Asphalt Cocktail

I heard over the weekend that the Bluecoats are considering John Mackey's "Asphalt Cocktail". I think this would be a great choice for them. I had always thought that the 'Coats would do a great job with his "Kingfishers Catch Fire", but this a great work too.

Have any of you done Asphalt with your bands? I don't think it's been done by a drum corps.

I think it would be great for an Ohio corps to be playing music by Mackey who grew up in central Ohio.

Hope it's true.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, very interesting info you've got there.

Asphalt Cocktail is a really cool new piece by John Mackey. As such, I don't think many groups have played it, as it is quite difficult, and was only premiered earlier this year. (?)

I could see Bluecoats or Crown doing it really well.

In my HS marching band our 3rd movement this year is actually Asphalt Cocktail, it's a really fun piece to play/march and if this news is true then I definitely can't wait to see the Bluecoats do it!

I always saw it as more of a Cadets piece, but I agree it would suit the Bluecoats well

I heard over the weekend that the Bluecoats are considering John Mackey's "Asphalt Cocktail". I think this would be a great choice for them. I had always thought that the 'Coats would do a great job with his "Kingfishers Catch Fire", but this a great work too.

Have any of you done Asphalt with your bands? I don't think it's been done by a drum corps.

I think it would be great for an Ohio corps to be playing music by Mackey who grew up in central Ohio.

Hope it's true.

I thought they were done with Wind Ensemble/Classical pieces, going back to their Jazz/Popular roots. There's a lot of 7/8 in Asphalt Cocktail....you know, the single-bar type, than can't be easily combined into "2-bar 7/4."

I'd put big money on Asphalt Cocktail NOT happening.

I'd love to be wrong, however.

Somebody grap this photo and paste it up here.

http://ostimusic.com/TeacherPhoto.html

This is John Mackey and obviously two senior corp members Clueless and "I'm with Stupid"

Funny as heck.

It's amazing that Mackey is so young to have written such a dynamic piece (a compliment intended). It took me three listenings and a read of the score to understand the piece and I would encourage all not familiar to go have a listen. It's really great!

IMHO, this sounds WAY over Bluecoat's technical ability (past performance is no guarantee of future success). It really sounds like Cadets or Blue Devils to me.

I'm scared Cadets would butcher the piece. Not a big fan of Bocook's drum corps arrangements recently.

I thought they were done with Wind Ensemble/Classical pieces, going back to their Jazz/Popular roots. There's a lot of 7/8 in Asphalt Cocktail....you know, the single-bar type, than can't be easily combined into "2-bar 7/4."

I'd put big money on Asphalt Cocktail NOT happening.

I'd love to be wrong, however.

Jazz comes in all forms! To me this work certainly qualifies for "Symphonic Jazz".