The BD equipment thread

You forgot the fifth, and most important question. Could Kanstul make the new brass affordable? Their current lineup certainly isn't, when compared to Yamaha, Dynasty, King and Jupiter.

Since I spend my days in music retail now, I can speak from observing that this is a big issue. I understand why Zig, having been burned countless times by many deals with corps, does not make package deals, but if he'd start doing that he would be able to make some real headway with what is in my opinion the best quality product in the marching brass world all around--playing, tone, balance, etc. It's a risk obviously, but it's what you have to do if you want to compete with the likes of Conn-Selmer (King, which I like but still has engineering problems), Yamaha (blech), and Dynasty (Meh...their horns aren't bad, but their construction quality is not what it used to be in the heyday of G bugles).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, OT, but what's Sweet Feet?

It's the Blue Devil equivalent of 'best marcher.'

When selected to a drum corp, are the instruments supplied to the musicians? If they are is it so they all look and sound the same?

Yes on all counts. In Jr corps, the corps itself owns all the gear (except for things like sticks or mouthpieces). In Sr the members tend to own.

You want the same make in instruments to minimize intonation in differences...same for the battery.

The Blue Devils are happy to announce their partnership with Conn/Selmer Read Here for the King line of marching brass.

The Blue Devils are happy to announce their partnership with The Pearl Corporation to use Pearl and Adams percussion equipment.

Edited by Jeff DeMello

From a Dynasty Newsletter,

Dynasty USA / Blue Devils

Dynasty announces the end of an era with the Blue Devils organization. “The Blue Devils have been an amazing partner over the last 10 years. The organizations competition record has set new standards in the drum corps activity and Dynasty was proud to provide the equipment to make them a force over the last decade. The Blue Devils have been a huge part in helping us produce the finest Brass and Percussion instruments on the market. The Blue Devils have pursued many avenues over the last couple of years to create a stronger identity for their organization. The business endeavors of the organization are not in line with maintaining Dynasty’s current market plan. We wish the best for the Blue Devils and look forward to pursuing exciting new avenues for the growth of Dynasty USA." said Mark Schafer President of Dynasty USA.

Good, because I thought those drums sounded like crap. Walking up to BD this year I thought they were an Open class corps based purrely on the sound (not the notes). Hopefully, this begins Dynasty drums march towards the trash heap of history in DCI. Couldn't have happened to a more horrible sounding drum....except maybe Slingerland.

SWEET! :tongue: