Cadets 2010 Show

corpsreps.com indicates that the Holy Name Cadets were the first to do a part of Hanson's Merry Mount in 1972. Also, Boston did "Children's Dance" from the suite in 1996. SCV Cadets' 1999 show was based on the suite ... I can't recall their 1999 show - anyone?

Cadets did a short bit of "Children's Dance" in 72...part of our "No More War" show.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Hoppy's blog....

Merry Mount Suite - Opus 31 ; Howard Hanson

10/20/09 12:52 pm

Well, we will have more announcements forthcoming but, the centerpiece of the Cadets 2010 production does appear to be the classic my Howard Hanson, " the Merry Mount Suite"

That he lived in the twentieth century not withstanding, Howard Hanson was a Romantic of the purest sort. He stated that music should be "a manifestation of the emotions," and his works glow from within with passion. His most ambitious work was his opera, Merry Mount. Based upon a Nathaniel Hawthorne short story, it is a tale of tragic love set in Puritan New England in which a pastor becomes obsessed with a visiting woman and subsequently runs amok. The opera was first performed in 1934 to thunderous success at no less venue than the Metropolitan Opera in New York. The suite, crafted by Hanson four years later, is a set of four short pieces, all brilliantly evocative and characteristically intense. The opera's overture, a brief "Children's Dance," a mournful "Love Duet," and finally a rousing Prelude to Act II and "Maypole Dances" comprise the 16-minute suite. ~ All Music Guide

And if you want information on the OPERA ...

http://www.usopera.com/operas/merrymount.html

So, enjoy. I am sure you will wonder what movements .... ??? I bet you will all figure it out after a listen or two!

Oh, and in case you are wondering, we are not telling the story of the opera but rather our own story, our own world, and our own program.

And yes, this original source material makes for some interesting challenges!!!

Go to www.cadets.org for up to date info on the Cadets

Sounds like it could be an interesting show. I'll feel better after I hear their arrangements.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Well, we will have more announcements forthcoming but, the centerpiece of the Cadets 2010 production does appear to be the classic my Howard Hanson, " the Merry Mount Suite"

I don't know this piece at all. Anybody here played it? Think it has Cadets potential? Sounds promising in text.

Nope, but then I'm not the one that was implying that the Cadets would have to refrain from using any piano vocals or electronics to be a crowd favorite next year despite the fact that they used all three of those this year and were a crowd favorite.

Good show, would have, IMO, much better w/o the dog and pony show (e.g. piano, vocals [amplified] and electronics

Good show, would have, IMO, much better w/o the dog and pony show (e.g. piano, vocals [amplified] and electronics

As well as the rest of the 'dog and pony show' like snares, tenors, trumpets, tubas, etc....

...may as welll remove the guard too.

I don't know this piece at all. Anybody here played it? Think it has Cadets potential? Sounds promising in text.

I played it in my college concert band last semester. Really really cool music. The overture is epic and I actually thought of the Cadets when we read it the first time. This is great source music and for the most part I like the way Bocook arranges, I'm excited to hear this once camps come around. Hopefully they keep us updated throughout the winter with little clips from camp weekends like they have been doing in recent years.