DCA Championship Bids

Then don't read this thread or contribute..again I guess we won't see another post on this thread from you..because it is worthless!!! so there you go!!!

:tongue::lle::lle::lle:

Fran

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well-said, Ron.

DCA and the all-age activity....especially on championship weekend, when the corps are at their very best... is a unique form of entertainment, for anyone to enjoy.

In the past, two regular-season shows come to mind..... the Barnum Festival and the Cumberland, MD, show..... as examples of shows that were successfully promoted as a "family event" ... something really cool for local people to do on a Saturday evening. Both shows drew their share of veteran drum corps fans... but also drew a lot of "just folks" from the local/regional area.

Fran

That's a great example as well, Fran. I believe in the inherent entertainment value of DCA. And DCA can use this to successfully market itself as a great event that any city would be happy to host, whether it's in the "traditional heart" of DCA territory or in Fumbuck, Arkansas. (Okay, that might be a stretch, :tongue: but you know what I mean!)

As long as DCA Finals can get 4,000+ fans, plus account for extra travel expenses (yes, no mean feat there of course!), you'll have the beginnings of a national trend towards recognition of the All-Age Drum Corps activity as a legitimate template for locally-based musical-arts organizations.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a pie-in-the-sky optimist.

I just believe that DCA corps need to recognize the fact that their own achievements can serve as a tremendous inspiration to organizations throughout the country. I mean, crikey! How many cities the size of Reading, PA can lay claim to an astonishingly good musical organization as the Bucs??? Or Seymour, Connecticut? Or Syracuse, NY?

DCA corps have achieved something unique and valuable in this country. To "hide their light under a bushel" (to borrow a phrase) is a shame. It's time for ALL DCA corps to recognize their own achievements and share them with other organizations across the US who desperately look for ways in which to create valuable experiences for their members.

Nice sentiment but a lot of wasted typing. I agree with what a previous poster said and that this thread is worthless.

And what if Darkman and 6 others thought trying to put together a Sr corps in California was a worthless endeavor??

Many, many DCA fans might feel that the DCA Championships can only succeed in an area "proven to support" the All-Age corps activity. But I think you might be selling the activity short.

What DCA has to offer audiences is a fabulously entertaining weekend of musical activity. I really think DCA can succeed in many metro areas given the right marketing strategy and right combination of local support and fundraising. (This implies that DCA Championships should have a member corps as the local contact only because of the logistics involved.)

Many people think that DCA only appeals to people who already have some sort of history with drum corps or who have actually seen a show. However I don't think this is a course of thinking that will grow the activity.

Here's an example:

The city of Minneapolis actually made a bid for DCA a year or two ago - without the knowledge or backing of Minnesota Brass Inc., Chops Inc. or the Govenaires. Minneapolis thought DCA was worth going after, even though the city didn't know a major finalist was based in the Twin Cities. (Had the 3 local corps been involved, the process might have turned out differently.) The point is that a metropolitan area of 3.5 million people was willing to go after DCA simply because they believed it was a worthy event.

The venue was going to be the new TCF Bank Stadium (pic below), which I think is a terrific new stadium. Had the City teamed up with the three local corps, I believe the proposal would have been a success. For example, in terms of running drum corps shows, Minnesota Brass has consistently filled 4,000+ seats for Drum Beauty and, with the added help of Chops and Govenaires, has the wherewithal to promote a successful DCA Championships in a metro area renowned for their commitment to the arts.

DCA needs to get over the idea that drum corps is an activity that only appeals to participants and their families and friends. For DCA to grow, it really, really needs to re-think itself and accept the fact that the Championships - as a wonderful weekend of music - can appeal to anyone, whether they are familiar or not with drum corps.

TCF Bank Stadium:

umstadiumpan03fz0.jpg w900.png

question...how could a city not know it had a finalist right there inside it's borders???????

as for Drum Beauty....would that DCI crowd carry over for DCA?

Nice sentiment but a lot of wasted typing. I agree with what a previous poster said and that this thread is worthless.

and comments like this only hurt the chances of this happening outside the NE.

And having traveled to Minnesota to perform and compete in MN the last 5 years, the crowds in MN are amazing. The hospitality of the locals is a real draw as well. Flights in an out of Minneapolis are plentiful and the city has plenty of places to stay hotel wise and things to do.

And that new stadium sure looks amazing. I know DCA is not quite ready to make this leap - but Minneapolis would be a wonderful location for the weekend events. I'd certainly enjoy that trip.

question...how could a city not know it had a finalist right there inside it's borders???????

That is a bit of a surprise, especially because MBI was featured in a Local Interest segment on one of the major TV news networks not too long ago (2004, the Moondancing year). But, it comes down to marketing and that takes a budget. And these days, the corps have all they can handle just meeting the operating budgets. Increased marketing and public awareness would go a long way toward expanding the fan and membership base.

I'm such an idiot, I lived in the Twin Cities for about 20 years before I sort of fell upon MBI. I wanted to do something for my 50th birthday so I did some searching on the internet. At the time, all I envisioned was marching in a few parades....3 marching seasons and 2 Mini-Corp seasons later and look what has happened! How many more closet participants and fans are out there that just need to be reached with some effective marketing?

I understand Jeff's point about not expanding too quickly and it would be great to get more regional shows going to build market awareness, but you have to have a good product to sell and that requires filling the local corps with a strong membership base and bringing in top corps from other regions. It will be difficult for MBI, Kilties, Chops and Govenaires to build the market by ourselves.

I feel confident it would.

Wow ~ an incredibly informative post showing that people and groups are doing things, instead of sitting behind a computer and solely #####ing about them and EVEN THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR SOME PEOPLE! :tongue:

I've said it before and I'll say it again ~ Sometimes I'm completely amazed that will all the negativity that surrounds this activity we even get out on the field to perform. If it all sucks so #### much why do we even bother???

Disclaimer ~ the above isn't aimed at everyone or EVERYONE. Just those that contribute to the problem and refuse to be part of the solution.

Wow ~ an incredibly informative post showing that people and groups are doing things, instead of sitting behind a computer and solely #####ing about them and EVEN THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR SOME PEOPLE! :tongue:

I've said it before and I'll say it again ~ Sometimes I'm completely amazed that will all the negativity that surrounds this activity we even get out on the field to perform. If it all sucks so #### much why do we even bother???

Disclaimer ~ the above isn't aimed at everyone or EVERYONE. Just those that contribute to the problem and refuse to be part of the solution.

Don't hold back Liz tell us how you really feel...LOL