Madisons Staff...

(1) I think that those who say that Madison's new staff will only make minor or no impact on their recruiting and progress

really do not know these people.......not only will these guys make a dent their 1st year, but the corps will turn heads

and a single digit finish is likely. After that, look out. These guys could put a corps of 15 year olds in finals.....

(2) I think it will have a small impact on Cavies this year, but a big one within the next 3. Cavies are on a downswing...

4th last year and should have been 5th or lower........and others in the midwest (Phantom, Madison, and yes, Blue Stars)

have made impact moves, with Madison's being the largest. Phantom will immediately jump back into title contention

with Rosander's drill, as they have 1st rate brass/percussion programs intact as well, and Blue Stars now have

Aungst and Larivee fully in charge of percussion along with a solid staff, so they have potential.

I know there are those who disagree, but that's fine......we will see what happens one way or the other next summer,

and I can say that I have never seen a corps make the level/quantity of major staff acquisitions that Madison has done

after a down season.

GB

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(1) I think that those who say that Madison's new staff will only make minor or no impact on their recruiting and progress

really do not know these people.......not only will these guys make a dent their 1st year, but the corps will turn heads

and a single digit finish is likely. After that, look out. These guys could put a corps of 15 year olds in finals.....

(2) I think it will have a small impact on Cavies this year, but a big one within the next 3. Cavies are on a downswing...

4th last year and should have been 5th or lower........and others in the midwest (Phantom, Madison, and yes, Blue Stars)

have made impact moves, with Madison's being the largest. Phantom will immediately jump back into title contention

with Rosander's drill, as they have 1st rate brass/percussion programs intact as well, and Blue Stars now have

Aungst and Larivee fully in charge of percussion along with a solid staff, so they have potential.

I know there are those who disagree, but that's fine......we will see what happens one way or the other next summer,

and I can say that I have never seen a corps make the level/quantity of major staff acquisitions that Madison has done

after a down season.

GB

Rosander was at Madison and his presence didnt make them a contender.

You are correct......I think that may have been a case where he wasn't a good

fit for the Madison corps/style, and I understand that there was staff friction as well....

I remember seeing them, and I think he went over the edge, too, as the drill was

very difficult and also didn't mesh with the musical performance.....it would be like

going to the Blue Devils and having them attempt to play an all Dvorak show with a

veteran corps.....a huge style change that wouldn't work for them....

However, the guy did do some great work with SCV, and also is now

"older and wiser".......I think it will work (although, I would agree certainly not a

guarantee)......time will tell....

GB

I wish people would wait until all the corps make their staff announcements before posting these opinion threads.

True, but the year he wrote their drill Scouts did not have the same caliber of brass and percussion that Phantom has typically had the past several years.

That being said, a great drill writer does not equal a huge upswing in scores; Phantom still needs to have a high caliber visual staff, and that remains to be proven.

I wish people would wait until all the corps make their staff announcements before posting these opinion threads.

Meh: such is the offseason.

**Next we'll hear about Madison (and every other corps) has the highest talent level ever at auditions, as well as thousands of principal symphony member-talent people auditioning. Then, we'll hear about Madison (and every corps) being so far ahead that they've learned a full show by March, rewrote any problem areas, and is poised to have their best season ever. In the spring we might hear about holes that still need to be filled, but those are obviously due to the fact that the show is so incredible (and difficult: remember, the key is the harder the show the more championship potential) that people hurt themselves in spring training: it has NOTHING to do with not having enough people to march a full corps.

And then, of course, once the season starts to unfold next summer, it will be all about either: 1)"we told you so; Madison IS the real deal, or 2)"the judges are ripping them off because Madison hasn't paid their dues yet and/or don't get the show concept/difficulty level/corps above them are obviously marching easier shows and should not get the credit Madison is lacking." Or maybe we'll hear a bout of "the staff didn't design their show for the caliber of membership they had, and overestimated their abilities" with a "just wait until next year when they build on this 13th place finish into a Top 3 show!" thrown in for good measure.

:tongue:

** ALL in good fun; I wish Scouts nothing bet the best of luck next year and would love nothing more than to make a HUGE improvement and stir it up at Finals

I don't expect a significant impact for...a very long time, if ever. Sorry I love Madison and I'm excited for them, and plan to audition there this year, but most of the people I know who know about drum corps have no idea about Madison's staff changes nor really care. I hope I'm wrong but I REALLY doubt that Madison would be stealing the Cavies' talent.
If what you say is true then these kids that you talk about so amourously have got to be pretty dense I'll tell you what do your homework on

Madison's staff check out each and everyones credentials and I'll think that you'll be surprised and if your not then don't waste your or thier time by auditioning . If I were a young man again and had the chance that you do right now I would do anything to march with Madison I gaurantee these guy's will make the top 12 and yes I know that I'm sticking my neck out by saying this and I don't really care what anybody thinks and thats ok I still think you will be happy if you do tryout for Madison and make it . May I ask what you will be trying out for ?

While Phantom's '09 showing was not nearly as successful as the '08 showing, I don't believe that too many people will be running from the #8 finisher

to the #14 just because of staff changes.

...also they wouldn't necessarily be running from the 4th place corps to the 14th place corps either...

If what you say is true then these kids that you talk about so amourously have got to be pretty dense I'll tell you what do your homework on

Madison's staff check out each and everyones credentials and I'll think that you'll be surprised and if your not then don't waste your or thier time by auditioning . If I were a young man again and had the chance that you do right now I would do anything to march with Madison I gaurantee these guy's will make the top 12 and yes I know that I'm sticking my neck out by saying this and I don't really care what anybody thinks and thats ok I still think you will be happy if you do tryout for Madison and make it . May I ask what you will be trying out for ?

Just sent you a PM.

For all the naysayers and narrow sighted!

Here’s how Madison's historic staff changes will impact the Scouts and the drum corps community at large:

#1. Madison’s new legendary staff has already and will continue to have a dramatic, positive effect upon retention. Life is a lot easier when you don’t have to constantly reload! Keeping what you have along with additional highly competitive auditions is a beautiful thing.

#2. It doesn't matter in the least that today's prospective members weren't born when these Hall of Fame Instructors were working their magic. Today's drum corps is a completely different endeavor with many of these young men embarking upon music, performance and dance majors. For most, they’re very serious and discriminating individuals that usually have only several seasons to accomplish they’re drum corps dreams. Most of the young men choosing to come to Madison (or elsewhere) have done their home work…..they can’t afford otherwise. So, when it comes down to needing to know who's who regarding top flight instruction and their pedigrees, these young men are on top of it! They’re not in the dark “or couldn’t care less” as some here have suggested. Those auditioning for the first time with the Scouts along with returning members will be looking forward to the challenge of superior instruction……And they won’t be disappointed for they’ll be under the tutelage of drum corps legends. Furthermore, these young men will be signing on for that “unique” Madison experience which is second to none.....Those Scout values that will successfully effect and guide them for the rest of their life's.

#3. These young men respect and seek the guidance and input of their peers along with former and current Instructors, Band Directors, Teachers and Professors. The Madison Scouts now have some of the “Best of the Best” Teachers and Writers to have ever worked with drum corps, high school band, college and university programs along with a whole host of other musical and visual arts idioms. Not to forget Blast! and every other production that Jim Mason and his Mason Entertainment Group have successfully produced! This extraordinary group of professionals reads like a “Who’s Who” wish list of top musical and visual instructors that have simply "rocked" the performance world in their areas of expertise. Don’t you think it’s a safe bet that more than a few of these young men are being influenced by their current professor or band director that knows all about Madison’s legendary staff status? I think that a number of these young men are being told, “I wouldn’t just causally consider Madison, No……I’d be running to the Madison Scouts and I’d be doing whatever I could to secure a position as a Scout ASAP”!

#4. Here’s the other reason why it’s not important when these current young men were born……They’ve got drum corps parents who know all too well about the amazing accomplishments of Madison’s legendary staff. Do you think these parents will have any influence in the matter?……I think so!

I believe the Scouts will do just fine in recruiting for 2010.

If the Scouts have a successful 2010, look for their recruiting to grow exponentially in 2011.

Madison Scouts staff=recruiting WINNER!!!!

Edited by Mad75