Madisons Staff...

If Jim Mason could take Star to 10th place their very first year, during an era which drum corps was much more competitive, then how can people be so quick to dispell him?

I haven't gotten the impression that people are discounting him; rather, the underlying assumption seems to be that this era is much more competitive.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned in the opening post, it will take a least a year to see what impact this staff will have on drawing talent. By year two we will know.

I'm looking forward to seeing Madison back up where they belong.

And as I've already posted......you don't have to wait until 2011 to get your answer. Jim Mason and Crew have already had a very positive effect upon drawing talent to the Scouts.

*****Since the announcements of Jim Mason and subsequent staff, the Madison Scouts are enjoying historical retention rates! AND, as it has already been reported, there are some individuals who had been planning on auditioning elsewhere for 2010 that have now decided to audition with the Scouts.*****

I guess you need to ask yourself......Is this by accident?........Or, is there something else at work here? (Hint, Scouts are in the infancy of something great!.....Time to get on board!)

My hopes and to a certain extent expectations for Madison are not that they just get better and finish top 12 again. I think bringing on Mason and all the folks with Star and Blast! ties means that like those organizations they are bent on bringing something new and maybe revolutionary to the activity. This is nothing if not a very bold stroke by Komnick and the MDBCA. Theres no guarantee that they will be successful but they have definitely rolled the dice on this. And as such they are facing an entrenched power structure in DCI primarily concerned with protecting their own gigs by being the people who decide what direction the activity will take. This is not a Salas/Cesario appeasement move (and I mean no disrespect to those two) this I think is going to be a game changer, not unlike Bridgemen and Star of Indiana were. This will not be your fathers Madison Scouts.

The scary thing about gamechangers is that while they blaze the trails, they dont always reap the benefits of it.

Besides all the staff annoucements - Madison has the coolest corps jackets. You know that those jackets alone will bring in a lot of hungry new recruits with a huge amount of talent.

If Jim Mason could take Star to 10th place their very first year, during an era which drum corps was much more competitive, then how can people be so quick to dispell him?

I know one thing. Next year will be the season most talked about in a long, LONG time. I think George Hopkins will finally lose his top spot as being the most talked about person in drum corps next year. :tongue:

I have a ton of questions for the Scouts and I will wait to see them answered when they perform, for one. But, there are so many tangents from the obvious that will need to be answered, as well.

It's sure brought about some much needed fresh excitement into the activity. I am looking forward to next summer! :tongue:

The differences behind Star's entrance into DCI with Mason's backing, and Mason becoming involved with Madison are significant to the point of being incomparable. Personally I disagree with your statement of that era of drum corps being more compettitive. Frankly I think the reason Star made it into top 12 their first year was because of a LACK of compettition in the low end of top 12, and a huge drop off in compettitiveness in the Semi's range. The battle for finals these days is MUCH more compettitive than it was back then.

At this point, I think Madison could place anywhere from 9th to 14th next year, give or take 8 places. :tongue:

Edited by BozzlyB

The differences behind Star's entrance into DCI with Mason's backing, and Mason becoming involved with Madison are significant to the point of being incomparable. Personally I disagree with your statement of that era of drum corps being more compettitive. Frankly I think the reason Star made it into top 12 their first year was because of a LACK of compettition in the low end of top 12, and a huge drop off in compettitiveness in the Semi's range. The battle for finals these days is MUCH more compettitive than it was back then.

At this point, I think Madison could place anywhere from 9th to 14th next year, give or take 8 places. :tongue:

that and the cash backing of the cook group !!

And as I've already posted......you don't have to wait until 2011 to get your answer. Jim Mason and Crew have already had a very positive effect upon drawing talent to the Scouts.

*****Since the announcements of Jim Mason and subsequent staff, the Madison Scouts are enjoying historical retention rates! AND, as it has already been reported, there are some individuals who had been planning on auditioning elsewhere for 2010 that have now decided to audition with the Scouts.*****

I guess you need to ask yourself......Is this by accident?........Or, is there something else at work here? (Hint, Scouts are in the infancy of something great!.....Time to get on board!)

Mad I started the topic knowing Madison would see huge benefits from the announcement so this is no surprise. Getting back to the competitice elite will take more than a year.

Mad I started the topic knowing Madison would see huge benefits from the announcement so this is no surprise. Getting back to the competitice elite will take more than a year.

It could take awhile to get back in, but they squeeked back into the top 12 in 2008

after having finished 15th in 2007...and with a product that was decent...I think

in 2010, they could have a product that is incredible.

Probably because those who were there know just how little he had to do with Star's success, particularly in the early years. The corps was run quite ably by far more experienced and talented people on the administrative side, staff side, and support side. The first year corps also had veteran marching members at every key position. The revisionist historians trying to paint Mason as a great leader and visionary who was personally responsible for dragging Star into 10th place in 1985 have it completely and utterly wrong.