad uniforms

bad $$$ problems.- -still might continue.

they needed a quick shot.

let the dust settle and by memorial day 2010 we will have a much clearer idea.

In these weeks after finals I've had many conversations with Troop members and alums in which I have said that there will be a big-a## target painted on our backs and that returning members are going to have to play an extremely tough game this coming season. It's true that Troop could stall, or with the same design team, caption head and expected vet retention and new talent influx they might just keep on movin' up. Gmen and BK could step up their own game, along with everyone else in the mid-tier. We could see very little movement, or it could be apple-cart turnover this coming season.

As a side note, I find it interesting that "competitive inertia" doesn't apply to a corps that has made three years of incredibly steady progress. :doh:

(But that's ok, really. Once a corps is in the top 12 game again, it's clearly difficult to keep the momentum going and climbing the placement ladder. It's a whole new ball game for Troop this coming year, so we'll see if they have the guns. At least the DM has his. :rolleyes: )

Edited to add: I don't think we should count any other of the 13-16th place corps out for next year either. It was a great competitive season this year and I'm betting on everyone in the semis tier gunning hard for changes in outcome for 2010.

Edited by TerriTroop

I will go out on a limb and say Blue Knights unless they do something about their guard, and fast. IMO, that was their weakest caption overall.

With the Scouts recent staff additions, the "competitive inertia" (to use a term coined by another DCP'er) seems to be that the Scouts will be a shoe-in for finals next season.

However, if the Scouts are in, that means someone else is out.

The $64,000 question is:

If the Scouts make finals in 2010, which finalist from this season gets ousted?

Phantom continues to free fall and ends up in 14th...

:rolleyes:

I completely agree having made no announcements several weeks after the season ended indicates they're struggling.

For real though probably blue knights or troopers.

Anyone else remember back in the day when you didn't even think about the next season until late November (after the Thanksgiving Day parades were over)?

Is it June yet?

Having been on tour this summer, I got to watch a whole lotta drum corps. My verdict: Troopers are in (and probably climbing a bit) for the next couple years at least. Blue Knights and Glassmen both need to re-invent themselves, imo. I think they both missed the Phantom '08 lesson on audience friendly shows (even Phantom 09 seemed to miss that one).

Sorry to break anyone's bubble, but a shiney new staff guarantees nothing. Scouts still have to compete and execute like everyone else, and there are a few corps who are currently in top 12 that will do everything in their power to keep them out of Sat night. Man, I've heard of pre season hype before, but saying in August that someone is a shoe in for finals the following year??? That takes the cake.

I have a hard time thinking that Blue Knights are going to fall this next season. I really enjoyed the visual / drill that Sully had them do. I think that there are great things in store for them visually if Sully stays on board. I found them to be very entertaining.

Sorry to break anyone's bubble, but a shiney new staff guarantees nothing. Scouts still have to compete and execute like everyone else, and there are a few corps who are currently in top 12 that will do everything in their power to keep them out of Sat night. Man, I've heard of pre season hype before, but saying in August that someone is a shoe in for finals the following year??? That takes the cake.

BozzlyB is correct. The overhype on our friends from Madison right now is beyond the pale. No doubt the dream team will improve the corps.....the question is how much and for how long. The other mitigating factor may be that unlike the glory days of Star and the open checkbook, the Scouts most likely have to live within a budget like the rest of DCI. These people chirping about top 5 are putting future Scouts members in a tough expectation game. I think they'll be good nbext summer, but I also think that there are 22 other WC corps that won't be caught sleeping.