Which 2009 World Class Finalist will not repeat?

Geneva

I dont think there's too much of a positive buzz or "aura" about the corps right now. I agree with Tusayan that they're gonna need to stabalize and try and build something out of completely new and inexperienced rookies. I feel a top ten prediction... anything above 12 or 13 really, is something that is a bit far fetched.

Personally I'll wait to see exactly what kind of talent draw this staff will have, I think most potential rookies would rather go somewhere more local than fly from all over the country to a 15th place corps

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Also, I believe that some of the top tier Corps had quite a few age-outs this year. Depending on their retention rate that could mean nothing or it could mean everything. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Just a side note, because i've noticed the same thing and freaked out about all the age outs...then I realized that with 15 more people in all the top corps (which are older on average anyway), its natural that they have around 10 or so more ageouts every year. It used to be that losing 60 ageouts was a big deal....now its normal.

In my opinion, the top 15 are pretty close in talent. I think in the modern era of drum corps it is all about program and instruction.

Instruction and programming play an important role, no doubt, and bringing a well qualified staff on board can certainly have an immediate positve impact. But don't kid yourself. There is a significant difference in the talent level between the upper tier (top 4 - 5 or so) corps and the folks down in the 11 - 15 range.

peace,

Fred O.

I believe that 2010 will be a year of a lot of churning in the top 16. Troopers and Madison will make big pushes into the top 10 and Phantom, BK, and Glassmen may all fall out of the top 12. The top 3 will, as everyone with more than a few years watching drum corps, be BD, Crown and Cavies. The rest of the placements will be fluid. I also believe that there may be one or two extremely shocking folding of big corps because of the current (and continuing) financial crisis. The days where a corps like Troopers or Crossmen (in the day) can survive day-to-day on a hope and a prayer are done. There are just too many expenses in today's drum corps.

I think it's hilarious how this forum works. People pick and choose when things can work and won't work for a corps. Last year i remember posting on staff announcements for other corps and people would say "they are just a name." It doesn't help placement. Is Madison not subject for the same? Sure there is a great number of Scouts fans on this forum and in general, but let's get real. A staff isn't the be all end all. What if this dream staff puts out a show that looks like it's out of the 90s? We've seen with the 08 Colts how much that doesn't work. This thread is a joke.

I think it's hilarious how this forum works. People pick and choose when things can work and won't work for a corps. Last year i remember posting on staff announcements for other corps and people would say "they are just a name." It doesn't help placement. Is Madison not subject for the same? Sure there is a great number of Scouts fans on this forum and in general, but let's get real. A staff isn't the be all end all. What if this dream staff puts out a show that looks like it's out of the 90s? We've seen with the 08 Colts how much that doesn't work. This thread is a joke.

THANK YOU someone finally said it !!!! Also . talented people? YES....attract maybe better performers...ok maybe....But how many of us have had all the right formula and it didnt work as we thought it would. NOW 1 more thing, and here we go with the flame thrower..theres always this high and mighty talk about Star....Yes I loved them also BUT its not like they won several championships in a row and its not like we all liked them either....gezzzzzzzzzz it was like the last poster said back in the 90s I know i dont want to see some of their productions from back then again.

Dont get me wrong I would love to see Scouts succeed.

I believe that 2010 will be a year of a lot of churning in the top 16. Troopers and Madison will make big pushes into the top 10 and Phantom, BK, and Glassmen may all fall out of the top 12. The top 3 will, as everyone with more than a few years watching drum corps, be BD, Crown and Cavies. The rest of the placements will be fluid. I also believe that there may be one or two extremely shocking folding of big corps because of the current (and continuing) financial crisis. The days where a corps like Troopers or Crossmen (in the day) can survive day-to-day on a hope and a prayer are done. There are just too many expenses in today's drum corps.

Seriously??

Ok. I'll say it. I am really happy for the Troopers, making finals was a great thing for them...however, IMO, they shouldn't have made it in. I thought that the Colts were way better, but at any rate, neither corps are a top 10 corps. Glassmen have a good finals track record (I believe 15 times, correct me if I'm wrong). I'll give you BK just to be nice, but they've also been in finals pretty consistently. Phantom Regiment's finals record is bested by only one other corps - SCV - and although not guaranteed (just like Madison making finals), with the addition of Myron Rosander, they'll quickly re-establish themselves as a top tier corps.

I'm happy that Madison has addressed its recent issues, but building back up takes time. Those who honestly think that people will be choosing the Madison Scouts in 2010 over corps that have made finals in the last 4 years are seriously out of touch with DCI and its members. Yes, Madison will have a full corps and they will be better than last year, but it is September. Names on a page don't mean a thing until there's a band on grass in May. This forum really is hilarious.

Of course it is.

No need to even read the rest of the OP or any of the thread.

Only for those who lack the capacity to conduct mature discussion. Forums are all about opinion and objective give and take, which we have enjoyed a lot of here.

Instruction and programming play an important role, no doubt, and bringing a well qualified staff on board can certainly have an immediate positve impact. But don't kid yourself. There is a significant difference in the talent level between the upper tier (top 4 - 5 or so) corps and the folks down in the 11 - 15 range.

peace,

Fred O.

Maybe , Fred. This past season I was able to take a close look at horn rehearsals of two horn lines in the top ten (one in the upper tier and one in the lower tier) and I didn't notice a big difference in playing competence. What I did perceive was a difference in the sophistication and originality of the programs. Now I did not have the same opportunity with an 11-15 range corps, so maybe. What I appreciated from Madison last year was solid playing, but a program which didn't really work. That is why, in their case, I believe staff and programming changes may reap some placement benefits sufficient to boost them several places.