2009 DCA Alumni Spectacular Show - Live Thread

Oh, boy, they've got the single valve French horns again. That's going to sound AWESOME.

Baritones too Kev.

And a baby '60's Getzen contra, just like the one I'm playing in the pool!!

Edited by Vanguard Rich

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be a typo! They have to play Cherry Pink!!

You had to be paying attention but they threw in a snippit of Cherry Pink. Probably not more than 2 measures but, it was there. :devil:

Soprano soloist goes stratospheric with an opening solo of Maria. The corps is now playing the Rumble from WSS.

Ahhh, love that snare drum sound. No kevlar will touch these drums. Ever.

Actually, Kevin, we ( Sky Alumni) ARE using Kevlar heads on the snares this year. We just spend some time tuning the drums properly so they don't sound like formica. No need for scoops either, IF you know how to tune them! They seem to carry the sound very well and yes, they DO sound like snare drums. We WANT them to be heard clearly and have no need to hide or muffle the sound.

Thanks very much for providing the live feed for all those who were unable to be there in person. Hopefully your reporting will convince more folks to make the trip next year. Wow, what a weekend for drum corps!

And thank you also to all our fans, both old and new.

Ray

Eddie would be Eddie Reese and the Land of Make Believe would be a reference to the members in MSJoes that were in Phoenix..which eerily enough is now playing on former MSJ Ron Allards diceman Radio on the net as I type.

That's it Mike, it's the Phoenix Color Guard who make the show every year. Gotta' love drum corps.

melligene said:

"You had to be paying attention but they threw in a snippit of Cherry Pink. Probably not more than 2 measures but, it was there."

Absolutely right, Gene! Larry worked in a brief 'Cherry Pink' melody line in the revised concertized ending for 'Perfidia' this year. Listen carefully, Nanci and you'll hear it on the recordings.

As has been stated before in this thread, we cannot play the 'Cherry Pink' encore due to time limits placed on us for the Alumni Spectacular by DCA. They are under a lot of pressure to clear the stadium as early as possible, (Something about a contest or a show Sunday evening??) and even threaten fining alumni corps who go overtime. We're on the edge time-wise, as it is already!

For the record, Frank Ponzo is taking some time off, and as Rich pointed out was in the stands cheering us on (miss you, Frank!) The great soloist you heard in 'Pictures of Spain' is Curt Hawkins, who had an outstanding day, IMO. The other featured soprano soloists throughout the show are George Headley, John 'Duke' Terreri, and Steve Raclowski. Also, Bill Gibbons has that great mellophone solo in 'I Go to Rio.'

A big Thank You to Kevin Gamin and his crew for once again providing the live thread. It made for fun reading today when I got home. Thanks also for the great picture of our snare line during our featured solo!

Oh, and Kevin G. said earlier:

"Looks like we're going to Rio. Strange (for me) to hear somebody besides Empire play this."

I know some people might associate this song with Empire, but with all due respects, like all of our Alumni Corps selections it was a Cabs number, played in 1983. I believe that's well before it was ever played by Empire. The 'Peanut Vendor' segment was not in the original 'Rio,' but of course that's a Cabs' song from 1958, and 1963.

Jimmy, you made me cry. Just at the end, but irregardless, as they say in Cudahy and South Milwaukee.

HCAC.

BMAC.

Happy Mahoosenfavre!

(Frank, hold on to yourn GT)