Madisons Staff...

'

In the words about two dozen people who responded to my post last year about staff...... "Staff are nothing but names."

"Nothing But Names"?......That's right, who needs instruction, teachers or leaders of any kind, the heck with them!......Lets run them out of town on their back side! Ever heard of "Lord of the Flies"? Unfortunately, this is just another sad barometer of where we are as a Nation. Very few today are capable of contributing anything of substance in the realm of critical thought on the most basic level. These individuals have absolutely no depth or breadth regarding points of reference or standards in which to draw a cogent response or decision. The rules of logic and Greek methods of reason are completely dead. Follow the bouncing ball people, cause and effect, cause and effect. No, today many are comfortably ignorant.....very bliss indeed!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words about two dozen people who responded to my post last year about staff...... "Staff are nothing but names."

I would tend to agree with this. Madison's competitive issues over the past 4 years have not been due to lack of big name on staff. Rosander and Barrera both have stellar drum corps resumes but did not find much success at Madison. Why? I won't even try to speculate, but I think distance may have been a factor. Distance will not be a factor with Mason and crew.

I would tend to agree with this. Madison's competitive issues over the past 4 years have not been due to lack of big name on staff. Rosander and Barrera both have stellar drum corps resumes but did not find much success at Madison. Why? I won't even try to speculate, but I think distance may have been a factor. Distance will not be a factor with Mason and crew.

Sure, but I think there's a significant difference between "one stellar name" and "half a dozen stellar names."

Sure, but I think there's a significant difference between "one stellar name" and "half a dozen stellar names."

Definitely.

But I think it should also be said that:

1) Most of those staffers are also involved staffers at other corps (DVD at Blue Stars & Crown, John Vanderkolff as program coordinator at SCV, etc). A lot of these staffers are working on high quality products with other World Class corps and will not be working exclusively with Madison

2) Back in the late 80's, when there were more corps, the big name staffs, I think, were a slightly bigger deal because fewer corps had big name staffs. Now, there are less corps AND MANY big names at World Class corps. It's extremely hard for a corps to be a serious finalist contender now-a-days without the help of the big names that have brought other corps to success. Look at the staff list for Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, SCV, Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Troopers, etc: ALL very accomplished staffs working either full time or part time with the corps.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on Scouts' parade and I'm just as excited as most of you. But wait I would hate to see most is for everyone to over hype Scouts, see Scouts 'ONLY' make 13th, 12th, or 11th or something, and after 12 months of uber hype have fans disappointed and let down. I think Madison's improvement (and they WILL improve, I think there is little doubt of that), though, will take two years and not be immediate. Just my feelings, and perhaps I'm wrong (we'll find out next summer).

If Jim Mason could take Star to 10th place their very first year, during an era which drum corps was much more competitive, then how can people be so quick to dispell him?

I know one thing. Next year will be the season most talked about in a long, LONG time. I think George Hopkins will finally lose his top spot as being the most talked about person in drum corps next year. :tongue:

I have a ton of questions for the Scouts and I will wait to see them answered when they perform, for one. But, there are so many tangents from the obvious that will need to be answered, as well.

It's sure brought about some much needed fresh excitement into the activity. I am looking forward to next summer! :tongue:

Definitely.

But I think it should also be said that:

1) Most of those staffers are also involved staffers at other corps (DVD at Blue Stars & Crown, John Vanderkolff as program coordinator at SCV, etc). A lot of these staffers are working on high quality products with other World Class corps and will not be working exclusively with Madison

2) Back in the late 80's, when there were more corps, the big name staffs, I think, were a slightly bigger deal because fewer corps had big name staffs. Now, there are less corps AND MANY big names at World Class corps. It's extremely hard for a corps to be a serious finalist contender now-a-days without the help of the big names that have brought other corps to success. Look at the staff list for Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, SCV, Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Troopers, etc: ALL very accomplished staffs working either full time or part time with the corps.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on Scouts' parade and I'm just as excited as most of you. But wait I would hate to see most is for everyone to over hype Scouts, see Scouts 'ONLY' make 13th, 12th, or 11th or something, and after 12 months of uber hype have fans disappointed and let down. I think Madison's improvement (and they WILL improve, I think there is little doubt of that), though, will take two years and not be immediate. Just my feelings, and perhaps I'm wrong (we'll find out next summer).

I think the hype is not much at all to do with placement. I think for now, the placement next year is secondary. Right now, it has to be all about style. That is what has been lacking from the Scouts and many of other corps here for quite a few years now. Will it really make a huge difference if they place 8th or 12th next year? I do agree that next year is going to be about getting back to "Baseline Madison," and then take it from there. I don't expect to see a 1991 or 1993 star show from them, in terms of demand, at this point.

[/

I've been heavily involved in the activity for nearly 35 years. I can say that in that time I have not once seen where this level and quantity of new staff hires happened all at once. This is not one or two quality people here, but a ton. Someone mentioned about some doing multiple corps....yes, Donnie is at both Crown and Blue Stars....I think both did rather well. I do not know that Mr. Prime is writing for any other corps other than Madison at this time, and frankly, it wouldn't matter. I would say chances are quite good that they will have some wonderful arrangements to play, and they will PLAY. I don't think they will have any weaknesses in the product in any area. Not to diss on the people they did have, but the show content itself was just "ok" 2 years ago, and subpar last year. I don't think that is an issue any more, and I would find it difficult to believe that this staff isn't going to attract some serious talent.

If this staff hangs in for 2 or 3 years or more, look out. If the corps doesn't make HUGE strides, even next year, then they must be the victim of some kind of jinx, as I can't conceive this staff giving them anything short of a great show to perform and quality instruction to help the members deliver it.

GB

not sure if this comment is serious or not, but if so, it'd probably be about the most ridiculous statement ever made on here. :tongue:

That's what I thought when people said that last year. I guess Madison is an exception.