DCA Championship Bids

And talk about great views.

Unfortunately, the pressbox and home seating is on the West side of the stadium. So are all the Rockies. Therefore the view facing East is nothing but 1000 miles of cornfields.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the pressbox and home seating is on the West side of the stadium. So are all the Rockies. Therefore the view facing East is nothing but 1000 miles of cornfields.

I could go for the visitor side....good enough sightlines, for sure...

I know this will not be the Most popular Idea .

But I wouldn't mind Seeing Hopkins/YEA/USSBA put in a bid to Put Finals in Allentown again. They have the Experience to run Great HUGE shows there. USSBA finals there every year are very well run.. Plenty of space for corps parking and warmups. Plenty of Hotels. Cheap Flights into about 10 airports within 2 Hours (allentown, Philly, Scranton, Newark, Harrisburg, Westchester, LGA, Stewart... etc..) a great Theme park/Waterpark for people to make a full weekend out of it.

even if its not YEA I hope someone takes the lead and looks into Allentown again .. I love that stadium (especially now that the upper sections are open again)

Anybody up for Hershey? Or is there still too much past drama involved there?

Jeff brings up some really great points and is a superb example why we all need to work on putting together a BIG regional outside of the NE. Illinois, Indiana or Ohio would be a great place to start since we know it is a drum corps friendly region and allow us to dip our collective toes into the water to see if DCA can attract larger audiences outside of the NE. If the turnout is good then DCA Championships can then be realistically considered to be held elsewhere. Might even hold multiple regionals for a couple years first to make sure a single trial year isn't a fluke.

a very good comment and suggestion!

I like a lot of stadiums being posted here, but if we look at it realistically, do we really need to go into a stadium that seats 10 or 12 thousand on the front side? From a performer perspective, I could see going into a huge stadium and eventhough there may be as many people as at Paetec Park (or whatever it is now) I would feel like there weren't as many people in there.

This is hard to really know without having realistic attendance numbers for championships. Someone earlier in this thread said possibly 4-5 thousand. If that is true, was there ever consideration give to Fauver Stadium on the University of Rochester campus? I can't tell from photos if it is seats or benches, but the front side seating holds 5200.

I know paetec has had more than 5k. with the economy this year, i can understand if attendance may be down. Scranton was about 6k concert side, and Paetec holds more than that

Jeff brings up some really great points and is a superb example why we all need to work on putting together a BIG regional outside of the NE. Illinois, Indiana or Ohio would be a great place to start since we know it is a drum corps friendly region and allow us to dip our collective toes into the water to see if DCA can attract larger audiences outside of the NE. If the turnout is good then DCA Championships can then be realistically considered to be held elsewhere. Might even hold multiple regionals for a couple years first to make sure a single trial year isn't a fluke.

I think a year or two of big regionals is absolutely the way to go.

I know this will not be the Most popular Idea .

But I wouldn't mind Seeing Hopkins/YEA/USSBA put in a bid to Put Finals in Allentown again. They have the Experience to run Great HUGE shows there. USSBA finals there every year are very well run.. Plenty of space for corps parking and warmups. Plenty of Hotels. Cheap Flights into about 10 airports within 2 Hours (allentown, Philly, Scranton, Newark, Harrisburg, Westchester, LGA, Stewart... etc..) a great Theme park/Waterpark for people to make a full weekend out of it.

even if its not YEA I hope someone takes the lead and looks into Allentown again .. I love that stadium (especially now that the upper sections are open again)

problem with Allentown is the Fair is going at the same time. Which means that hotel availability is not good, and parking at the stadium is not nearly as user friendly as it used to be.

Anybody up for Hershey? Or is there still too much past drama involved there?

I would think it'd be a good idea given the many new hotels not that far from the venue. My one concern, other than past drama and feelings of those involved on the DCa Board is where to do I&E. You arent getting into HersheyPark without paying their outrageous admission, and neither arena is accoustic friendly for that kind of thing and is horribly expensive. Plus...you have the Park still open which means parking could see people stuck all the way out by the Giant Center

I think Madison should at least be a big regional. There's a healthy drumcorps legacy out yonder.

I don't think that Chicago would work. Traffic alone could keep corps and audience from making it to the event on the same day. Although the airport and hotel side should be covered.

Ohio, wouldn't be my first choice. Bear in mind that Columbus Ohio has more rain days than Seattle. And there's that ohio valley thing for those with alergies to love and adore.

Nashville could work, about as central to most as it gets IMO. But there's probably not enough drumcorps legacy there to fill a stadium.

Boulder would be nice. A nice little college party town. Just over an hour out of Denver. Suitable venues without the big grind of a large metropolis. And tons of vacation / tourist type attractions in proximity. Maybe not ideal, for those with questionable equipment trucks due to the mountains. But a nice place to visit.

I'd hate to suggest it, but maybe the same venue as DCI? It's not as busy a place as some and still tourist available. Airport, hotel, and the likes are available. Not much of a vacation place, but drivable to Chicago and Louisville (baseball bat museum and corvettes). And perhaps some bleed over from the DCI event a few weeks earlier. While many stadiums are the slums of the hosting cities. Not all are.

Canada being to far for the southern folk? 20 hour bus ride? I've yet to go to DCA on anything less than a 30 hour trip. Well maybe 27 depending on how off the speedometer is. Canada is more like 25 hours. Could be less if Illinois wasn't 65mph for 400miles of that trip.