The history of the Westshoremen

I didn't hear the score we recieved at 1996 finals. I remember the hornline going bonkers behind me. The drumline was motionless, due to countless hours of "indoctrination". I wanted to "jump out of my cowboy boots", but didn't. I still hadn't heard the score and asked Mickey Petrone's wife what our score was. I'm kinda proud of the way the line handled things, that night. :satisfied:

Yeah, that was something I had to learn quickly at Reading....no matter what, when they announced our name, the drum captain called us to attention, then back to parade rest after the DM got the prize.

I didn't hear the score we recieved at 1996 finals. I remember the hornline going bonkers behind me. The drumline was motionless, due to countless hours of "indoctrination". I wanted to "jump out of my cowboy boots", but didn't. I still hadn't heard the score and asked Mickey Petrone's wife what our score was. I'm kinda proud of the way the line handled things, that night. :satisfied:

I remember seeing the staff running at us, and as always we weren't flinching. You could tell they coming right at us. Joe ool wouldn't budge. We were yelling "Dude, Joe, break...let us loose"....

nope. at attention Dan plowed me over, followed by Jerry

Yeah, that was something I had to learn quickly at Reading....no matter what, when they announced our name, the drum captain called us to attention, then back to parade rest after the DM got the prize.

oh we took it further. With the all black unis, the face paint, hell for finals we painted our nails black ( KISS was making the comeback and we were into it)...we wanted to scare people.We wanted to look mean and play mean. I remember in 96, the week before finals, some fine folks from NW NY that wear tuxedos saying some #### to us at retreat.

Then we kinda turned and glared.....they shut up

Just got back from Dom's funeral. I think he'd have been happy seeing many of us there talking shop and catching up. He valued the camraderie of this activity so much. Westshore/NJA represented, and I was deeply proud of that.

And remember- if someone has a bad day on the field, "Take off a finger- not the whole hand!" :cool:

God Bless yah, Dom. :worthy:

my favorite Dom line was "remember...no one gets a 10 unless it's the last band on the field. If you do that, you may as well tell everyone else to #### in their hat and go home".

We went last night. Susan looked good, and laughed that I wore black and white, then asked me for my $3

oh we took it further. With the all black unis, the face paint, hell for finals we painted our nails black ( KISS was making the comeback and we were into it)...we wanted to scare people.We wanted to look mean and play mean. I remember in 96, the week before finals, some fine folks from NW NY that wear tuxedos saying some #### to us at retreat.

Then we kinda turned and glared.....they shut up

I heard the stories about their crap. I heard that happened in Hershey as well. Lucky I was not there. I'd have grabbed as many alumni as I could and went to the sidelines. I'll elablorate on that. I DO know at least one Westshore alumni told an ex-Westshore person in that corps to tell everyone there to knock it the %*(^ off and that they should be ashamed of themselves. I'm really proud of the person who did that for sticking up for the corps. They stuck up for the right thing to do and for ALL of us at that moment. And yeah, that person in that corps was a friend of mine when I marched. They daggone well should have been ashamed of themselves, but the word on the street was that this person got a pretty big head over time. He's also a KKY bro, one of the reasons I pledged it, (along with the fact George Parks was a bro), that makes it so he should be even more ashamed of himself. It's not what Kappa is about, period.

You want names,ask Sunday.

There are three times in DCA that I will always treasure: One was when Steel City and Rochester Crusaders tied for 7th at Finals and as we stood side by side in retreat, we "merged" both corps and went off the field together. The second time was when Steel City was at a show in Ontario (1987) with Westshoremen, who were making the first steps to a comeback. Steel lined up and chanted "Westshore, Westshore, Westshore" as the corps marched toward the field, to compete. The third time was in 1992 when some members of Westshore lined up to chant "Steel City", at the Cumberland show, when Steel City was struggling to keep the corps together. Times like these are WORTH remembering. People talking "smack", aren't. just my opinion. :satisfied:

W: I am also KKY. Upsilon/U.C.

Edited by hairbear

:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm Eta Rho, WCU. Jim Kirkwood, Deb Stahl, myself, and the person I mentioned before were also KKY- a few of us on board, which was a good thing. Deb Rabenold, who played Mellophone with us was Tau Beta Sigma.

Mike Bruster, John Bowling, and Bruce Schaffer are all Sinfonians. I think Greg Zimmerman and Jim Czyz also were, Mike would know.

But yeah, H-B, anyone who is a KKY or Sinfonia member knows better to be trying to pick a fight at a contest retreat Larry was all about keeping it in the family BITD if there was gonna be any griping about a certain corps. Frank was also all about reaching out to one another even BITD. I still need to get to that story. What he did at the one Reading show meant a lot to all of us, especially us young 'ins.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm Eta Rho, WCU. Jim Kirkwood, Deb Stahl, myself, and the person I mentioned before were also KKY- a few of us on board, which was a good thing. Deb Rabenold, who played Mellophone with us was Tau Beta Sigma.

Mike Bruster, John Bowling, and Bruce Schaffer are all Sinfonians. I think Greg Zimmerman and Jim Czyz also were, Mike would know.

But yeah, H-B, anyone who is a KKY or Sinfonia member knows better to be trying to pick a fight at a contest retreat Larry was all about keeping it in the family BITD if there was gonna be any griping about a certain corps. Frank was also all about reaching out to one another even BITD. I still need to get to that story. What he did at the one Reading show meant a lot to all of us, especially us young 'ins.

Deb Rabenold! I remember her! you hear from her lately?